shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share veggie recipes!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a refrigerator full of zucchini and am loving it!

Quinoa stuffed zucchini:
Brown an onion in a bit of olive oil. Add garlic cloves (however many you like) and cook over low heat until caramelized. Turn heat to medium. Toss in quinoa (I did 1 cup of a tricolor blend) and stir while it toasts. Add enough veggie stock to cook quinoa. Add some combination of chopped parsley, dill, spinach, lemon/lime zest, and scallions.
Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop seed part out. (I stir into my quinoa). Fill with quinoa. Drizzle with fresh lemon or lime juice. (One large zucchini with 1 cup quinoa was dinner and lunch for two of us)

Burrito stuffed zucchini:
Brown a sliced onion. Toss in a can of no salt black beans. Stir until a bit dry. Add some homemade salsa (or store bought but watch the sodium!), cilantro, fresh tomatoes. Fill the zucchini. Bake until cooked.

Picture is of the quinoa stuffed but I did a sauce to go over it when done. Fresh tomatoes cut up and cooked with just a bit of lemon juice. IMG_20180809_193931.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zucchini Flatbread Sandwiches- Makes 4

Ingredients:
Fit and Active brand flatbread (4)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded zucchini
16 cherry tomatoes sliced thin
1 green onion sliced
8 tablespoons light sour cream
2 teaspoons malt vinegar
Salt
Black pepper
Cooking Spray or Olive Oil to Coat non-stick frying pan

Directions:

Toss zucchini with malt vinegar and one teaspoon salt. Lightly fry in non-stick frying pan approximately 4 to 5 minutes and set aside.

Lay out flatbread.
Layer tomatoes and green onions on middle of flat bread.
Layer zucchini and cheddar cheese over tomatoes and onion.
Top with sour cream.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Fold both flatbread over ingredients and enjoy.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cooked fresh beets in our new smoker a couple of nights ago. OMGosh!!!

I used a disposable pan for ease of cleaning. Tossed the beets in whole with a small drizzle of olive oil on top. Stuck in the smoker and let them go at 325 until a toothpick went in easily. Let sit until cool enough to touch (with gloves!) and peel. Cut them up and squeezed a couple of limes over them with just a drizzle (maybe 2 Tbsp) of local honey.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smoked carrots...

Peel and trim ends off carrots. Set on foil or in disposable pan. Add a few slivers of vegan buttery stick. Sprinkle with ancho powder. Stick in smoker at 325 until tender.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Veggie sauce (pasta sauce but not bad on a cauliflower pizza crust!)

Makes a big pot. (Freeze or reduce quantity as needed)

Brown 3 diced onions in olive oil. Add a head of peeled garlic (slow caramelize first if wanting to save some time). Reduce to low and cook until garlic is caramelized. Add one eggplant (1 inch cubes) and two medium sized zucchinis (1 inch cubes). Stir over med-high heat until slightly colored. Add a can of diced tomatoes in juice (I used a five pound can), half a cup of sliced sun dried tomatoes, fresh/dried oregano, a sprinkle of dried basil (or fresh), and balsamic vinegar (and/or red wine) to taste. Simmer over low-medium heat until delicious.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got our first Imperfect Produce box last week. Love it! Swapped to every week since it was so good.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love beets and make borscht (soup/stew) using this recipe:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/borscht/

I modify the recipe by shredding the beets in food processor, finely chopping the carrots and putting both veggies in the pot with enough time to get soft rather than roasting. I also add bay leaf and marjoram, and use 2 tablespoons dry dill weed instead of 1/2 cup fresh. If you want vegetarian, it would probably still taste good if you skip the beef and substitute vegetable broth instead of beef broth.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smoked cauliflower

Quarter several onions. Separate layers.
Toss in a disposable pan with 6 peeled garlic cloves and a quartered cauliflower. Drop about 4 Tbsp of vegan buttery stick (thin slices) over the veggies. Sprinkle a pinch of salt, if desired.

Stick in a smoker at 300 until everything is all caramelized and cauliflower is toasted. Stir every so often to keep butter coating the veggies.

jamesallenrings

Rough_Rock
This chickpea and root veggie recipe is delicious! I use a turnip instead of a potato and don't add the raisins (just a personal preference).

