shape
carat
color
clarity

Polish and Symmetry

BlingBling87

Rough_Rock
I am looking at loose diamonds through Leon Mege....

My question is how much of a difference is there between a very good polish vs excellent polish and very good symmetry vs excellent symmetry...

1.5 carat
ex. polish
ex.symm
H
VS2
Depth 61
Table 57

$12,096

1.5 carat
very good. polish
very good.symm
H
VS2
Depth 62
Table 57

$10,631

Is more expensive one worth it? Is it worth it to go up to a G for the same price but a smaller carat size (1.4)? Thoughts?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are many people here who can help you with the specifics of your question, to a degree.

Part of the answer will depend on you and YOUR eyes.

Some people can distinguish VG from Excellent polish, although symmetry is normally needing a loupe to see. At least the physical symmetry.

The true beauty will be determined by the quality of the cutting, including optical symmetry and the size of the virtual facets. For this you will need to provide not only the physical measurements and angles of the diamond, but also the normal images such as Ideal-Scope and ASET that are needed to have an idea of what you are actually going to be getting.

And finally, you will of course, need to see the diamond(s) with YOUR eyes to see if YOU like it.

Wink

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wink|1443135214|3931445 said:
There are many people here who can help you with the specifics of your question, to a degree.

Part of the answer will depend on you and YOUR eyes.

Some people can distinguish VG from Excellent polish, although symmetry is normally needing a loupe to see. At least the physical symmetry.

The true beauty will be determined by the quality of the cutting, including optical symmetry and the size of the virtual facets. For this you will need to provide not only the physical measurements and angles of the diamond, but also the normal images such as Ideal-Scope and ASET that are needed to have an idea of what you are actually going to be getting.

And finally, you will of course, need to see the diamond(s) with YOUR eyes to see if YOU like it.

Wink

I will back up Wink here. There are customers who swear they can tell the tiniest differences in color or polish, and others who do not feel they can distinguish the differences even over broad ranges.

That said, this may be an issue of your own comfort level and what we term the 'mind-clean' diamond. Some people can only purchase top-brand jeans or shoes, while others are perfectly comfortable with a more affordable and just-as-effective alternative. This may be much the same thing. IF the diamonds look virtually identical to the naked eye are you the type of person who will always look at it and be slightly off-put that I "could have" gotten an EX instead of a VG, or a G instead of an H? Or, like some others, will you be happier to say "Man, I saved money and got a great deal and no one's the wiser - I love it!"... Think about how you may feel about the purchase given the parameters from which you will choose.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Blingbling,
We (tradespeople) can't comment on specific diamonds of other sellers, just speaking in general.
I agree with Wink and Brian when it comes to round diamonds.
If it's Fancy Shapes, not so much.
Aspects other than Pol/Sym differences between G-EX can be much less important visually as compared to other aspects in Cushions, Pear Shapes Marquises, Radiant.
Sometimes a cutter can produce a far more attractive Shape or overall sparkle by using the facets in a way the prohibits an EX Symmetry, for technical reasons.
Bottom line is that a given MQ/PS/Rad/Cush of G/G may be far more attractive ( sparkly) than one of Ex/Ex-
Remember, Pol/Sym are NOT a substitute for an overall cut grade.
So, it depends on what shape you're looking at.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results