shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Prevent Me From Saying Here''s the Box, Marry Me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
So I am completely lost in how to propose. I say this because of my limited time frame which I cannot disclose, let's just say its got to be on "this" day. We have talked about getting married and she knows I intend to propose but how do I keep it low key but romantic. The last time we talked about it she stated " well it's a dead give away if you say let's go out somewhere nice". So how do I keep it sweet and romantic but not make her believe it's coming that day?

At this point we are separated by distance.

Any Ideas?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
What are your favorite activities to do together? Where was your first date? Take an activity you both enjoy, and ask her then. That way, she won''t think anything is out of the ordinary. If you two enjoy ordering in, kicking back and watching a movie, a perfect ending would be a lovely proposal! (Then you can open a bottle of wine/champagne if you wish and celebrate!)

Good Luck!

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
I wanted to do it before Thanksgiving but then again I thought about doing it afterwards maybe if we went and saw Christmas Displays the day after. Doing it before Thanksgiving gives her the time to show off her ring to her entire family and friends. Where as if I did it after it could be a little more romantic but not as many people will get to see it.

What do you think?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Here is a website... with a lot of wines and champagnes that you can personalize. You could do a low-key dinner at the house, or movie night, or anything, really. You could have a bottle personalized with a photo of the two of you, and "Will you marry me?" on it. Serve dinner and wrap the wine bottle with a cloth napkin or dish towel, and just expose it when you are ready to. She would probably never see it coming!

You could also do a breakfast proposal?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 9:45:03 PM
Author: KeepItSecret
I wanted to do it before Thanksgiving but then again I thought about doing it afterwards maybe if we went and saw Christmas Displays the day after. Doing it before Thanksgiving gives her the time to show off her ring to her entire family and friends. Where as if I did it after it could be a little more romantic but not as many people will get to see it.

What do you think?
I like the idea of doing it before Thanksgiving so she can show her family and friends, and think that you can absolutely find a way to be sweet and romantic while surprising her. Do the two of you live together? Maybe breakfast in bed with a rose and a glass of champagne? If she''s saying she''ll know something''s up if the two of you go out somewhere nice, she''ll be thinking she can guess in advance and pretty herself up to prepare, so a morning proposal (to me) sounds like a great way to surprise her.

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
Trillionaire:

I too was thinking breakfast proposal. It would give her the entire day to enjoy the sparkle from her ring plus the following day to show off to her family. It's not too fancy or suspecting.

Currently we do not live together because of distance and I will not see her until that day so there will be no sleepovers at her place the night before.

I am still open to other recommendations.

rosskuhns

Rough_Rock
Ahhh, too bad about the sleep over. I found an article on ideas (sorry, don''t have it linked on this laptop, it''s at home).

The idea was that you slip the ring on her finger while she''s still asleep, then wake her up with breakfast in bed, a rose and such...then wait until she notices the ring...

I like that one. Thought someone else might find it useful.

Ross

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...what about leaving that morning, like planned..and then you take a "different route" to a scenic park or place to propose? Or "I need to make a stop before we leave.." and then it''s at a romantic spot?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 4:06:10 PM
Author: Elmorton
Hmmm...what about leaving that morning, like planned..and then you take a ''different route'' to a scenic park or place to propose? Or ''I need to make a stop before we leave..'' and then it''s at a romantic spot?
That''s a nice idea! I keep thinking that a picnic would be perfect, but at this time of year (unless you''re in the southern hemisphere) it probably wouldn''t be the nicest picnic weather.
3.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of doing it before Thanksgiving, too. Showing off the ring and getting all the congratulations is pretty exciting!

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
To make this all happen before Thanksgiving would require me to ask her father over the phone for his daughter''s hand in marriage instead of face-to-face. My preference would have been to do it in person but I think if I explain to him how much I just want his daughter to indulge in the delight of being engaged, I think he would understand. Don''t you? The only other way it could work for that day is if I met him at his place of work during lunch and asked him then but I don''t think it''s something someone wants to discuss during their workday.

The hardest part of this all will be stopping from wanting to just run to her and tell her how much I love her, drop to one knee and propose. Having this ring and keeping it a secret is so hard.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 2:39:42 PM
To make this all happen before Thanksgiving would require me to ask her father over the phone for his daughter''s hand in marriage instead of face-to-face. My preference would have been to do it in person but I think if I explain to him how much I just want his daughter to indulge in the delight of being engaged, I think he would understand. Don''t you?

Yes, I do. Admittedly that''s because my father''s reaction when my FI proposed to me was "it''s about time".
20.gif

edl

Shiny_Rock
To make this all happen before Thanksgiving would require me to ask her father over the phone for his daughter''s hand in marriage instead of face-to-face. My preference would have been to do it in person but I think if I explain to him how much I just want his daughter to indulge in the delight of being engaged, I think he would understand. Don''t you? The only other way it could work for that day is if I met him at his place of work during lunch and asked him then but I don''t think it''s something someone wants to discuss during their workday.

