shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help - deciding between two diamonds.

Diamnond 1 (Princess) or 2 (Brilliant)

• Brilliant

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Please help me decide upon these two diamonds in terms of value for money.

Princess Cut 1Ct

Round Brilliant 0.7Ct

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
A princess is really different from a round. Is the stone for you? I think that shape is really a personal choice.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d much prefer an orange right now over an apple. I think once you figure out what you want then you can find the right deal.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I should clarify.

I like both cuts.

Given the proportions and angles above, which would the better cut (or better looking) stone is what I'm after?

And although on the HCA, the round brilliant scores <1 - the table and angles are slightly off compared to the AGS ideal cut. The princess cut is ideal although obviously the depth is higher than what some prefer and therefore the 1Ct only measures 5.5 x 5.5 across.

So the question I'm specirfically asking is - what would the round brilliant in those proportions / cut / angles look like and what does a someone who's used to looking at diamonds think (i.e. their opinion) on the dimensions of the stones? I would be interested in what G. Holloway thinks about the above set of numbers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanalasta, Garry does check in when he can and he might be able to run DiamCalc on the round for you and advise you on the Princess. Also our moderators might see your thread and be able to help you. Also E VVS on the Princess are flying the kite very high colour and clarity wise, unless you want the best of both, you could drop those if you wished and still have a very clean and white diamond, you don't mention the colour and clarity of the round or the diameter measurements of it?

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am more interested in what the diamondcalc and pricescope opinion on the round brilliant is as the dimensions are not quite 'ideal cut' according to AGS standards (i.e. table 58%, Pavillion depth only 43%).

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
one thing to consider is that while princess shapes are very trendy right now, I think that they have had their day and are on the way out. remember marquises from the 80's?

i am beginning to see princesses in the used diamond market. we will start seeing princesses in pawn shops and people getting rid of them because they were overdone and now out of style. i believe one day soon you will look down and go "why did i buy this?". they will be dated and will date you and your marriage.

can't go wrong with a round (or a pear
1.gif
)

if you want a square shape have you seen the square hearts and arrows? flanders? something different from the herd ?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the round, since like ladykemma, I think it is a more timeless shape. I certainly wouldn''t pay 30% more for the princess stone which is close to the same size face-up as the round. But I wouldn''t consider buying an E IF either. You are paying a huge mark-up for that color and clarity. I''d certainly go to an F or G color and VS1, VS2, or even VVS2 in an ideal cut round if I wanted a very high color and clarity diamond.

Here are a few examples of ideal cut rounds in E-F color so you can compare:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191600.htm $3965. F VS1 .741

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191618.htm $4425. E VS1 .783

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-191599.htm $4025. F VS2 .808

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''ve been doing a fair bit of reading on the pricescope forums. The other question I have is how much would starlength affect the visual appearance of the diamond? The round brilliant star length is 45% whereas a lot of other posts prefer 50%.

Thanks for everybody''s help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results