shape
carat
color
clarity

Please tell me about your favorite veggie recipes

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to add more veggies to my diet. I get so bored eating the same roasted cauliflower/broccoli/potatoes. Please give me your favorites or tell me your favorite veggies and how you prepare them!

I appreciate all the help I can get on the quest to eat healthier.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That said.....I am breaking out of my box a little bit today. I batch cooked some veggies today for my fridge. I find I eat much better when things are cooked and ready to go and I can just heat it up. So today I made...

Roasted green beans-roasted to the point of crispy-salt and peppered

Spagetti squash-roasted. Then I shredded it and sautéed it with mushrooms and onions and added a bit of Romano cheese.

Roasted yukon gold potatoes chunks

Roasted sweet potatoes slices. This one is really good. Usually, I just bake them and eat them like a baked potato but sliced into rounds and roasted give you some nice crunch bits to some of them. yum.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
One that I've been doing a lot lately is tomatoes with balsamic glaze (buy the already reduced glaze at the store, don't make your own. I almost killed my self with toxic vinegar fumes lol). Just cherry tomatoes with salt, pepper, and balsamic. Fresh basil and red onions are an awesome addition too. You can eat them raw (that's how I pack them for my lunch) or you can heat them in a pan or roast them until they are just about ready to "pop".

Maple glazed carrots are yummy. I just go bonkers for garlic green beans. I'll put some red onions and almond slivers to "beef them up" sometimes. I also love regular ole peas. Simple, little bit of onion, garlic, and butter if you like. Super easy. I'm a vegetarian so many times I roast portobello caps as my "entree"... they taste eerily like meat!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ermagherd I puffy heart grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, some light seasoning, arugula or basil chopped and fig balsamic. Very summery, though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's some of my faves.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mustard-roasted-potatoes-recipe.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.html (sometimes I add chopped bacon to these. Yum)

http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-16-roasted-cloves-of-garlic-106251

And the one we probably eat most, is where I largely chop onions, yellow squash, zuchinni and various colored peppers (no green for me) and toss them in light olive oil, and the seasoning mix that came with our Holland grill. We then grill them for about 45 minutes. Our grill grid isn't the typical style, it is a grid with small holes, over indirect heat. You can do them in the oven, and if you never had them grilled, you might think they're just fine.....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I regularly make cauliflower rice, so easy, just blend in a food processor and I add Kerrygold butter, salt and pepper. I also swear by sprinkling pumpkin pie spice on sweet potatoes before baking. Cut them up in chunks,drizzle avocado oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt and then sprinkle the pumpkin pie spice. I bake at 375. So good!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No recipe.

I just chop em up and microwave them.
No butter, no salt ... just my teeth.

It's quick, easy, cheap, healthy.
It took a while but I got used to not having my head blown off with all that other endorphin-producing stuff.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1481590293|4106733 said:
Here's some of my faves.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mustard-roasted-potatoes-recipe.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.html (sometimes I add chopped bacon to these. Yum)

http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-16-roasted-cloves-of-garlic-106251

And the one we probably eat most, is where I largely chop onions, yellow squash, zuchinni and various colored peppers (no green for me) and toss them in light olive oil, and the seasoning mix that came with our Holland grill. We then grill them for about 45 minutes. Our grill grid isn't the typical style, it is a grid with small holes, over indirect heat. You can do them in the oven, and if you never had them grilled, you might think they're just fine.....

Thank you, Ellen! I have actually made the Brussels sprout recipe before and so something very similar with cauliflower-adding red onions. I roast the heck out of it, I like it almost burned.

I hadn't thought about doing a lot grilled for some reason even though I use my grill several times a week. What kind of spices?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonnyjane and Pinto, I love tomatoes and mozzarella and balsamic! I am a huge balsamic fan and eat salads with it all summer long! I didn't even think of doing that anymore since the weather has turned California chilly, which to the rest of the country is downright warm, I know. Although in the winter tomatoes are just not as good. But in a pinch that can easily be a meal to me!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1481591446|4106741 said:
I regularly make cauliflower rice, so easy, just blend in a food processor and I add Kerrygold butter, salt and pepper. I also swear by sprinkling pumpkin pie spice on sweet potatoes before baking. Cut them up in chunks,drizzle avocado oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt and then sprinkle the pumpkin pie spice. I bake at 375. So good!

