shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your story of an unbelievable, amazing, second hand jewelry find!!!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, not sure if there is a thread for this already, but I love stories about the amazing deals us jewelry lovers come across. Think Antiques Roadshow, but with only jewelry. I want stories about purchases, inherited pieces, found pieces, etc. Also, pictures if you have them!

Thanks!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll start for you!
99% of my jewellery is pre loved, that’s my preference.
Over the years I have made some excellent buys, many good buys and also a few mistakes.
I intend to start a thread for “mistakes I have made / regrets that I have”.
My preference is bargain buys, where I take a chance on the item being not as described or if poorly described that no one else will notice what I’ve noticed. eBay is my hunting ground but I also frequent auctions both in person (pre COVID) and on line bidding.
One of my favourite pieces is my Alexandrite bracelet. That was an eBay auction. The seller had described it correctly and with my 15 years plus on eBay, I know Alexandrite bracelets are few and far between.
it was a 9 day auction and the longest 9 days ever. Geez.
I “upped” my top bid 5 times during this period. I was almost beside myself in the closing seconds of the auction because you never know who else “out there” might want the item and swoop in with deeper pockets and nab the prize in those last seconds.
I prevailed, yay, but it was no bargain, quite a few thousands of dollars, but it is a rare piece. Alexandrites, even tiny ones, are expensive and uncommon.
And I’ll add in my Alexandrite pendant converted into to a ring. This story I’ve told before but I’ll repeat it again.
decades ago there was an old warehouse building that was converted into an Antique centre and housed about 30 seperate little antique stores. It was a great place to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon browsing along with having a coffee and cake from the Cafe.
I spotted a wee gold bracelet with a small purple gem set dangle charm. It was $60. I love purple and assumed it an amethyst. I bought it and put it on. Lovely.
Sometime later we left and as I stepped outside the building into the sunshine I looked down and to my utter astonishment the purple gem had turned green. What the ! ! ?
I turned and went back into the building and looked down to see it was now purple again.
Back then I didn’t know about colour change gems and actually thought it was some type of treated glass, like those crazy “mood rings”.
Later on with more knowledge I realised it was an Alexandrite. Due to the age and inclusions it’s probably Russian. Just under 1 carat .92 I recall, I set it into a preloved setting that I snagged on eBay. With size 7.5 fingers, everything needs a halo ha ha.
some photos of both..... EE99EFC2-05A1-4A17-812B-85CBAE920379.jpeg 8312B93B-BFC2-4CE6-BD6E-EC7D9F795B11.jpeg C3265591-1E6F-449F-85CD-3188E7F47A4D.jpeg 2B447F04-8027-4E9D-9D19-FB92C08D5A71.jpeg 89AE13CC-01C5-425A-8A6E-53126338BD8D.jpeg E9FC024A-5F1E-4AC1-9594-6C5932C6D007.jpeg F7FA64E3-8FEE-4637-8825-4A855DB046E0.jpeg 0C7E8F75-2505-45E9-8B19-6E12A2CA9103.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I’ll start for you!
Over the years I have made some excellent buys, many good buys and also a few mistakes.
My preference is bargain buys, where I take a chance on the item being not as described or if poorly described that no one else will notice what I’ve noticed. eBay is my hunting ground but I also frequent auctions both in person (pre COVID) and on line bidding.
One of my favourite pieces is my Alexandrite bracelet. That was an eBay auction. The seller had described it correctly and with my 15 years plus on eBay, I know Alexandrite bracelets are few and far between.
I “upped” my top bid 5 times during this period. I was almost beside myself in the closing seconds of the auction because you never know who else “out there” might want the item and swoop in with deeper pockets and nab the prize in those last seconds.
I prevailed, yay, but it was no bargain, quite a few thousands of dollars, but it is a rare piece. Alexandrites, even tiny ones, are expensive and uncommon.
And I’ll add in my Alexandrite pendant converted into to a ring. This story I’ve told before but I’ll repeat it again.
decades ago there was an old warehouse building that was converted into an Antique centre and housed about 30 seperate little antique stores. It was a great place to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon browsing along with having a coffee and cake from the Cafe.
I spotted a wee gold bracelet with a small purple gem set dangle charm. It was $60. I love purple and assumed it an amethyst. I bought it and put it on. Lovely.
Sometime later we left and as I stepped outside the building into the sunshine I looked down and to my utter astonishment the purple gem had turned green. What the ! ! ?
I turned and went back into the building and looked down to see it was now purple again.
Back then I didn’t know about colour change gems and actually thought it was some type of treated glass, like those crazy “mood rings”.
Later on with more knowledge I realised it was an Alexandrite. Due to the age and inclusions it’s probably Russian. Just under 1 carat .92 I recall, I set it into a preloved setting that I snagged on eBay. With size 7.5 fingers, everything needs a halo ha ha.
some photos of both..... EE99EFC2-05A1-4A17-812B-85CBAE920379.jpeg 8312B93B-BFC2-4CE6-BD6E-EC7D9F795B11.jpeg C3265591-1E6F-449F-85CD-3188E7F47A4D.jpeg 2B447F04-8027-4E9D-9D19-FB92C08D5A71.jpeg 89AE13CC-01C5-425A-8A6E-53126338BD8D.jpeg E9FC024A-5F1E-4AC1-9594-6C5932C6D007.jpeg F7FA64E3-8FEE-4637-8825-4A855DB046E0.jpeg 0C7E8F75-2505-45E9-8B19-6E12A2CA9103.jpeg

