shape
carat
color
clarity

Please watch this most amazing nature documentary

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"My Octopus Teacher" is now streaming on Netflix.
I don't want to reveal much about it, spoiling its surprising treasures.

Last edited:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
It's not showing over here in UK yet but I'll watch out for it. I love nature docs=)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octopus, I love you.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I found it! I've just watched it & it was amazing! Thanks for sharing Kenny=)2

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MIL, I'm so glad you watched it.
Frankly, I'll be glad anyone watches it.
Some members see some of my posts as unpleasant, or worse, so I don't hold it against them if they dismiss anything I post.
I remember the boy who cried wolf so often that he was ignored when announcing something really important.

But this time I wish I had the wholesome PS reputation of, say, missy :kiss2: behind my recommendation.
What they managed to catch on camera blows my mind.
How could he (and the camera) just happen to be there under water for all these fleeting and astonishing moments.
I was incredulous as I watched it.

Of course film makers have been setting up unlikely "natural" situations for the camera ever since nature documentaries have been made, but this cinematography was just over-the-top astonishing, as is the story itself.

MIL to help others find it can you reveal where you found it?

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some members see some of my posts as unpleasant, or worse, so I don't hold it against them if they dismiss anything I post.
I remember the boy who cried wolf being ignored.

But this time I wish I had the wholesome PS reputation of, say, missy :kiss2: behind my recommendation.
How could he (and the camera) just happen to be there under water for all these astonishing moments.

Of course film makers have been setting up unlikely "natural" situations for the camera ever since documentaries have been made, but this cinematography was just over-the-top astonishing, as is the story itself.

Kenny I’m always on your side. And I love Octopi.

I can’t watch the documentary because I get upset when I see nature in action and animals die. I’m weak and imperfect that way. March of the Penguins was a traumatic experience for me.

I respect and admire and adore the Octopus. Smart, sensitive and amazing.

Everyone who can should watch this documentary. And learn how wondrous the Octopus is. ❤️

I’ll give it another try. With plenty of tissues handy. Thanks Kenny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you missy. :))

I understand what you're saying.
In spite of some tearjerker moments IMO you'll be glad you watched this moving film.
It is the most pro animal-lover thing I've ever seen.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you missy. :))

I understand what you're saying.
In spite of some tearjerker moments IMO you'll be glad you watched this moving film.
It is the most pro animal-lover thing I've ever seen.

❤️

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has no spoilers.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can’t watch the documentary because I get upset when I see nature in action and animals die. I’m weak and imperfect that way. March of the Penguins was a traumatic experience for me.

Everyone who can should watch this documentary. And learn how wondrous the Octopus is. ❤️

Omg I’m the same way. I can’t watch nature documentaries cause I get sad if the lion doesn’t catch the gazelle cause then it goes hungry but I’m also sad if it does kill the gazelle cause the gazelle died. :(

Also now that I have a cat I especially can’t watch things with big cats in them because I just want to rescue them all to make them indoor cats. They’ll be comfier and live longer! Haha. And yes I know that’s not how wild big cats work and they need lots of space but I can’t help the sentiment. I look at my snoring house panther and all big cats just become fur babies to me.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I watched it with my 10 year old. We enjoyed it. I cried....

She now gets very upset if she sees calamari on a menu!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Let me know how you get on Missy
i want to watch it but im scared something bad will happen to octy

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched it a couple of months ago and I hated it. The photography is amazing, but I found his 'affect the environment but now just stand back and watch' approach was heinous. By the time you've inserted yourself into the picture and know that those animals have accected you, trust you, and have changed their daily routine to accommodate you, you need to pick a side. To stand back and watch them torn apart (@missy - yes - be ready for that part) is irresponsible, in my opinion. That animal trusted him, and he did nothing to help it when it was in distress.

When I watched the movie, I came away thinking "Yeah - and I know why you're divorced, buddy" - which also jelled with his own comments about his life and his personality.

Interestingly, my extremely pro-animal god daughter, who watched it with me, was equally incensed. Like - furious.

The camera work is fabulous. But the outcome is cruel, in my opinion. To see this as 'pro animal', just because he went there every day to record them, is a misnomer in the extreme. He hurt that animal. And I can't tolerate that.

He was voyeuristic and a passive observer, while those animals were all in. It was their LIFE and he just stuck a camera in their faces. At the end, he swam away and accepted their deaths as 'nature taking its course' - which just goes to show to what extent he sees animals as less than humans: had that been a human, or his own child, he would never have just recorded its slow and excruciating death. The whole "I can't get involved" argument is a cop out - he was ALREADY involved.

Hated it. Absolutely enraged at the end of it, and still am.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b, yes as I said it has tearjerker tissue moments, but this is a nature doc not a Disney movie.
I found it to be brilliant and heartwarming octopus education.

IMO the film has way more pro than con and the con is simply observing nature in the wild not the human "hurting" the animal.
But as always, people vary.

I'm looking forward to everyone's reactions.

You wrote, "When I watched the movie, I came away thinking "Yeah - and I know why you're divorced, buddy"
What an unfair put down of anyone who has had a divorce. :nono:

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You wrote, "When I watched the movie, I came away thinking "Yeah - and I know why you're divorced, buddy"
... and what a terrible put down to anyone who has had a divorce. :nono:

I get why that might rub the wrong way. But logically speaking, saying “person x has y trait, i can see why they ended up z” isn’t the same as saying all folk involved in z has y trait.

