shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, here is a duck I shot with my camera last summer, early in the morning. Lot of moss in the water so it actually was a yellowish green in the early light.

Ducks and Geese Kathryn Abertson Park-13.jpg

Wink

Lovely photo, Wink!
What kind of duck is that?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know for sure it is an "I am visiting Boise, Idaho in the summer of 2017" duck. I am a little less sure, but it may be a widgeon.

It was an interesting morning and I enjoyed getting up before the crack of dawn to go to the park and walk in to where I thought there would be some interesting birds...

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The infamous 'Boise Tourist Duck'. Lovely. =)2

I noted the blue bill, which is on widgeons that visit this area, but the markings are different from the widgeons I've seen here.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually, the Goldeneye Ducks are a fair distance from the shoreline.
However, a couple of weeks ago, I spotted some closer to the shore upstream from where I normally stand. I was able to get closer to them and took the following shots:

- a couple of male Goldeneye Ducks and
- a female Goldeneye Duck running across the river before taking flight; always fascinating how they seem to run on the water before liftoff

0I5A8035.JPG

0I5A8164.JPG

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20171206_125355.jpg
...serene Cozumel

Attachments

• 20171206_125403.jpg
    20171206_125403.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 21

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arkteia , beautiful waterfall! Obviously, from the volume and force of the water, it would have been quite loud.

@ZestfullyBling , wonderful - and so different from each other -- one scary and one serene! :lol-2:
Love that handsome dog in your new avatar! Seems to me you had a (yellow?) flower before (although I cold be mistaken).

Thank you both for sharing your lovely photos!

@canuk-gal , Too funny! Thanks for the link, Sharon! :lol-2:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay, I had a great day today. Resa and I went out to the Fort Boise Wildlife preserve and saw thousands of Snow Geese, a few Speckled Bellies, and some mallards. Heavy overcast and I had some focusing issues as well, so I have nine photos worth sharing and I think I will share seven or eight of those here...

They are not the quality that I like, but seeing so many birds is such a joy that I will share them with you anyway.

We got there a few minutes before 11 AM and heard a few in a pond and saw a few ducks. I got the camera set up and Resa asked, "Do you see that smudge in the sky?" I did not.

"It is moving, I wonder if they are geese?"

About three minutes later I could finally see them, wave after wave of geese. Normally I would refer to them as flocks, but Resa called them a swarm, and I think today that was a a better name.

Far-oout-flocks.jpg

As they flew overhead you can clearly see that they are snows.

Snow-geese-large-flocks.jpg

First they circled around a time or two

Coming-further-down.jpg

Then they started landing about six to seven hundred yards away.

Landing.jpg Landing2.jpg

There were a couple of Canadian geese that were having a mid air flight. The goose behind kept goosing the goose in front.

Goose-fight.jpg

This hawk was a little too far out to grab a really good picture, but he was gorgeous.

Beautiful-hawk.jpg

The wether was not at all good for photography, very flat light and everything was too far away for my 300 mm lens. One gentleman had been at the hide just before I got there and he had a 400 lens with a 1.5 multiplier. Probably about 5k worth of lens.

Great day was had and I am glad Resa was with me. Last photo is a kind of hokey marker where the old Fort Boise is thought to have been located.

Fort-Boise.jpg

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, apparently bazillions of ducks on a cloudy day are not a good conversation starter...

How about my first crocus of the Spring?

Crocus.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, apparently bazillions of ducks on a cloudy day are not a good conversation starter...

How about my first crocus of the Spring?

Crocus.jpg

@Wink , I love your photos!
It must have been wonderful to see so many Snow Geese - such beautiful birds!
The misbehaving Canada Geese and hawk are also great sights!
Wildlife photography is a field of its own, with models who don't follow instructions, pose or even stand where we'd like. And then there's the uncontrollable weather. Thank goodness getting the shot is only part of the joy - just getting out with nature is a reward in itself.

The crocus is a welcome sight! A seemingly delicate flower, yet the first to brave the chill of Winter's last days.