I am going to LOVE your mistake thread. I also buy pre-loved the most often and it's a fun experience (when I stop stressing and second guessing myself).

Those alexandrites though! The bracelet and ring are AMZING. I can see why you had fits waiting til the end of the auction. That is so extraordinary!

I love the ring story. Who knew! Thankful you didn't sell the ring before you found out about your odd color change rock.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I’ll start for you!

LOVE the stories, this is exactly what i wanted!! Your alexandrites are so beautiful, and i love the way you did your ring reset. That setting is perfect for it, it really highlights the color change. I once had an alexandrite (purchased on ebay WAAAYYY overpaid) but it had a huge white inclusion and didn't really color change that well. That could go on your "mistakes" page, haha. Please do start it, it would be the perfect complement to this one.

I will be adding my own story soon. I was going to last night, but i couldnt find photos on my phone. Keep them coming, please!! :)

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thinking about a mistakes thread. PS can be intimidating. There is such a wide swatch of collectors within PS.

hearing about things that went wrong may be just as instructive as the things that went right.
BUT, I do love a great story of a surprise find.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so finally I have pictures to share, and am ready to add a story.

A few years ago, I decided to get a Tiffany 5 stone platinum Diamond by the Yard necklace. I figured I would have to buy pre-owned, and get the smallest (.25 cts.) they make. So I started my search, keeping my phone right by my bed so checking ebay would b the 1st thing i did every day. One morning i saw a "new" one had popped up during the night. The pics were so blurry!!! I asked for better ones, and what i was sent was only slightly better, but i could see that the tag looked correct, as did the bezels. So i took a chance (only after asking her if i could return if i truly didnt like it, as i've been burned on one before; another great story for your "mistake" thread @Bron357! ) i paid $1100, and thought it was a good deal, as that is a little less than 1/2 of retail.
So finally the necklace comes, in a tangled mess, so i didnt even look at it until i got it straightened out. When i did i was astonished. The diamonds could not be .05 each. They looked way too big. I posted on another forum that authenticates pieces, and they also agreed that the diamonds looked too big. I left it alone for a while, since i dont live near a tiffanys.
About a year later, i took it to a local jeweler, who happened to work at tiffanys in the past as a buyer. He took one look and said "uh uh, you have the biggest one they make. .90 cts." I almost fell over. It retails for $7700!!! I had him appraise it and added it to my insurance right quick. It is my absolute favorite, and i never thought id ever own one so big, so its extra precious to me!!
Screenshot_20201115-095651_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201115-095125_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Ok so finally I have pictures to share, and am ready to add a story.

A few years ago, I decided to get a Tiffany 5 stone platinum Diamond by the Yard necklace. I figured I would have to buy pre-owned, and get the smallest (.25 cts.) they make. So I started my search, keeping my phone right by my bed so checking ebay would b the 1st thing i did every day. One morning i saw a "new" one had popped up during the night. The pics were so blurry!!! I asked for better ones, and what i was sent was only slightly better, but i could see that the tag looked correct, as did the bezels. So i took a chance (only after asking her if i could return if i truly didnt like it, as i've been burned on one before; another great story for your "mistake" thread @Bron357! ) i paid $1100, and thought it was a good deal, as that is a little less than 1/2 of retail.
So finally the necklace comes, in a tangled mess, so i didnt even look at it until i got it straightened out. When i did i was astonished. The diamonds could not be .05 each. They looked way too big. I posted on another forum that authenticates pieces, and they also agreed that the diamonds looked too big. I left it alone for a while, since i dont live near a tiffanys.
About a year later, i took it to a local jeweler, who happened to work at tiffanys in the past as a buyer. He took one look and said "uh uh, you have the biggest one they make. .90 cts." I almost fell over. It retails for $7700!!! I had him appraise it and added it to my insurance right quick. It is my absolute favorite, and i never thought id ever own one so big, so its extra precious to me!!
Screenshot_20201115-095651_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201115-095125_Chrome.jpg

Wow, what a wonderful story!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh great thread idea!

