shape
carat
color
clarity

"plenty of time"

merbear1215

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies (I have done a lot of posts lately, sorry!!)

My wedding is 10/24. I ordered the dress on 6/5 and was told it was due to arrive on 8/20...then after some phone calls 9/5...then some more phone calls, 9/15, and now end of the month. I realize my time frame was short, and I was willing to pay more to have the dress expedited, but per the information they gave me, there should have been no need.

The ladies at the bridal shop keep telling me I have "plenty of time." I just don't feel like I do! I know other people getting married after me and they have already had their fittings. I understand in their line of work, they might see this kind of thing happen a lot, but this is my first (hopefully) only, so to me this is a big deal.

And I agree, I would have plenty of time (or at least enough time) if the dress was already here and I just needed alterations. But it still hasn't arrived!! And what makes me the most nervous is the delivery date keeps being pushed back. I asked them "what is to keep it from going from the end of the month, to the first week in October, etc. " since I have head this all before. The manager said she felt very confident it would be in by the end of the month.....wish I felt as confident :confused:

Has this happened to you guys?? And did you get your dress and was everything ok???? Do you think I need to start considering some type of back up plan?

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, mer! So sorry you have this stress!

Question for you - did you order your dress true to the size you are now?

My thoughts... if the dress is likely to be close to your current size, then hopefully, your alterations shouldn't be too complicated. If I were you, I would talk to whoever is doing your alterations now to see if they can talk you through how long normal alterations take and what the latest possible date would be for you to start alterations to still have the dress on time. I think if you know that date, you may realize that you truly do have "plenty of time" or you'll realize that you do, in fact, need to start coming up with a back up plan soon.

My wedding is the day before yours, and I just had my first fitting a week ago. I need to have the dress (which is lace) taken in by about two sizes, have it shortened, and have a shrug made. When I asked the seamstress when I could come back for the next fitting, she was very relaxed about it and sort of put the ball in my court - "What works for you? Two weeks? Three weeks from now?" I am telling you that only because I got the feeling that if I needed things in a rush, I could have come back the following week or sooner.

So... maybe talking to your seamstress will give you more insight.

Good luck!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry that your salon is putting you in this position, Merbear :(

I'm sure that you really will have "plenty of time" (although if someone says that to me one more time in relation to wedding planning I'm going to hurt them). However, I'm a Type A planner kind of girl so I'd be using this time to talk to the seamstress as CurlySue suggested and also hunt down an alternative dress just in case. If you have an alternative you know how long you can wait before you pull the back-up trigger, and Murphy's Law then says you probably won't need it :bigsmile:

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Merbear,

I think you've gotten good advice so far. I would talk to the seamstress first, and find out when is the latest you can get the dress in and have the changes made. Then talk to the dress shop again and find out a guaranteed date of receiving the date, or of then getting a refund. And depending on those answers, I might start to look into an alternative in case your first dress doesn't arrive in time.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
You poor thing, how frustrating! My guess is that manufacturer is either being slow, or it's taking awhile to get through customs. I see things like this all of the time and I know how nervous you must be!

I bet it will be here in the next couple of weeks, and most seamstresses can work fast if they have to. What state are you located in? If your seamstress says she can't do it, maybe some other girls on the board will have some recommendations.

For reference, the seamstress we work with can be amazingly fast if need be. One time we had a dress come in on a Wednesday (the customer knew all along it would come in the week of her wedding when she ordered) and her wedding was Saturday. It was a lace ballgown that needed some delicate work. She looked stunning on her wedding day and the dress fit her like a glove.

I'm so sorry your gown is running late!

merbear1215

Rough_Rock
IT ARRIVED!!!! Phew, thank you guys so much for support. Seamstress says there will be no problem getting it in time for the wedding!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! I'm so glad for you!! What a relief.

diamondbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Oh good! I'm so happy for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results