I must apologize for not commenting earlier when I first saw the photos from the great day you had out with your lovely wife - the two of you make a wonderful pair, with her ability to spot wildlife and your photographic skills. The delay in me commenting is the fault of my broken wrist and the resulting torture device into which the hospital gleefully encased my right arm. The first week was interesting, as I enjoyed the challenge of devising work-arounds. (I was quite proud of my ability to make a sandwich with one hand - my left (I'm a righty), although it does take 20 minutes.) My attitude, initially, was that this is no big deal - just 6 wks of an inconvenience, not as if I'd chopped off my right arm. However, my strengths - and therefore my weaknesses - are my deeply-engrained personality traits of independence and determination. I also have a strong need for freedom and being outdoors. The orthopedic surgeon sentenced me to life without driving or using my camera without a tripod until the cast comes off. Some nonsense about the bone having to calcify and a risk of things getting out of position.

So I've developed a severe case of Cabin Fever and turned into a grumpy, Grizzly Bear. I've been no further than my backyard in four days! The man in my life is on his way over thank goodness - although he seems to find this somewhat amusing - so I'll finally be able to get outside for a while. I was going to go for a walk this morning, but realized I can't do up the zipper on my winter coat.

Bet you"re wishing you hadn't said anything! Now you've been subjected to my growling about nothing! :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our friends sent us these pics last week. They live about 30 minutes from the city. What a difference a few miles make.

C0A39F1C-CCC7-4B28-95B7-9C1087651EE5.jpeg

3B9B0F36-23AC-49E7-8980-2D583CC0E2F4.jpeg

B36BFB26-945F-48D5-93F8-7CD25DF0DDDE.jpeg

And just over the sea in an interesting place called Brooklyn I present our “wildlife” and vastly different weather at least till tonight. A tree shadow over a beautiful mural. Well, a tree *does* grow in Brooklyn. :bigsmile:
39B29D6A-4D94-46A9-ADB6-2C3EEE372CC1.jpeg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, @missy !

I know we're all eager for Spring to arrive, but snow can be so beautiful.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to have to send you guys some duck pics to get some identification. I always see these little fellas around the neighborhood but have no idea what they are (well, ok they're not entirely little!!)

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just a sunflower:

standard.jpg

And the bee helps made the great seeds:

standard.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rodentman , beautiful photos!

I love the energetic, upbeat feeling resulting from the subject matter and the colours - particularly in the first photo with the strong yellow, green and blue! Wonderful!

As lovely as Winter is, I'm ready for the snow to melt.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

:wavey:

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks! We get avg 55" of snow here. It piles up and keeps the temps low so spring is delayed.

standard.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rodentman :eek2: !

I guess I'm not the only one looking forward to Spring!
Do you mind sharing your Country or general area?

I'm in Canada and am fortunate to have four Seasons - which I guess is the same for you.
Each Season brings its own beauty, and I know I'd miss that if I lived in an area of year-round Summer weather. Although, I might be tempted to test that assumption. :lol-2:

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I grew up (allegedly) in NJ, moved to AZ in 1972 and to MN in 1979. It's not so bad here. We have a lot of water and lakes of course, but -25F is rather chilly.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink , I love your photos!
It must have been wonderful to see so many Snow Geese - such beautiful birds!
The misbehaving Canada Geese and hawk are also great sights!
Wildlife photography is a field of its own, with models who don't follow instructions, pose or even stand where we'd like. And then there's the uncontrollable weather. Thank goodness getting the shot is only part of the joy - just getting out with nature is a reward in itself.

The crocus is a welcome sight! A seemingly delicate flower, yet the first to brave the chill of Winter's last days.

I must apologize for not commenting earlier when I first saw the photos from the great day you had out with your lovely wife - the two of you make a wonderful pair, with her ability to spot wildlife and your photographic skills. The delay in me commenting is the fault of my broken wrist and the resulting torture device into which the hospital gleefully encased my right arm. The first week was interesting, as I enjoyed the challenge of devising work-arounds. (I was quite proud of my ability to make a sandwich with one hand - my left (I'm a righty), although it does take 20 minutes.) My attitude, initially, was that this is no big deal - just 6 wks of an inconvenience, not as if I'd chopped off my right arm. However, my strengths - and therefore my weaknesses - are my deeply-engrained personality traits of independence and determination. I also have a strong need for freedom and being outdoors. The orthopedic surgeon sentenced me to life without driving or using my camera without a tripod until the cast comes off. Some nonsense about the bone having to calcify and a risk of things getting out of position.

