shape
carat
color
clarity

Please watch this most amazing nature documentary

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad that I watched it.I don't like to see any animal killed in the nature documentaries as a rule but this is part of the Octapus's story & she was not killed by any predator......nature takes it's course. I thought it was an insight into what goes on beneath the waves plus an extra shot of magic!

@kenny and @Made in London. I watched it last night, and agreed that it was a beautifully made and very educational documentary of the normal circle of life.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scientists from anthropologists to quantum theorists understand that even observing something changes the behavior of the object being observed. A human inserted himself into the life of an animal that would otherwise not have contact with humans. That is not its normal aquatic cycle of life. Had said human not developed a relationship with the octopus, not have actively participated in the life cycle of the octopus, perhaps one could soothe oneself and say it was an educational documentary about the life cycle of certain aquatic creatures. Instead, it was a documentary about the hubris of humanity.

I understand that when humans have the opportunity to intimately interact with wildlife, there's a better chance those humans will develop respect and appreciation for them and perhaps even become better stewards of animals' environments. Fingers crossed for a better life for all of us.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I have seen it and think it's a lovely story of this man's appreciation for nature and how attached he got to this octopus. What a privilege it would have been for him to get to go out there and visit her every day and form a bond like that.

I love animals and feel hopeful for the future when I see people show interest in them :)

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I watched this today and really enjoyed it. I just read through this thread and some of the comments have really given me something to think about. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it now, although I found it visually stunning and I loved learning about this amazing animal. Nature is truly mind blowing! I think that the bond that can develop between humans and animals is pretty incredible and I can understand being very moved by it. I am very moved by it. I do think humans are nuts who think that they are so much better than animals. I get a little worked up in my own head as I get older about the very idea of "pets" as if we could or should ever "own" another living thing. I could go on but I will not, lol.. that being said, I currently have two captives that I share my home and life with..

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @kenny for bringing this sensitive and beautiful documentary to my attention. I cried, lots of tears, nature documentaries are not normally watched in our household because, well I just can't get through how tough nature really is... survival of the fittest. Anyway, I felt that Craig Foster did not come across as some terrible villian taking advantage of the trust of the octopus. He was documenting his year long experience, and it was a revelation to him emotionally and professionally. Do you think he should have intervened and shot the shark?? I think not, and to be fair he even tried to feed the octopus after her attack. And the comment from a poster about him being divorced was so inappropriate IMO. This was a tender documentary, and I wish that more people would watch it and maybe the world would be a better place. I wish that we could treat each other with sensitively too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All posts considered, I'm very glad I started this thread.

I've learned and been given lots to think about, by the film itself and by the community input.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just won an Oscar for the best documentary of the year.
Damn, I have good taste! :dance:

Did they announce what an evil meanie the camera(wo)man was, at the end, to to not turn off the camera so (s)he could fight the shark to save the octopus?

Last edited:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so pleased to hear that it won an Oscar for best doc of the year. So well deserved=)2

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I just saw the trailer after reading this thread and hope to watch it. I know that after laying eggs all female octopi die so from what I understand the man would not be able to "save" her - in any case the death part sounds very disturbing but I am still intrigued.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results