The hardest part of this all will be stopping from wanting to just run to her and tell her how much I love her, drop to one knee and propose. Having this ring and keeping it a secret is so hard.
Well, asking the father over the phone wouldn''t work in my situation - my FI''s family is traditional Taiwanese, so respect and honor are a huge thing for them. They would actually be insulted if I asked over the phone. But hopefully your situation is different
21.gif

For what it''s worth, I met my FI''s father and mother during the workday and took them to lunch.

Definitely a morning proposal is nice, so she has all day to show off. And, diamonds look great in the sun! Whatever you do, if she''s traditional I suggest dropping to one or both knees.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 2:15:47 PM
Author: rosskuhns
Ahhh, too bad about the sleep over. I found an article on ideas (sorry, don''t have it linked on this laptop, it''s at home).

The idea was that you slip the ring on her finger while she''s still asleep, then wake her up with breakfast in bed, a rose and such...then wait until she notices the ring...

I like that one. Thought someone else might find it useful.

Ross
Im sorry but that is the worst idea.. and please do NOT do it... I actually heard a story of a guy who put the ring on his GFs hand while she was sleeping and something tickled her face... and she scratched her face with the ring... needless to say... she didnt say yes and made him do it again.. with a different ring...I woulda done the same....and its just weird thinking the guy is sitting there watching you sleep till you finally wake up... just weird...

KeepItSecret

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I saw this in the proposal idea thread and thought it was kind of cute. Since we have been apart she sometimes questions how much I love her since I have not proposed yet (life has thrown us some curve balls which put off the proposal for a year). Due to me having to traveling to see her I thought I could tell her I bought her a gift at the Tamarac (gift and rest stop) in West Virginia which we always joked about as we stopped at it when we used to drive home to see our family. I would give her the box and then at the end of the petals I could tell her how much she means to me no matter what it says. Then present her with the Tacori box with the petal which says "he loves you" in gold or silver and propose.

Comments on my proposal?

Please see below for the notes from the original posting.

The sweetest thing I've ever heard of was done by my friend. He bought a fabric daisy from a craft store and cut the petals off, then placed the petals into a small wooden box - making sure that there were an EVEN number of petals in the box. He then printed a card that said "Remember that childhood game 'He loves me, he loves me not? Now you can play it again! Pick up a petal and say "He loves me!", then pick up the next one and say, "He loves me not!" and continue until the petals are all gone. What did you end on? That's your love fortune!" (or something like that). He put the card in the box and had the whole thing shrinkwrapped and even took a price sticker off something else and put it on the box, so it looked like something he bought at the store. All in all it was pretty cheap to do, under $10. Then he gave it to her, acting like it was some silly thing he found at the store that he thought she'd like. When she opened it, she played the game and, since there were an even number of petals, ended on "He loves me not!" She was sad until he pulled out another petal from his pocket and said, "Don't be too sure!" The last "he loves me" petal was glued to the top of the ring box.

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 7:53:23 PM

Please see below for the notes from the original posting.

The sweetest thing I''ve ever heard of was done by my friend. He bought a fabric daisy from a craft store and cut the petals off, then placed the petals into a small wooden box - making sure that there were an EVEN number of petals in the box. He then printed a card that said ''Remember that childhood game ''He loves me, he loves me not? Now you can play it again! Pick up a petal and say ''He loves me!'', then pick up the next one and say, ''He loves me not!'' and continue until the petals are all gone. What did you end on? That''s your love fortune!'' (or something like that). He put the card in the box and had the whole thing shrinkwrapped and even took a price sticker off something else and put it on the box, so it looked like something he bought at the store. All in all it was pretty cheap to do, under $10. Then he gave it to her, acting like it was some silly thing he found at the store that he thought she''d like. When she opened it, she played the game and, since there were an even number of petals, ended on ''He loves me not!'' She was sad until he pulled out another petal from his pocket and said, ''Don''t be too sure!'' The last ''he loves me'' petal was glued to the top of the ring box.
LOVE IT!

ringless

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I would try not to use someone elses proposal. I would do what means the most to you and what you think your girlfriend would absoutly love. C''mon I know you can do this... just think of something romantic and something personal for the both of you.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 9:35:59 PM
Author: pjean

To make this all happen before Thanksgiving would require me to ask her father over the phone for his daughter''s hand in marriage instead of face-to-face. My preference would have been to do it in person but I think if I explain to him how much I just want his daughter to indulge in the delight of being engaged, I think he would understand. Don''t you?

Yes, I do. Admittedly that''s because my father''s reaction when my FI proposed to me was ''it''s about time''.
20.gif
9.gif
Thats what our folks had written on our engagement party cake
37.gif

I don''t think it would matter asking him on the phone or during lunch considering the circumstances. I am pretty sure he would be thrilled either way.

Good luck!!

zman8

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 1:24:20 AM
Author: trillionaire
Here is a website... with a lot of wines and champagnes that you can personalize. You could do a low-key dinner at the house, or movie night, or anything, really. You could have a bottle personalized with a photo of the two of you, and ''Will you marry me?'' on it. Serve dinner and wrap the wine bottle with a cloth napkin or dish towel, and just expose it when you are ready to. She would probably never see it coming!

You could also do a breakfast proposal?

I really love the wine idea. As wine snobs, this would be a great idea, and a chance to compete with my friend''s proposal, http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2008-04-16-crossword-proposal_N.htm .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results