StephanieLynn, I have been wanting to try some riced cauliflower recipes-like pizza made from riced cauliflower. I LOVE Kerrygold! Isn't it just the best. It is amazing how much different it is from plain butter-much fresher tasting. I just saw it at Aldi's the other day too, so I may not have to worry about Costco not stocking it anymore!

I will have to try the pumpkin pie spice on the sweet potatoes. Although that would just make my kids want to eat them. My sons came home today and all started chowing on all I had cooked. Seriously, these people need to cook their own food! They are old!!! I thought that they might leave the veggies alone-no such luck.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to mention perhaps my FAVORITE vegetable - broccolini!! Just sauté with garlic, salt, and pepper (and of course olive oil or butter if you like). It's great by itself or mixed in with penne and pine nuts.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BeekeeperBetty|1481593458|4106749 said:
Does it have to be all veggie? I have a persimmon and green bean recipe that is pretty good, but it has bacon in it.

What about soup? I make this: http://www.copykat.com/2010/10/30/curried-pumpkin-bisque/ but I use hot curry and top with sour cream and cilantro.

I've never made this recipe, but I'm pretty much addicted to these at one of our local Mexican restaurants.

http://www.mexicanplease.com/taqueria-style-pickled-jalapenos-carrots/

Betty, I would love to try the persimmon and green bean recipe. I am not opposed to a little bacon. That sounds right up my alley. Curried pumpkin soups sounds good too but the jalapeños might be just a little to hot for me.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix cannelloni beans with feta cheese, scallions, black olives, salt, pepper, pinot grigio vinegar, basil, chopped red pepper, and olive oil to get a base with some protein. You can add in any vegetables that you like for a nice bean salad that is balanced protein and veggies.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brussel sprouts take on new life when cut in half and roasted with aged balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I add crispy fried pancetta to them right before serving.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love Acorn (winter squash) squash. Theyre the dark green ones shaped like acorns with a yellow center. I halve them, scoop out the seeds, put about a tablespoon of butter in each half's center, and then add brown sugar, raisins, nutmeg, and fresh ground cinnamon. Bake at 375-400 for 45 minutes on a pan lined with tin foil. Such a great fall/winter veggie treat. Alterately, you can make a savory version using butter/salt/pepper/whatever other seasonings tickle your fancy.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1481604124|4106782 said:
Ellen|1481590293|4106733 said:
Here's some of my faves.

Thank you, Ellen! I have actually made the Brussels sprout recipe before and so something very similar with cauliflower-adding red onions. I roast the heck out of it, I like it almost burned.

I hadn't thought about doing a lot grilled for some reason even though I use my grill several times a week. What kind of spices?
This is what we have been using. It came with our grill. The main ingredients it lists are salt, spices (including paprika and turmeric), garlic and onion powder, natural smoke flavor, and extractives of paprika and annato. But it also contains a fake sugar and other additives which I am not crazy about. So I am going to come up with my own concoction that will be healthier. You can do a search on line for "rubs/dry seasoning mixes" to get some ideas. I would put red pepper flakes in it if "someone" was a little more tolerant of the heat. lol

https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Grill-BHA3015-B-Carolina-Seasoning/dp/B002CLU9GK/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1481623324&sr=1-1&keywords=Holland+Grill+Carolina+Seasoning

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
StephanieLynn|1481591446|4106741 said:
I do something similar, only I use light olive oil, sea salt and cinnamon. Will have to try your pumpkin pie spice!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Braised red cabbage with brown sugar and bacon
roasted brussels sprouts with maple syrup, balsamic, blue cheese, cranberries and pecans over bulgar wheat
alton brown's green bean casserole
zoodles and meatballs
spiralized sweet potatoes with spaghetti sauce
eggplant parm

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'll give a general idea how to make the green beans and persimmons. I don't measure when I cook, I just kind of know how to throw it together. It's the perfect time of year because persimmons are in season!

You need about 3 ripe Fuji persimmons.
1/2 lb of fresh green beans
1-2 bell peppers (depends on how much you like them and what color, it's up to you)
salt/pepper to taste
3 or 4 bacon strips and drippings.

