shape
carat
color
clarity

Please look at this ring

mnemikeevans

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Before I take the plunge and buy my gf this ring I’d like to know if you think this is a good diamond/setting. She does like it as I showed it to her ages ago.
https://www.jamesallen.com/shopping-cart/

also I’m having it shipped to the UK so will I need to pay taxes on it etc.?

thanks.
Mike.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you’re buying a ring in the US and shipping it to the UK then you’ll definitely need to pay taxes. Import VAT is 20%, plus there’s import duty (either 3 or 4%, I can’t remember which) and an admin fee charged by the courier to process through customs for you (flat rate, circa £10/20).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That link is going to show everyone what is in their shopping cart (which is usually nothing) and not what is in your shopping cart.

You need to provide a separate link to the stone and the setting you picked if you want some opinions.

Edit...In the upper right hand corner of the JA display you will see a flag. You can change the flag to GBP and it should give you the prices
you have to pay (I dont think you have to pay taxes on top of it...but double check) and the stones that are available to you.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1B9328B3-8788-41FB-B300-B08C92E84FD7.jpeg
Here’s an excerpt from the JA FAQs. I *think* JA are different to Blue Nile and don’t have a European base/site to order from that includes tax, but check with a rep before ordering! Blue Nile UK gives you the price in £ and inclusive of tax, but I’m pretty sure the JA price, even if stated in sterling, will exclude any taxes. You can probably make a sense check by checking the same stone in $ and £ - if the difference is about the exchange rate then it isn’t including the 20+% UK tax (and you’ll therefore be charged it when it hits the border). At least, that makes sense in my head!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually factor in about 25% on top of the purchase price as a combination of import VAT and custom duty charges, plus handling fee for the courier (e.g. Royal Mail is 8.00 GBP per delivery).

DK :))

mnemikeevans

Rough_Rock
It’s diamond SKU8075920
And setting SKU17421P

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s diamond SKU8075920
And setting SKU17421P

We need to see the GIA certification to comment on this stone. Please request it from JA and post it here.

EDIT. here is the stone: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-8075920

EDIT 2: The stone looks good except I think the angle of the 360 view might be weird since some of the arrows look weirdly invisible. That or something is wrong with the cut, but that seems unlikely given the H&A image.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did your GF specifically ask for this type of setting? I personally do not like it becuase it makes the round stone look like a cushion, and I think the "roll over" halo is not done particularly well here. But obviously if she sent it as an example of something she likes then ignore me

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SKU for setting coming up with nothing. Cant you just bring up the setting page, capture the link, and post it here?

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Did your GF specifically ask for this type of setting? I personally do not like it becuase it makes the round stone look like a cushion, and I think the "roll over" halo is not done particularly well here. But obviously if she sent it as an example of something she likes then ignore me

I have to agree with love dogs. Round in a cushion setting. If your GF likes the setting have you considered a cushion for the center stone?

mnemikeevans

Rough_Rock
Yes that’s the setting and stone she wanted. Doesn’t a round stone shine thine most out of all the shapes? So if it costs £6000 getting it shipped to the uk should cost a total of roughly £7300?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that’s the setting and stone she wanted. Doesn’t a round stone shine thine most out of all the shapes? So if it costs £6000 getting it shipped to the uk should cost a total of roughly £7300?

Yes, the round is thought to (in general) have the look that people like the most. I wasn't criticizing the round stone--my point was that the setting is a cushion shape, so it makes the stone look like a cushion, which is not everyone's preference.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There’s a lot of pave in that ring style, including on the sides where it’s more likely to get accidentally knocked against table edges etc. I’m not sure that I’d personally order that particular style from overseas: I assume you’d need to return it to JA to repair (to preserve any guarantee) and international returns shipping can be burdensome re: customs red tape requirements. I think the hassle of overseas purchase is definitely worth the risk for a simpler solitaire style that is unlikely to need repair in the same way or regularity. If you have a local repair bench who could do any work and are happy to fund it yourself rather than under any guarantee, then that point is moot though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results