shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your best cut diamond

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since old cuts aren’t strictly about the numbers like ideals and super ideals, best cut will be what is most pleasing to your eye.

Of course threads like this are nothing without pictures, so please share a picture of what you consider to be your best cut and what you like so much about it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an assortment of old cuts.
I guess to answer your question, I would choose one without wonky facets.
This one below, set in a man's ring, is a pretty good cut, and in good shape too.

One jeweler called it a transitional, and another jeweler who did the appraisal called it an OEC. It was graded G, VVS2, .75 ct.
IMG_20230205_083718683.jpg

My cell phone camera is really bad, so I struggled to get this shot of the faceting.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a nice diamond @stracci2000 and pretty amazing cut and clarity for an old cut.

I was wondering if this thread was going to go anywhere, might just be you and me!

I’d say my avatar ring is the best cut, this one was take under our Japanese maple tree

2637F0A1-1EB7-4343-AAF6-72D8DE07CAF9.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a nice diamond @stracci2000 and pretty amazing cut and clarity for an old cut.

I was wondering if this thread was going to go anywhere, might just be you and me!

I’d say my avatar ring is the best cut, this one was take under our Japanese maple tree

That ring is so special! You really have a talent for finding great diamonds!
I don't know how you take such great shots of your stones!
I run all over the house, looking for different light sources, but I just can't seem to get a good image!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is so special! You really have a talent for finding great diamonds!
I don't know how you take such great shots of your stones!
I run all over the house, looking for different light sources, but I just can't seem to get a good image!
I know! You missed your calling @YadaYadaYada!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
1638203550745.jpg

This is rounder. It is nice as well.

I love this one special. The cut and color just speak to me. The mounting. Just :love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thanks @stracci2000, I have an IPhone 11 Pro so it seems to have a good camera, that probably helps. Now if only I had a knack for making money like finding diamonds, I’d be all set lol!

@MamaBee, actually my calling came in handy when I had an Etsy shop. There was one time I found a bag of leather animals for $20 in an antique shop. Well my husband didn’t say anything because he knew they had to be something. Sure enough they were worth good money, all the things in that shop and that’s what I was drawn to!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it @PreRaphaelite, what a great find this was for you. Are you going to make her a ring or something else? Or perhaps keep her as a pendant of some sort?

@elizat, they are beautiful, honestly you have so many gorgeous pieces, I would have a hard time picking one.

@Mreader, I love that picture! My goodness and the diamond is so white. Not only a gorgeous diamond but also a CVB setting if I remember correctly. Doesn’t get much better than that.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

That stone is sooo pretty. I always find myself admiring your avatar!

I think my best 2 are my OMCs, Cordelia and Gisele.
FE5A62B7-01B8-4DC9-A129-1890311758F6.jpeg
8E3B5518-F264-408E-BCD5-6E05322370F3.jpeg
5A1A1141-7D0B-4792-816B-DB280DBAA801.jpeg
D0E725BA-F935-4B43-8E74-441EB489A9BC.jpeg

I think objectively speaking, Cordelia (in the 3 stone ring) is probably a tad better cut and more people would prefer it. But I just love Gisele’s chunky crown and alllll the kozibe (plus she has SB fluor!). I love them both! They are both fiery as hell and I’m pretty sure I have caused some damage to my eyes while playing with each of them in direct sunlight lol

Last edited:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a shallow transitional cut gal at heart. Depth and table 54-58%, very good symmetry, tiny culet gets this incredible twinkly shimmer in the center that is ::chef's kiss::.

My original engagement ring stone (1.3ct GIA I/VS2) now paired with two uncerted Kish 0.55ct little sibs.

PXL_20221224_204313275.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@oldcutclubmember, well I’ve already gushes over Cordelia, I don’t want her to get too big of an ego ;-) Yeah, Gisele’s kozibe is something I would risk some retinal damage to admire for sure.

@evergreen, love the faceting on display here, this is literally the perfect three stone. Who did the setting? I admit to zooming in to peep that milgrain.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Toss up between these two. The smaller one (center of the 3 stone) is .63 ct but I just love facet pattern.

67D094A0-48C7-4042-BBC3-913664E2540A.jpeg

BB5B6F16-B5DD-43A3-8E48-7E0EFF7152CE.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@lulu_ma, I would have a hard time picking a favorite, they are both fabulous but let’s be honest, Marilyn is really on her own level.

Ikwym, but something about that .63 ct spoke to me so I had to have her. The truth is that I am an old cut addict now :geek2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
it's hard to choose so probably one of these
IMG_5796 (1).JPG IMG_5788.JPG
IMG_5783a.JPG

Oh man I can see why it's hard to choose. Good Lord. And when is that collection thread coming @Lookinagain ???!!!! I don't even remember the ring in the second photo. That setting is so lovely and the milgrain - chef's kiss.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man I can see why it's hard to choose. Good Lord. And when is that collection thread coming @Lookinagain ???!!!! I don't even remember the ring in the second photo. That setting is so lovely and the milgrain - chef's kiss.

I've never put together collection photos. It would take some time.... And photos seem better when taken outside. Maybe when the weather warms up I'll clean everything and take some photos. A few years ago I did pull out all my DK rings and took a family shot.
That second ring is one of my favorites. Still trying to figure out how to set the one in the first photo. It's been in that temp setting since I bought it about about 8 years ago. I think it's about time I figure out what to do with it.....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lookinagain, wow, these are all gorgeous, I love the setting on the second one especially

@lala646, I love everything about this, the bezel the shape of the setting and of course that gorgeous diamond. Do you know the stats on it? Just curious, it looks to be a nice size.

@MMtwo, I love this, I believe this is your original engagement ring? I remember seeing this beauty in a thread somewhere and doing a search to find out all about it.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@Lookinagain, wow, these are all gorgeous, I love the setting on the second one especially

@lala646, I love everything about this, the bezel the shape of the setting and of course that gorgeous diamond. Do you know the stats on it? Just curious, it looks to be a nice size.

@MMtwo, I love this, I believe this is your original engagement ring? I remember seeing this beauty in a thread somewhere and doing a search to find out all about it.

I actually bought it recently from another PS member. The setting is lovely, but, and I hate to admit this, I'm planning on removing it from the setting. The ring is a size 5, and just too small for me to ever wear, and given the shape of the setting, not easy to size up. The stone is 6mm, around I/J, and very clean. I plan to take it to GIA before I do anything with it.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

That is so sweet, it has been a while. Yes, this is my "real" e-ring. Found it years ago in Wink's inventory. I was mad for old cuts and fat flashes - still am! I tried to take an up-to-date picture but the light and i-phone are in cahoots against me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lala646, well you have to make it work for you, can’t wait to see the final outcome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results