color
clarity

POLITICAL--Fascinating Marketing Strategy/Big Data

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wut.

https://antidotezine.com/2017/01/22/trump-knows-you/

I hate to admit this, but I didn't read 1984 until 2 years ago. And I've been blissfully unaware of how much I'm being tracked, recorded, and analyzed (and therefore unknowingly exploited and manipulated.) No puttin' the genie back in the bottle now. :errrr:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you ever watched the re-boot of "Battlestar Galactica", but if you like great, very very very gritty drama masquerading as sci fi, and asking the BIG questions, I highly recommend it. Warn you though, not for the faint of heart, it can be utterly devastating at times.

The premise, if you're not savvy to it, is at some point the robots humans created, the AIs, started their move to kill off their creators by using the massive interconnectedness of cyberspace against us, hence the long war, etc. etc. BSG comes in, in the long war part. However, another series, called "Caprica" that didn't last very long, but was VERY interesting, chronicled the time leading up to the creation of the AIs. It was pretty wild. A time not unlike our own, a near future world, a bit more advanced, with virtual worlds of stunning reality. Think everyone jacked in wearing a very futuristic version of Google Glass. One of the characters is the hyper-genius daughter of a regular genius - and completely amoral - father. There is social unrest, the daughter is killed in a terrorist attack on a train. She is one of the terrorists in fact. Anyhoo, as the shows go on, you find out that the daughter had written software that GATHERED TOGETHER THE DIGITAL FOOTPRINTS of whoever, and which could create in cyber space, a virtually perfect simulacrum of whatever person, including herself. She was able essentially upload herself before she died in the flesh and blood world. At some point she winds up in one of daddy's military robots - one of the cylons.

Lots of religion, big questions, etc. And a whole heap 'o "big data". Maybe one day....? ;))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ksinger, I will give it a shot someday. I think I can handle it, although it may haunt me for the rest of my life... :shock:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Kind of reminds me of the movie" I, Robot", and their threat to humanity.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
non-political:
I have been warning people of big data for 20 years now.
Use a store credit or discount card? Several big companies know what brand toilet paper you bought this month if you bough some and used the card.
They buy a direct line into the databases behind it.

Everything you do online is tracked.
Facebook and google are the big players online and they sell the data.
Everyone uses google google analytics and if you see a Facebook button on a page Facebook is tracking you even if you don't have a Facebook account. Same for twitter and all the other platforms.
The same companies buying the store data is also buying the data from Facebook and google and working hard to put it all together into one profile.

political:
All political parties buy the same data from the same companies.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1485369261|4119680 said:
non-political:
I have been warning people of big data for 20 years now.
Use a store credit or discount card? Several big companies know what brand toilet paper you bought this month if you bough some and used the card.
They buy a direct line into the databases behind it.

Everything you do online is tracked.
Facebook and google are the big players online and they sell the data.
Everyone uses google google analytics and if you see a Facebook button on a page Facebook is tracking you even if you don't have a Facebook account. Same for twitter and all the other platforms.
The same companies buying the store data is also buying the data from Facebook and google and working hard to put it all together into one profile.

political:
All political parties buy the same data from the same companies.

Well one thing I did learn and that is not everyone you deal with needs your social security number.

I will ask why and can other info be provided..

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband told me this just recently and he offered to show me the article he read online about it but I declined. At this point they would have lots of information about me and my family so it is what it is. It's just too scary to think about what "they" know and can do with it. I'll just remain ignorant for my own sanity!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ruby59|1485370172|4119689 said:
Well one thing I did learn and that is not everyone you deal with needs your social security number.

I will ask why and can other info be provided..
Good idea.
It doesn't always help however.
The credit reporting agencies offer a service where you can program it into your software that it will contact them
get the social security number based on other data entered and enter it into your database automatically.
Pricing is secret but a good guess would be $100 down to $20 depending on volume per 1000 requests.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Much like our internet searches are shared with social media sites like Facebook, the next step will use our cellphone messages and phone calls will be used to further fill out our consumer profiles...e.g., talking on the phone with a friend about going to Home Depot, then having Home Depot ads being pulled up as we peruse the internet. This technique could be misused easily and begs the question about privacy and our ability to protect it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
maccers|1485374053|4119728 said:
Much like our internet searches are shared with social media sites like Facebook, the next step will use our cellphone messages and phone calls will be used to further fill out our consumer profiles...e.g., talking on the phone with a friend about going to Home Depot, then having Home Depot ads being pulled up as we peruse the internet. This technique could be misused easily and begs the question about privacy and our ability to protect it.

That already happens on the Internet.

I was looking at some diamond wedding bands recently, and suddenly they started appearing on my aol page and other links I went into.

When my son and his wife were looking for an apartment and used my computer for a search, I suddenly was deluged with ads offering them.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Long ago, I naively had a brief thought that someone who had nothing to hide also had nothing to fear. Sure, I'm presently a law abiding citizen, but who knows what civil disobedience may be in my future? I've participated before and may in the future. Even in a free society rights are threatened.
Our federal government is large and powerful. Are we like the frog slowly simmering until he's cooked?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another step that is already here are smart fridges that know what is in the fridge.
In the fine print they send that data back to the maker who then sells it to big data who then sells it to big corporations and government.
How would you like your health insurance and car insurance rates to go up because you put a six pack of beer a week in your fridge?
The technology is there and there are little to no laws to prevent it.
Oh yea, lets not forget the arbitration clause in the EULA to use the fridge software so you cant join a class action against them to fight it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results