Ie: Oh, he really really loves all things orange, I can see why he adopted an orange cat. Makes sense. But doesn’t insinuate that all orange cat owners love the color orange.

I’m divorced and generally don’t assume people taking shots at someone specific who is divorced is a shot at all divorcees.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrs-b, yes as I said it has tearjerker tissue moments, but this is a nature doc not a Disney movie.

IMO the film has way more pro than con and the con is simply observing nature in the wild not the human "hurting" the animal.

Oh no
Thanks @mrs-b
i can't watch stuff like that
Thanks for the warning

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched it a couple of months ago and I hated it. The photography is amazing, but I found his 'affect the environment but now just stand back and watch' approach was heinous. By the time you've inserted yourself into the picture and know that those animals have accected you, trust you, and have changed their daily routine to accommodate you, you need to pick a side. To stand back and watch them torn apart (@missy - yes - be ready for that part) is irresponsible, in my opinion. That animal trusted him, and he did nothing to help it when it was in distress.

When I watched the movie, I came away thinking "Yeah - and I know why you're divorced, buddy" - which also jelled with his own comments about his life and his personality.

Interestingly, my extremely pro-animal god daughter, who watched it with me, was equally incensed. Like - furious.

The camera work is fabulous. But the outcome is cruel, in my opinion. To see this as 'pro animal', just because he went there every day to record them, is a misnomer in the extreme. He hurt that animal. And I can't tolerate that.

He was voyeuristic and a passive observer, while those animals were all in. It was their LIFE and he just stuck a camera in their faces. At the end, he swam away and accepted their deaths as 'nature taking its course' - which just goes to show to what extent he sees animals as less than humans: had that been a human, or his own child, he would never have just recorded its slow and excruciating death. The whole "I can't get involved" argument is a cop out - he was ALREADY involved.

Hated it. Absolutely enraged at the end of it, and still am.

Thanks @mrs-b. You know me and I appreciate you looking out for me. I just can’t watch that happen. :(

Let me know how you get on Missy
i want to watch it but im scared something bad will happen to octy

I’m sorry Daisy. I don’t think either of us could bear to watch it. :((

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @mrs-b. You know me and I appreciate you looking out for me. I just can’t watch that happen. :(

I’m sorry Daisy. I don’t think either of us could bear to watch it. :((

I hate those African ones where endangered animals are starving to death and no one does anything except documenting how cruel nature can be

I'd be ordering up a truck load of frozen chickens and fresh veggies

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a fascinating Youtube channel called Octolab. Short 5 minute videos with all kinds of experiments. love it and have been watching for quite some time. Will watch the documentar. Thanks for the rec.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you think so? And of course, you're entitled to your opinion, tho how you've extrapolated my comment to 'anyone who has had a divorce' utterly escapes me.

He himself spoke of his wife telling him he was disconnected and I suspect her opinion is fairly informed. He also spoke of checking out, emotionally. Perhaps you missed those parts? It fitted with his comments about his son and the problems in their relationship, as well as how he interacted with animals.

Frankly, I'd call my opinion not only fair, but straight from the source. It takes a certain kind of person to watch an animal - any animal - that loves you being torn apart and keep a camera rolling. The old "just observing nature" thing works for some people. It doesn't work for me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate those African ones where endangered animals are starving to death and no one does anything except documenting how cruel nature can be ...

They educate the public.
Education can influence and lead to real change, like the ban on the trading of ivory, and tortoise shell, whaling, reducing human activity that causes climate change, etc.

As they say, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Nature is cruel you say?
I hope you're a vegan who lives in a cave who buys zero stuff from society, aka as a wild animal.

Nature is natural.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They educate the public.
Education can influence and lead to real change, like the ban on the trading of ivory, and tortoise shell, whaling, reducing human activity that causes climate change, etc.

As they say, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Nature is cruel you say?
I hope you're a vegan who lives in a cave who buys zero stuff from society, aka as a wild animal.

Nature is natural.

Of course im not a vegan

we have laws to protect farm animals and companion animals from suffering from starvation and cruelty that are regularly enforced

I don't eat octy or squid
i do eat beef and lamb because they have a good life here living outside not indoors in cages or barns
I think the way we catch fish is incredibly cruel and wasteful

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
This thread with its varying viewpoints has definitely piqued my interest! Off to search for this Octo-documentary!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... My contribution to this thread is invaluable. I know.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I remember the boy who cried wolf so often that he was ignored when announcing something really important.

How could he (and the camera) just happen to be there under water for all these fleeting and astonishing moments.

Of course film makers have been setting up unlikely "natural" situations for the camera ever since nature documentaries have been made, but this cinematography was just over-the-top astonishing, as is the story itself.

MIL to help others find it can you reveal where you found it?

My husband put in a search for it in the documentaries section & typed out My Octapus teacher & up it popped!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MIL. :))

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks MIL. :))

I am so glad that I watched it.I don't like to see any animal killed in the nature documentaries as a rule but this is part of the Octapus's story & she was not killed by any predator......nature takes it's course. I thought it was an insight into what goes on beneath the waves plus an extra shot of magic!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results