IMG_1988.JPG IMG_1987.JPG

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This chickpea and root veggie recipe is delicious! I use a turnip instead of a potato and don't add the raisins (just a personal preference).

IMG_1988.JPG IMG_1987.JPG

That looks amazing! I have most of the veggies for that coming in my veggie box delivery tomorrow. Will definitely have to try this!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been smoking so many veggies recently! Last night was corn on the cob, cauliflower with onions, and fennel. The night before was a pan of artichokes and a pan of cauliflower with onions.

The artichokes were great! Trim ends off of stalk and set artichokes in disposable pan. Drizzle lime juice in leafy part. Add some white wine and lime juice in pan around them. Sprinkle with salt and garlic granules. Place in smoker at 250 until done. (Still working on finding best length to cook...) IMG_20180924_200355.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180912_191939.jpg Smoked brussel sprouts. Delicious!!!

Toss brussel sprouts in a disposable pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt (just a touch) and garlic granules. Shake a bit to coat. Cook in smoker at 250 until tender.

IMG_20180921_200105.jpg View attachment 650569

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@facetgirl
Here is the veggie recipe thread. Lots of other great recipe threads around. Search the word recipe for a bunch! Cakes, sweets, soups, and so much more.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love beets and make borscht (soup/stew) using this recipe:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/borscht/

I modify the recipe by shredding the beets in food processor, finely chopping the carrots and putting both veggies in the pot with enough time to get soft rather than roasting. I also add bay leaf and marjoram, and use 2 tablespoons dry dill weed instead of 1/2 cup fresh. If you want vegetarian, it would probably still taste good if you skip the beef and substitute vegetable broth instead of beef broth.

I love Borscht. Make it all the time in Winter. (in my head recipe from my Mother)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@TooPatient--can you smoke some fennel and tell me how it turns out? I have no smoker, but fennel is delicious and another veggie for the repertoire.

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@TooPatient--can you smoke some fennel and tell me how it turns out? I have no smoker, but fennel is delicious and another veggie for the repertoire.

cheers--Sharon

It turned out great! Sliced it up and smoked at 350 for about 20 minutes.

IMG_20181012_201159.jpg

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient, I great ideas. Need to find out how to get a smoker over here. Any recs how to find a decent one?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This might sound odd:

Ajo blanco (white garlic) - a Spanish summer soup & pasta version

one portion = three slices of white bread (preferably a day or two old), 5 spoons nice olive oil, one garlic clove, a handful of fresh almonds, a few white grapes; everything but the read gets blended coarsely, then breadadded & water until the texture resembles a thin sauce. Served chilled or room temperature. Best after half an hour of mixing.

I tend to do a sweet salad on the side, e.g. roast peppers, grilled eggplant & honey...

The almonds seem to LOVE garlic (who knew!). I have also made a pasta dish along these lines, with garlic - almonds - fenil (florets - if I did not have them I'd use seeds) - olive oil as a sauce, hard cheese (local 'cheso curado') shavings and honneyed eggplant over fettucinne. White pepper optional.

-

RE. beets ...

Borscht, of course!

I like the simplest: lots of beets cut in strips (stack of rondelles sliced through), small onions whole or halves of larger, plenty of bayleaves and crushed black pepper, root parsley/parsnip works, carrots would fit in if I did not hate them. Water to cover. If at least beet leaves are young enough & would add them shredded by hand. I'd eat this with cream and polenta on the side. There are thousands of variants of this soup... involving %/potatoes, beans, meat, eggs... Rarely, I would use potatoes (boiled separately & added in - unless you know how to time them with the beet, I don't); the rest I cannot vouch for.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient, I great ideas. Need to find out how to get a smoker over here. Any recs how to find a decent one?

I looked on Amazon and found one with great reviews. I wanted it under $500 because the damp and everything here has made our BBQs not last long. I ended up ordering a DynaGlo and being surorisur by the quality. I'm actually ordering another for my grandparents so I can see it to cool Thanksgiving dinner this year.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-43-in-Wide-Body-LP-Gas-Smoker-DGW1904BDP-D/206289003

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My fav recipes is BBQ Chickpea & Cauliflower Flatbreads with Avocado Mash
Here how I do it:
Ingredients:
12 oz. small cauliflower florets
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
salt
BBQ Chickpea "Nuts"
2 ripe avocados
2 tbsp. lemon juice
4 flatbreads or pocketless pitas, toasted
2 tbsp. roasted salted pepitas
Hot sauce, for serving
Steps:
  1. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss cauliflower with olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt; roast in 425 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
  2. Mash avocados with lemon juice and pinch salt; spread all over flatbreads. Top with roasted cauliflower, chickpeas and pepitas. Serve with drizzle of hot sauce.