What I usually do is make bacon for the kids for breakfast and then save the drippings and a few strips of bacon for dinner. I do the same thing when I make collards (it is essentially the same thing, fresh chopped collards, wilted in bacon drippings with salt/pepper to taste. Nice southern dish for you).

Heat the bacon grease (2-3 TBS).
Snap the beans and chop the bell peppers and persimmons in to pretty large chunks.
Chop the bacon in to bits
Once the bacon grease is hot you throw everything in and saute on medium until everything starts to soften and the persimmons release their sugars.

It's really easy.

If you are looking for some solid recipes, I have to admit, that the Disney cookbooks have great recipes. You can find most of them online. I know that sounds weird, but everything I have made from them turns out perfect. My family loves the coconut breaded chicken over arugala salad with tropical fruit. It has a lime dressing and is just wonderful. I have heard, though I haven't tried them, that the Barefoot Contessa recipes are good as well.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata, that bean salad sounds delicious. I will definitely try it. It sounds like a great way to add some variety. I never liked brussel sprouts as a kid (who did?!) but I have made them a few times. Not my favorite but they are growing on me. I will try adding some pancetta next time I make them. I have some in my fridge right now so it will be soon.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch, I have actually never tried acorn squash. That sounds really good, it is going on my list to try. Thank you.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1481639003|4106849 said:
Braised red cabbage with brown sugar and bacon
roasted brussels sprouts with maple syrup, balsamic, blue cheese, cranberries and pecans over bulgar wheat
alton brown's green bean casserole
zoodles and meatballs
spiralized sweet potatoes with spaghetti sauce
eggplant parm

Soxfan, I had no idea you could spirals sweet potatoes. I would have thought they would be too hard. Hmmm. I have a spiralizer that I have never used! I totally zones on eggplant parm! That would be a great meal on a cooll night! Yum.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beekeeper Betty, thank you for the recipe. I am that kind of cook as well. Interesting about the Disney cookbooks, I wouldn't have thought to look at those.

My absolute favorite cookbook author is Pam Anderson. I have given her books as gift a million times because every recipe is tested like crazy and in a couple books like "The Perfect Recipe" she tells you what she tried and why she didn't like it as much. Her books are well worth the price and if I am having people over chances are I am making one of her recipes. The Perfect Recipe and the Perfect Recipe for Having People Over, are my two fav's. I also like the Pioneer Woman's books and Clean Eating cookbooks.

I am looking forward to trying the persimmon green beans. I have not eaten persimmons before but I know quite a few friends with trees so I am going to have to hit them up for some.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say, the other day, I sliced up an organic red pepper and ate it raw. It was delicious. Sure, I eat red peppers here and there in salads or stir fry's, but I was really struck by how delicious and sweet this pepper was on its own. Dip it in a little ranch or Italian, and I think that's a beautiful treat in and of itself. Carrots too. That's my keep it simple advice.

I love steamed broccoli. Steam, then drain, and sauté garlic in olive oil, toss broccoli in, little salt. So good!

Roast cauliflower with turmeric.

Trader Joe's has a frozen veggie fried rice. Throw in some fresh veggies and good to go.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My family takes zucchini, tomatoes and large bell peppers and hollow them out, they add a mix of crushed garlic, basil, oregano, bread crumbs, egg and minced meat inside and then roast them in the oven.

Perfecto :lickout:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty in to burnt broccoli at the moment. My husband hates broccoli but he will eat this. Just chop broccoli into small florets and pan fry with a small amount of oil on a high heat with some salt and sunflower seeds. Keep them on the heat until bits go brown and crispy. Yum!

One of my favourite vegan dishes is an alternative to mince which I use in tacos etc. Chop up a carrot, onion, mushrooms, zucchini and a pepper into similar sized small chunks. Fry the carrot and onion in a pan till they start to soften then add the other vegetables. Once soft add a can of chilli beans and a can of chopped tomatoes and other seasonings- I add extra chilli powder and salt. Cook for a long time to evaporate out the liquid so it is thick and sort of holds together. Sounds weird but super yum!

P

PierreBear

Great job on eating healthier! One small thing we've been into recently is sauteing spinach with simple olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then eating it over a 1/2 of sweet potato that we bake in the oven.. It's a pretty delicious combination of sweet and savory. Enjoy making some of these new recipes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results