By far probably my best find was a 1.23 carat OEC for $600. I went walking into my favorite pawn shop at the time and the owner put it on my finger, she was gorgeous but pretty badly chipped. I actually posted to PS while I was at the pawn shop to get advice! I asked the price and she tells me $800, finally she comes down to $600. Brought the ring to my jeweler to switch it from a four prong to six prong setting, if I remember right the diameter was like 6.9mm gorgeous diamond, apart from the chips it was crystal clear, this ring now lives with another awesome PS’er
7F224B56-FB21-456C-8F40-2A1D3475AC71.jpeg

I also went to an indoor flea market once and was buying a bunch of stuff, spotted these two watch chains and I asked how much? The guy says they could be real gold but he doesn’t really know so he tells me to just take them. I get to the car and sure enough they are both stamped for gold! Yup free gold, can’t beat that!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meesmom, that is an awesome find, wow, they clearly didn’t know how big those diamonds were.

@Bron357, I love so many of your finds but the alexandrite dangle is one of my favorites :kiss2:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 wait those are the same stones each time- the bracelet rings etc? The reddish purple & the green?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great stories. I’ll share a quickie though it wasn’t actually purchased. .
On our way home from a fall day drive we stopped at an outlet shopping center. We park far far away because hubby is very particular about his cars (his hobby). Anyway on the ground he finds a necklace (he always finds jewelry). I take it and drop it in my purse to be forgotten about for a week.
When I take it out to look at it, I see it’s marked 18kt and realize it’s not cz and sterling but is a diamond cluster snowflake/flower 18k WG pendant and necklace. Loupe it, and sure enough, they’re real! Take it to local jeweler to take a look and yep, it’s real and about $1k new. I love that piece now!

ETA I wore that necklace for weeks and then notice a stone has fallen out somewhere along the way. Sadly tell hubby, who runs upstairs and comes back with the stone! He saw a sparkly on the floor (of course, he left it there ? ) and realized it was the diamond. :lol: like I said, he always finds these things!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh great thread idea!

By far probably my best find was a 1.23 carat OEC for $600. I went walking into my favorite pawn shop at the time and the owner put it on my finger, she was gorgeous but pretty badly chipped. I actually posted to PS while I was at the pawn shop to get advice! I asked the price and she tells me $800, finally she comes down to $600. Brought the ring to my jeweler to switch it from a four prong to six prong setting, if I remember right the diameter was like 6.9mm gorgeous diamond, apart from the chips it was crystal clear, this ring now lives with another awesome PS’er

I also went to an indoor flea market once and was buying a bunch of stuff, spotted these two watch chains and I asked how much? The guy says they could be real gold but he doesn’t really know so he tells me to just take them. I get to the car and sure enough they are both stamped for gold! Yup free gold, can’t beat that!

These stories are both amazing.... a $600 diamond that looks like that?? Its gorgeous!!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Great stories. I’ll share a quickie though it wasn’t actually purchased. .
On our way home from a fall day drive we stopped at an outlet shopping center. We park far far away because hubby is very particular about his cars (his hobby). Anyway on the ground he finds a necklace (he always finds jewelry). I take it and drop it in my purse to be forgotten about for a week.
When I take it out to look at it, I see it’s marked 18kt and realize it’s not cz and sterling but is a diamond cluster snowflake/flower 18k WG pendant and necklace. Loupe it, and sure enough, they’re real! Take it to local jeweler to take a look and yep, it’s real and about $1k new. I love that piece now!

ETA I wore that necklace for weeks and then notice a stone has fallen out somewhere along the way. Sadly tell hubby, who runs upstairs and comes back with the stone! He saw a sparkly on the floor (of course, he left it there ? ) and realized it was the diamond. :lol: like I said, he always finds these things!

Found, inherited, gifted or purchased.... all stories wanted!! :) Thank you for sharing! Do you happen to have a photo?
I'd love to see it, it sounds lovely.

