shape
carat
color
clarity

plus size and regular size bridesmaid dresses

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
my friend has invited me and 5 other people to be bridesmaid in her wedding.

She wants us all to wear the same dress. her bridesmaids from 5'10" size 8 me to a 5'2' size 30.

she wants us all to wear the same dress, and it needs to be short, and not strapless, per the request of some of the girls.

her dress looks like this, and needs to be in the same vein.

I told her i woudl ask you fine folks to see if you had any ideas

traditional bridesmaids websites have them, but the quality is questionable and they are so expensive for what they are.

we thought of Modcloth, but one of the party said the sizes run small and that person is afraid they will not fit.


needs to look good on a range of bodies, needs to come in lots of sizes, needs to be "romantic"

eta: ugh, already asked to moe this

vintage-wedding-dresses-7.jpg
 
Q

Queenie60

Guest
Hi Neil: I have been to a few weddings recently and the bride had the same situation where the women were in different sizes and shapes. They decided to have the bridesmaids wear the same color/fabric but slightly different dress style according to their body type. Take a look at Nordstrom.com - they have had some very nice bridesmaids dresses in the past. You said that she wants everyone to wear the same dress however she may change her mind and be a bit more flexible once she sees what's out there. It's a tough one as these dresses aren't usually well made for the price. Another route would be to have a seamstress make the dresses for you. Wish you luck!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
Queenie60|1445995990|3942815 said:
Hi Neil: I have been to a few weddings recently and the bride had the same situation where the women were in different sizes and shapes. They decided to have the bridesmaids wear the same color/fabric but slightly different dress style according to their body type. Take a look at Nordstrom.com - they have had some very nice bridesmaids dresses in the past. You said that she wants everyone to wear the same dress however she may change her mind and be a bit more flexible once she sees what's out there. It's a tough one as these dresses aren't usually well made for the price. Another route would be to have a seamstress make the dresses for you. Wish you luck!


Yeah wearing different things would be easiest but she doesn't want to do that
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,889
With that range of sizes, I think your best bet is a traditional wedding shop. David has some nice options:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product...600_bridesmaid-dresses-all-bridesmaid-dresses

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product...208_bridesmaid-dresses-all-bridesmaid-dresses

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product...007_bridesmaid-dresses-all-bridesmaid-dresses

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product...--1_bridesmaid-dresses-all-bridesmaid-dresses

You get the idea... ;)) I do think a slight empire waist would work better than a fitted waistline.

Another option would be to work with a local dressmaker and get custom-made dresses. That way you can use better fabrics and construction than you'd likely get with a bridal store dress. But I don't think even going custom would increase the chances that these dresses will be used again...
 

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 2, 2013
Messages
3,409
Niel, I'm wondering
* if the bride wants the dresses to be any particular color or is that up in the air
* if 30W refers to that bridesmaid's usual size or if that's size 30 in wedding wear (which typically runs 1-2 sizes smaller) & how would you describe her body shape (e.g., one of my sisters-law is, I'm guessing, a size 28-30, but has an hourglass figure, so has a definite waist, is not a pear or an apple)
* is any kind of sleeve out of the question
* how much time there is until the wedding
* what price tag you bridesmaids have in mind?
 

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
12,461
I'd recommend going to a bridal shop and getting a traditional bridesmaid's dress than can be made to your measurements.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
MollyMalone|1446012373|3942901 said:
Niel, I'm wondering
* if the bride wants the dresses to be any particular color or is that up in the air
* if 30W refers to that bridesmaid's usual size or if that's size 30 in wedding wear (which typically runs 1-2 sizes smaller) & how would you describe her body shape (e.g., one of my sisters-law is, I'm guessing, a size 28-30, but has an hourglass figure, so has a definite waist, is not a pear or an apple)
* is any kind of sleeve out of the question
* how much time there is until the wedding
* what price tag you bridesmaids have in mind?


She wasn't too particular on color, the bride. As I think she knows she can't be in this endeavor

The size 30 said she's a 26 in some dresses but a 30 in others without stretch, so I was rounding up just to make sure any options suggested was usable.