NomNomNom That sounds delicious! Trying this one soon :)

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my recipe for Curry Roasted Carrots. I use Vindaloo curry powder but it is spicy. Feel free to use whatever curry powder you prefer. Garam Masala is also good.

Curry Roasted Carrots:

1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon light tasting olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt free Vindaloo curry powder (or other desired curry powder)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 pounds trimmed carrots, cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch chunks
1 1/2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cilantro sprig, for garnish

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment; coat lightly with no-stick spray.

In a large bowl whisk together the ketchup, butter, honey, olive oil, Vindaloo powder and salt. Remove 2 Tablespoons and set aside. Into the remaining ketchup mixture in bowl, add the carrots. Toss to coat. Place carrots in a single layer onto prepared baking sheet. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake for 15 minutes on center rack. Remove foil. Cook for 24 to 30 minutes more, or until carrots are just tender when pierced with a sharp knife, stirring occasionally. Brush carrots with reserved ketchup mixture. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Garnish with cilantro sprig. Makes 4 servings

vindaloocarrotsresize.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient thought of you when I came across this: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/smoked-watermelon-ham

Does anyone here have experience with jackfruit? I've had it a couple times this year dining out around town (jackfruit tostadas and jackfruit "pulled pork" style sandwich) and I love it. I'd like to recreate the pulled "pork" at home, but 1. I don't want to buy a whole jackfruit, and 2. I have no idea what I'm doing, oh...and 3. I think there's a pre-made version called Tex Mex Jackfruit or something? So curious. I haven't had a pulled pork sandwich in 14 years and it's one of my most-missed carnivorous habits.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient thought of you when I came across this: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/smoked-watermelon-ham

Does anyone here have experience with jackfruit? I've had it a couple times this year dining out around town (jackfruit tostadas and jackfruit "pulled pork" style sandwich) and I love it. I'd like to recreate the pulled "pork" at home, but 1. I don't want to buy a whole jackfruit, and 2. I have no idea what I'm doing, oh...and 3. I think there's a pre-made version called Tex Mex Jackfruit or something? So curious. I haven't had a pulled pork sandwich in 14 years and it's one of my most-missed carnivorous habits.

Interesting! I never would have thought of that!

We had jackfruit a couple of times this summer but didn't care for it. Probably not very fresh so I am sure that impacted the flavor. I have heard the flavor is good and a great meat substitute. Hoping someone shares some insight!

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I love jackfruit!! I've never worked with the actual fruit (it's way too big and I'd really hate to waste any!) but I purchase the prepacked options. I get them from Whole Foods. In the Whole Foods by me, they keep the vegan/veggie meat replacements (like Beyond Beef, Seitan, etc) in a separate isle along with the Soy/Almond milks and creamers. They have a BBQ style one that I use for pulled "pork" sandwiches fairly regularly. I add some broccoli coleslaw to the sandwich for crunch. I think I have some in my fridge. I'll try to remember and take a picture of the package.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ABKIS thanks! I'll look for the prepackaged jackfruit next time I go to the store. We don't have Whole Foods here (a WF365 was slated to open but apparently the competition was too fierce from the rest of the upscale grocers basically right next door plus a huge pushback from the local co-op and townspeople) but literally every grocer in town carries vegan/vegetarian items, and astonishingly they are even beginning to integrate said items into the "regular" food sections! Like, our almond/cashew/soy milk is with the dairy milk/yogurt/creamer, and Halo Top non-dairy is with Halo Top dairy, etc. Maybe that's not really integration, but instead more product offerings for those who adhere to plant-based diets. Either way, #winning!

I'm with you on buying a fresh jackfruit--I'd never use all of it. I only see them randomly here in produce departments and I think they're more of a curiosity/novelty here than an actual staple of anyone's diet, so there's that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results