So I've developed a severe case of Cabin Fever and turned into a grumpy, Grizzly Bear. I've been no further than my backyard in four days! The man in my life is on his way over thank goodness - although he seems to find this somewhat amusing - so I'll finally be able to get outside for a while. I was going to go for a walk this morning, but realized I can't do up the zipper on my winter coat.

Bet you"re wishing you hadn't said anything! Now you've been subjected to my growling about nothing! :lol-2:

Yikes,

I had no idea what you were going through. Hope you get better soon!

Wink

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up (allegedly) in NJ, moved to AZ in 1972 and to MN in 1979. It's not so bad here. We have a lot of water and lakes of course, but -25F is rather chilly.

I bet you've seen, and continue to enjoy, the beauty of the various places you've been.
Landscapes vary so much around the World, but each is incredibly breathtaking.

I love being around water; it can be so calming and attracts a variety of wildlife.

We're into our third day of non-stop snow, so the trees have a gorgeous layer of fresh snow on the branches. So beautiful.
The roads - well, not so appealing. :lol-2:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes,

I had no idea what you were going through. Hope you get better soon!

Wink

Thanks, @Wink !
Its a temporary, minor inconvenience blown out of proportion by my venting.
After letting off steam with my 'poor me' rant, I'm once again a relatively reasonable person to be around. :mrgreen2:

It happened when I slipped on ice walking back to my car after being out with my camera. Thankfully, my left hand, which held my camera lens, shot up in the air, and my camera and lens never touched the ground.

This silly business of falling with my camera has to come to an end.
I need to start 'focusing' on keeping my balance. Pardon the photography pun.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one from the water; this time we had a seal come right up to the boat and goof around for a good 10 minutes. Unfortunately I didn't get better shots of him!
Screenshot_20180314-171631.png

That must have been great having the seal come to join the party!
You getting out on the water is wonderful for two reasons; mainly, because I know you love being on the water, but also because it means we get to see such great shots of the ocean and its inhabitants - something many of us don't get to see. Thank you!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, @Wink !
Its a temporary, minor inconvenience blown out of proportion by my venting.
After letting off steam with my 'poor me' rant, I'm once again a relatively reasonable person to be around. :mrgreen2:

It happened when I slipped on ice walking back to my car after being out with my camera. Thankfully, my left hand, which held my camera lens, shot up in the air, and my camera and lens never touched the ground.

This silly business of falling with my camera has to come to an end.
I need to start 'focusing' on keeping my balance. Pardon the photography pun.

A couple of years ago, one of my hunting buddies started using a ski pole when wading the ponds to get to the blinds. It looked like such a great way to avoid losing your balance when walking across an uneven surface that was under water that I soon followed suit. I find it incredibly useful in what were formerly awkward situations.

When I was having trouble with my hip and awaiting replacement, I started using a cane in everyday life. Even though I no longer need a cane to help me walk, when it snows or is icy, I just use it for the third leg of my balance structure.

I guarantee that if you try it, you might like it. If not, just don't do it again. ;-)

Wink

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of years ago, one of my hunting buddies started using a ski pole when wading the ponds to get to the blinds. It looked like such a great way to avoid losing your balance when walking across an uneven surface that was under water that I soon followed suit. I find it incredibly useful in what were formerly awkward situations.

When I was having trouble with my hip and awaiting replacement, I started using a cane in everyday life. Even though I no longer need a cane to help me walk, when it snows or is icy, I just use it for the third leg of my balance structure.

I guarantee that if you try it, you might like it. If not, just don't do it again. ;-)

Great idea, Wink! Thanks!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That must have been great having the seal come to join the party!
You getting out on the water is wonderful for two reasons; mainly, because I know you love being on the water, but also because it means we get to see such great shots of the ocean and its inhabitants - something many of us don't get to see. Thank you!

Thanks DF!! I haven't been going out lately as much as I should so trying to get some time in with the boat over the next few months, it had a new motor put on last year and is a dream to use now.

I'm going to try and start doing underwater filming soon, hopefully I can get some cool stills to share here!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black tipped reef shark while snorkeling in Bora Bora about 5 to 6 feet in length. Ray also on the ocean bolttom.

FB_IMG_1521214194698.jpg

Giant clam, wouldn't mind having a paraiba tourmaline in these colors.

FB_IMG_1521214162457.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results