She's veryround very round in shape

I think like cap sleeves might bridesmaids its an outside wedding in Michigan in July. So that could be 60 and rainy that could be 95 with 85% humidity

The price....ugh. Well I am willing to pay whatever. I don't like it but in my opinion that's what you sign up for when you agree to be a bridesmaid, however, in discussing options with everyone, some of the individuals were unhappy with the (obviously overpriced) amount a lot of bridesmaid websites charge. Thing is, other places don't really have the same dress in both plus and regular sizes
This was what I was thinking, a wrap style dress seems flattering for many,the sleeve would cover up some arms if people are uncomfortable without being hot, and it goes with the wedding dress. However, one of the plus sized bridesmaids says chiffon is a terrible idea. I don't know.

screenshot_2015-10-27-18-21-19_1.jpg
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
J Crew has some lovely Bridesmaid dresses, but I think they only go up to a size 16
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
momhappy|1446032735|3942941 said:
J Crew has some lovely Bridesmaid dresses, but I think they only go up to a size 16
Yeah I checked there.

So far I checked modcloth, dessy, weddington way and db
 

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
5,011
Maybe check out this etsy vendor - CoralieBeatrix - she has a ton of positive reviews and her convertible dresses are made with nylon/spandex or polyester/spandex, and she carries light, medium, and heavier weight stretch fabrics. And there is the option for chiffon or lace overlays. Very reasonably priced too (comparatively speaking). If it were me, I'd want all the bridesmaids to see (and feel) the fabric/color swatches first, prior to ordering. BUT - the dresses are made to order and are Final Sales (no returns or exchanges)...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/234998802/short-octopus-wrap-dress-choose-from?ref=shop_home_active_1

coraliebeatrix_-_il_570xn.jpg
 

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
3,974
Hi Niel!! :wavey: You should also check out Angelina Faccenda bridesmaid dresses (here's are 2 examples but they have others http://www.morilee.com/bridesmaids/angelina_faccenda_bridesmaids/204150 and http://www.morilee.com/bridesmaids/angelina_faccenda_bridesmaids/204360). They are really pretty in person, very nice fabric, different colors to choose from and go up to a size 28.

From experience I think they're a great option - I was in my bf's wedding last year and one of her sisters is plus size (sorry, not sure the size but I've attached a pic below). The dresses were strapless, but it also came with a shawl that her sister used to make cap sleeves.

Additionally, I'm not sure where you're located, but you could contact RK Bridal in NYC. They're prices for "no frills" (meaning you take care of any alterations) are very reasonable and if you ship out of state there's no tax. A group order would just need to be started under the brides name and everyone would just need to provide their measurements.

_35070.jpg
 

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
2,822
It will be the size 30 bridesmaid dress that will determine where the other dresses will be purchased. 5'10 size 8 will not be a problem. If there is anyway to distinguish her (matron/maid of honor) so that she can get a different dress but in the same color it could work. Otherwise you will have to go to bridal shop or custom dressmaker route. Good luck.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
lambskin|1446080328|3943242 said:
It will be the size 30 bridesmaid dress that will determine where the other dresses will be purchased. 5'10 size 8 will not be a problem. If there is anyway to distinguish her (matron/maid of honor) so that she can get a different dress but in the same color it could work. Otherwise you will have to go to bridal shop or custom dressmaker route. Good luck.


well like every woman, i have styles that flatter and styles that dont flatter. Im going to keep my mouth shut and wear whatever she askes because thats what a good bridesmaid does, but the 'ill look good in anything' statement doesnt really fly. Though i appreciate the thought! lol

i would never say this because i :heart: the bride and dont want to cause her any stress, but these women who need the larger sizes (there are two ) are being very demanding about what they will and wont wear. Clearly the bride is trying to be accommodating, but at a certain point she does have the final stay on the aesthetic. The bride is always so concerned everyone is happy i can tell this is stressing her the f out
 

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
1,339
Hi Neil! I haven't read through the comments, so I don't know if this has already been suggested, but ASOS.com has a pretty good selection of bridesmaids dresses which come in tall, plus and regular sizing and there are a good number of dresses in the $100 or less range. I think it would be worth checking out!
 

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
1,339
Niel said:
lambskin|1446080328|3943242 said:
It will be the size 30 bridesmaid dress that will determine where the other dresses will be purchased. 5'10 size 8 will not be a problem. If there is anyway to distinguish her (matron/maid of honor) so that she can get a different dress but in the same color it could work. Otherwise you will have to go to bridal shop or custom dressmaker route. Good luck.


well like every woman, i have styles that flatter and styles that dont flatter. Im going to keep my mouth shut and wear whatever she askes because thats what a good bridesmaid does, but the 'ill look good in anything' statement doesnt really fly. Though i appreciate the thought! lol

i would never say this because i :heart: the bride and dont want to cause her any stress, but these women who need the larger sizes (there are two ) are being very demanding about what they will and wont wear. Clearly the bride is trying to be accommodating, but at a certain point she does have the final stay on the aesthetic. The bride is always so concerned everyone is happy i can tell this is stressing her the f out

Too bad that the some of the girls are being difficult about it. Would she possibly consider just picking a color and having the bridesmaids choose their own dress? I was in my friend's beach wedding and she had the bridesmaids choose their dresses in shades of seaglass (seafoam to teal) and it worked out well. I've also seen this done in hot pink, shades of blush, nude, navy and black. The dresses are different styles, but the color makes them cohesive.

