Votes: 26 57.8%
  • 3. Other

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1309791605|2961518 said:
I went with BGD - more diamond weight (.35 opposed to .10) and the quality of the diamonds seems better. Both are really pretty!

Ditto this. Def the BGD one!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
karpouzi|1309800637|2961586 said:

Karpouzi, what keywords did you use? I searched for 'sapphire halo pendant' and barely got 5 results!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I searched for the stone and the setting separately.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1309835537|2961775 said:
mayerling|1309805975|2961626 said:
tyty333|1309802036|2961592 said:
Daniel M makes a lovely setting also...you could get the CS folks to help you find a stone and then have daniel m set/mount
it for you.

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/48667076

I'm a bit reluctant to go the custom route because, like I said, the pendant has to reach my relatives in less than two months so they can get it to me; otherwise it'll be too late. Doesn't custom work take longer?

Yes, it does take longer. I'd definitely ask both BN and BGD if their stones are heat only or if they've been BE difused. BE diffused stones are very inexpensive, and I wouldn't pay the pricetag of either of those vendors if their stones are BE diffused. Here is a really stunning sapphire for a very reasonable price http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8779 that will definitely have quick shipping--for the BGD melee, what I'd do is ask BGD what the cost of just the mount would be and ask if they can set or stone, or I'd go with Daniel M who is also very reliable.

Indylady, I checked with BG and the sapphire is just heat-treated, not diffused. I couldn't get more info from BN, though, just what's on their site.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I think BGD or BN is not going to have a lot of info on sapphires; they're mainly diamond vendors. It's a matter of what you want to focus on; for me, the sapphire as center stone, would be the focus. It would have to be the best cut sapphire I could afford before I'd put it in a halo of top quality well cut diamonds. Otherwise, I'd fear the excellent cut quality of the diamonds would just serve to make the sapphire look bad.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
So I guess the problem lies in the fact that I don't really know much about sapphires and these vendors can't provide me with much info on them either.

I've started talking with Daniel M about the possibility of a custom setting of a sapphire that they source, so let's see where that gets me.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Let us know how it goes mayerling. Thanks to your thread, I got the gumption to start my own sapphire project in CS. I may get laughed out of the forum when they read what I want. So I'm learning too. :)

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Update: I talked with Daniel M about the possibility of a custom piece, and even suggested using the sapphire that Indylady pointed to, but the completed piece would be about $300 over budget so it's a no-go.

I'm also discussing the possibility of a custom piece with BG just to see if I can combine the good bits of the BG pendant with those of the BN pendant. Let's see if that would be within budget...

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Have you looked through the catalogs of different casting companies (Stuller, Adwar, Unique Settings, etc.) to see if there is a stock pendant setting that you like? If so, it should be a simple matter of choosing a jeweler to order the setting and set the stones (either stones you select or have them source). It saves money to go this way v. custom.

ETA: Very quickly I found this one at Unique: http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/9911

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
karpouzi|1309968629|2962831 said:
Have you looked through the catalogs of different casting companies (Stuller, Adwar, Unique Settings, etc.) to see if there is a stock pendant setting that you like? If so, it should be a simple matter of choosing a jeweler to order the setting and set the stones (either stones you select or have them source). It saves money to go this way v. custom.

ETA: Very quickly I found this one at Unique: http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/9911

Thanks for the suggestions, karpouzi!

p.s. I see you finally have a "karpouzi" as your avatar ;))

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
mayerling|1309968973|2962837 said:
Thanks for the suggestions, karpouzi!

p.s. I see you finally have a "karpouzi" as your avatar ;))

;)) It is summertime after all.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I voted "other."

I say choose a stone you love and have a setting made for it. This way, you will get exactly what you want. The color of sapphire YOU like may be different from these pre-made pieces.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
asscherisme|1310003142|2963288 said:
I voted other. What about this:

http://myjewelrysource.com/sapphire_pendants/gp5088-sapphire-pendant.htm

I have a beautiful sapphire pendant from them and found the sapphire description to be spot on. I would buy from them again if I were in the market. But I'm on a self imposed break from jewelry :)

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a lovely piece but I'm afraid it's way over budget; I really want to keep it under $1000.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the BN pendant here. I have several pieces of jewelry from BN and the quality of the pieces I received has been superb. Although I know BN is not popular on this site because they don't give all the detailed info on stones that the preferred vendors (WF, BGD, etc) provide, I personally don't think that is as important when you are not dealing with an engagement ring. For pieces like the one you are looking at, I am much more concerned with the appearance of the piece (i.e. are the stones eye-clean, workmanship, etc) than whether the stones are H&A. I honestly can't tell the difference in H&A melee and other high quality melee in small stones. In my experience, the BN quality is a great value for the money, the pieces are similar in quality to other pieces I own from high end jewelers.

It sounds like you have a lot going on right now, so honestly I am not sure if custom is the best route for you at this point. I think if you like one of these pendants I'd go ahead and order it. I don't think you'll be disappointed

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input, Novemberbride. You're right as far as going the custom route is concerned; as it turns out, it's not an option because both Daniel M and BG quoted something about $300 over budget - and that's after I suggested the steal of a sapphire Indylady posted.

So I'm back to square one; I like the design of BN but I also like the diamond quality of BG...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry mayerling, I don't see a pic :?:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayerling|1310159395|2964998 said:
You're right. It's funny because I checked the link when I first posted it but maybe the cart empties out after a few hours?

Let me try once more:

http://www.gemsny.com/sapphire-pendants/Round-Sapphire-And-Round-Diamond-Pendant-P30027BS/

It's very pretty - I like that each diamond is 3 points, just think that will show nicely - not real sure about the bale - and I'm not familiar with the company so don't know about the quality, but just going by description and pic I like it!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
You do realize it says the centerstone isn't included, right? Do you have a sapphire in mind for it, or will that put you over budget?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1310163256|2965063 said:
You do realize it says the centerstone isn't included, right? Do you have a sapphire in mind for it, or will that put you over budget?

Yes, I do. I'm discussing sapphires over in CS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results