This reminds me of the time my mom found a malachite and 18k bead necklace in a parking lot. She found it in the mid 80s, and still wears it occasionally!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh great thread idea!

Oh my word....this was AMAZING! What a lovely diamond.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found, inherited, gifted or purchased.... all stories wanted!! :) Thank you for sharing! Do you happen to have a photo?
I'd love to see it, it sounds lovely.

This reminds me of the time my mom found a malachite and 18k bead necklace in a parking lot. She found it in the mid 80s, and still wears it occasionally!

I do have one. Not the best and we’re in a tornado warning here!!! Love finding treasures!!
C626ABE8-CB29-45FD-86E1-D236C4817850.jpeg

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I do have one. Not the best and we’re in a tornado warning here!!! Love finding treasures!!

Oh dear, stay safe!! In nj we are having crazy weather too, with tornado warnings.
I love your necklace, so pretty!!!

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
All my pieces are secondhand, and since I'm so frugal, I've missed a ton of opportunities simply by virtue of being too afraid to get off the dime. I found Edwina in a pawn shop, and took a chance: GIA graded her as 1.01 L VS2, and I'd paid $400. Beginner's luck, I think.

IMG_3905.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

A pretty necklace. Holy smokes - DC to Hartford is a hot mess of storms. Stay safe

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meesmom , have you been to our
"Who wants to see my haul" thread? In our Antique Jewelry forum.
It's full of stuff like this!
But here are my Hall of Fame items:

Mikimoto single earring found in a thrift store for $1.00
I converted it into a pendant.
IMG_20200526_201623.jpg

This is a 14k antique watch chain/necklace conversion.
Weighs 23 grams.
Yard sale $2.00
_37576.jpg

I bought these 2 loose Muzo emeralds from my Columbian hairdresser for $250. I had them set into a ring and pendant.
img_20160917_213657835_hdr.jpg

Vintage 4.5 ct. sapphire ring from a pawn shop $69.00
_36277.jpg

Baroque Tahitians online, I think the price was a mistake at $219
IMG_20171130_094529167.jpg

Old European .75 set in man's ring, a gift from a friend
IMG_20180406_073328499.jpg

Vintage white star sapphire and diamond, 18k, Ebay $29.00
The seller thought it was costume.
IMG_20180707_145840.jpg

14k Blue topaz and peridot fish pin, thrift store $2.00
IMG_20190813_205930620.jpg

10k herringbone, yard sale $2.00
IMG_20190504_204409868.jpg 14k Ruby and diamond bee pin, pawn shop, $70.00
IMG_20190816_190347753.jpg

14k cameo, thrift store, 50 cents
IMG_20200117_151500009.jpg

Navajo sterling bench bead necklace $1.00, yard sale.
It was broken, and I restrung it.
IMG_20200802_221414.jpg

18K curb chain, weighs 15.3g, Thrift store. It was in a small bag of costume jewelry which I paid $6 for.
IMG_20200821_155745870.jpg

Last edited:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I need to know where you all shop, lol!!! I go to thrift stores and antique shops all the time, and i always peruse the jewelry, its nothing but paste and pot metal when i go... :x2
@PreRaphaelite that diamond is amazing. And me too, i am always talking myself out of spending, even when its a great deal.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh great thread idea!

:kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

IMG_20200526_201623.jpg

Weighs 13 grams.
Yard sale $2.00
_37576.jpg

I bought these 2 loose Muzo emeralds from my Columbian hairdresser for $250. I had them set into a ring and pendant.

_36277.jpg

IMG_20180707_145840.jpg

IMG_20200802_221414.jpg

18K curb chain, weighs 15.3g, Thrift store. It was in a small bag of costume jewelry which I paid $6 for.

You, Madame, are a human geiger counter. Holy smokes. I have seen and enjoyed your wonderful hauls, but may I congratulate your luck, good eye and talent!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You, Madame, are a human geiger counter. Holy smokes. I have seen and enjoyed your wonderful hauls, but may I congratulate your luck, good eye and talent!

Thanks @moneymeister! I get a charge out of finding cool stuff.
Yard sales are the best, but this year they just weren't happening.....

GeliL

Shiny_Rock

IMG_20200526_201623.jpg

Weighs 23 grams.
Yard sale $2.00
_37576.jpg

_36277.jpg

IMG_20180707_145840.jpg

IMG_20200802_221414.jpg

How??? I have no words.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results