Ultimately it is her "vision" and her decision and anyone who has a problem with it may choose not to participate as a bridesmaid. That may be a difficult line to draw in the sand, but it's also not up to her to cater to each bridesmaid--she's got enough to deal with already! Let's face it, bridesmaids dresses are rarely cute, typically pretty expensive and they never get worn again, but if these girls care about the bride and want to be in the wedding they need to suck it up!
 

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
2,860
Just a word of caution around those flexible/convertible stretchy jersey dresses mentioned earlier... Yes they do fit everyone which is great BUT they also show literally everything underneath ie. You need very good invisible underwear else you can see every bump, nipple, panty line etc.... I wore one recently as bridesmaid & it cost me a fortune to get it professionally hemmed (Dont try it at home -TRUST ME! :oops:) and special convertible bra that wouldn't show. I understand it can be difficult finding identical dresses for a wide range of body sizes & I agree with the others the bride may need to be a little more flexible.
 

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
3,988
HotPozzum|1446358685|3944425 said:
Just a word of caution around those flexible/convertible stretchy jersey dresses mentioned earlier... Yes they do fit everyone which is great BUT they also show literally everything underneath ie. You need very good invisible underwear else you can see every bump, nipple, panty line etc.... I wore one recently as bridesmaid & it cost me a fortune to get it professionally hemmed (Dont try it at home -TRUST ME! :oops:) and special convertible bra that wouldn't show. I understand it can be difficult finding identical dresses for a wide range of body sizes & I agree with the others the bride may need to be a little more flexible.

+1

They aren't easy to style nicely, either, and usually leave a lot of back exposed.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
Lady_Disdain|1446406859|3944559 said:
HotPozzum|1446358685|3944425 said:
Just a word of caution around those flexible/convertible stretchy jersey dresses mentioned earlier... Yes they do fit everyone which is great BUT they also show literally everything underneath ie. You need very good invisible underwear else you can see every bump, nipple, panty line etc.... I wore one recently as bridesmaid & it cost me a fortune to get it professionally hemmed (Dont try it at home -TRUST ME! :oops:) and special convertible bra that wouldn't show. I understand it can be difficult finding identical dresses for a wide range of body sizes & I agree with the others the bride may need to be a little more flexible.

+1

They aren't easy to style nicely, either, and usually leave a lot of back exposed.

That's exactly what I thought would happen with those wrappy dresses too, so thank you for confirming that.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
tuffyluvr|1446329546|3944307 said:
Niel said:
lambskin|1446080328|3943242 said:
It will be the size 30 bridesmaid dress that will determine where the other dresses will be purchased. 5'10 size 8 will not be a problem. If there is anyway to distinguish her (matron/maid of honor) so that she can get a different dress but in the same color it could work. Otherwise you will have to go to bridal shop or custom dressmaker route. Good luck.


well like every woman, i have styles that flatter and styles that dont flatter. Im going to keep my mouth shut and wear whatever she askes because thats what a good bridesmaid does, but the 'ill look good in anything' statement doesnt really fly. Though i appreciate the thought! lol

i would never say this because i :heart: the bride and dont want to cause her any stress, but these women who need the larger sizes (there are two ) are being very demanding about what they will and wont wear. Clearly the bride is trying to be accommodating, but at a certain point she does have the final stay on the aesthetic. The bride is always so concerned everyone is happy i can tell this is stressing her the f out

Too bad that the some of the girls are being difficult about it. Would she possibly consider just picking a color and having the bridesmaids choose their own dress? I was in my friend's beach wedding and she had the bridesmaids choose their dresses in shades of seaglass (seafoam to teal) and it worked out well. I've also seen this done in hot pink, shades of blush, nude, navy and black. The dresses are different styles, but the color makes them cohesive.

Ultimately it is her "vision" and her decision and anyone who has a problem with it may choose not to participate as a bridesmaid. That may be a difficult line to draw in the sand, but it's also not up to her to cater to each bridesmaid--she's got enough to deal with already! Let's face it, bridesmaids dresses are rarely cute, typically pretty expensive and they never get worn again, but if these girls care about the bride and want to be in the wedding they need to suck it up!

She's hell bent on all of us wearing the same dress, but honestly I would be surprised if she doesn't change her mind by the end.
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,312
eshakti.com

They have a bridal line, but many of their dresses could be worn as bm dresses. They carry stock sizes 0-34/36 and you can pay to customize any garment to your size measurements for a $7.50 fee.

ETA: you can also customize any dress by changing the length, sleeves, neckline, etc.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
liaerfbv|1446586293|3945279 said:
eshakti.com

They have a bridal line, but many of their dresses could be worn as bm dresses. They carry stock sizes 0-34/36 and you can pay to customize any garment to your size measurements for a $7.50 fee.

ETA: you can also customize any dress by changing the length, sleeves, neckline, etc.
Thank you off to look now !
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
31,477
I'm so glad I'll never get married, be in a wedding, or go to a wedding.

What a big headache.
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,889
liaerfbv|1446586293|3945279 said:
eshakti.com

They have a bridal line, but many of their dresses could be worn as bm dresses. They carry stock sizes 0-34/36 and you can pay to customize any garment to your size measurements for a $7.50 fee.

ETA: you can also customize any dress by changing the length, sleeves, neckline, etc.

Wow - they have some really nice styles.
 

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
5,011
PSA:

I was checking out the eShakti website and found several things I really liked.

Then I googled "eShakti review" (I do this with all new-to-me potential vendors I'm considering).

This BBB link came up which gives eShakti an "F" grade - http://www.bbb.org/alaskaoregonwesternwashington/business-reviews/womens-apparel-retail/eshakti-in-bellevue-wa-13026771/

and note this:

"On October 29, 2015, BBB recognized a pattern of complaints regarding concerning delivery, product and refund issues. Consumers claim there is a significant delay in receiving their ordered products, and the business is unresponsive to inquiries about their order status. Consumers allege that custom ordered products are delivered in the incorrect size and there is a delay in receiving refunds.

eShakti has responded to complaints by offering refunds, credits, providing tracking numbers and/or confirming delivery."

Just an fyi...
 

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
1,539
My brother got married this summer, and I was in the wedding. The bride chose dresses from Azazie.com. You could either go with stock sizes, or your own custom measurements for the same price. Since they are shipping from overseas, it was a pretty good lead time, I think 5 weeks. Make sure you order color swatches if you do consider going that way. Our experience was good. Dresses were gorgeous, but we did have a zipper issue. It was because the dress we got had an invisible zipper, and a lot of pleats and gathering right up to the zipper, which made getting in and out of the dress a little challenging. Overall, very positive and I would order again.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
19,593
marymm|1446654918|3945616 said:
PSA:

I was checking out the eShakti website and found several things I really liked.

Then I googled "eShakti review" (I do this with all new-to-me potential vendors I'm considering).

This BBB link came up which gives eShakti an "F" grade - http://www.bbb.org/alaskaoregonwesternwashington/business-reviews/womens-apparel-retail/eshakti-in-bellevue-wa-13026771/

and note this:

"On October 29, 2015, BBB recognized a pattern of complaints regarding concerning delivery, product and refund issues. Consumers claim there is a significant delay in receiving their ordered products, and the business is unresponsive to inquiries about their order status. Consumers allege that custom ordered products are delivered in the incorrect size and there is a delay in receiving refunds.

eShakti has responded to complaints by offering refunds, credits, providing tracking numbers and/or confirming delivery."

Just an fyi...


Whats funny is I had heard of this company before, just in passing, on Facebook whatever. I always just assumed they were bad, until this thread, then you say that
 

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
1,475
Hmm that's hard! I hope she changes her mind on the matching dresses. It will be challenging to find something that will flatter everyone especially if you all have different body shapes.

I've never shopped there but David's Bridal is recommended on another forum and have over 120 bridesmaids styles that go up to size 26 and 80 that go up to 30.

www.davidsbridal.com

Maybe go shopping with the other bridesmaids and try on styles together.

_738.png

_739.png

_740.png
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
    Jewels Of The Week: June 2022
    Jewels Of The Week: June 2022 - 06/24
    Natural Diamond Prices - June 2022
    Natural Diamond Prices - June 2022 - 06/21
    LGBTQ+ Jewelers You Need To Know About
    LGBTQ+ Jewelers You Need To Know About - 06/19
Top