shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with EC! 20+% GIA and Sarin table discrepancy

turkoftheplains

Rough_Rock
I looked at the the specs and thought this stone looked like a winner, and I like the images (this EC seems to have lots of "zebra stripes" though it has considerable dark areas too.)

The thing that scared the heck out of me is the table, which GIA reports as 65% is 87.6% on the Sarin report! I know there can be differences in calibration, but I'm terrified this stone is going to look like cut glass in person now...

Some pics:
CI_GIA2131342979.jpg Sarin_GIA2131342979.jpg DI40XG_GIA2131342979.jpg DI40X_GIA2131342979.jpg IS_GIA2131342979.jpg AST_GIA2131342979.jpg

turkoftheplains

Rough_Rock
Re: Please help with EC! 20+% GIA and Sarin table discrepanc

Beyond this difference in the numbers, does this stone look any good from pictures? I only have 2 days to decide...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What does the GIA report say for table? I cant read it. It looks to be a beautiful stone but I just dont know
enough about ECs to help you.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

It is correct. Just take the actual dimension for the width and table width and do the math. Table width divided by width to get the table &, that is how GIA calculates the table %, not sure what the sarin algo is.

turkoftheplains

Rough_Rock

Since people are having problems viewing the report, here are the specs from GIA report: 1.2ct, GIA cert, E/VVS2, 7.41x5.16x3.34, D: 64,7%, T: 65%, girdle thin-medium, polish VG/symm E.

Talked to WF rep and gemologist today. Apparently the Sarin template was setup for rounds (since they are the bulk of WF's inventory) and was using the table length%. They sent me a new Sarin that reflected this and lists the table as (66.2-87.6%), but is otherwise unchanged from the above.

I asked the gemologist about leakage on the ASET and whether the stone would look glassy. He told me it was a beautiful stone and that the reflector images really didn't do it justice. He said it absolutely did not look leaky in person, but I couldn't really get him to engage me in more technical talk about angles and patterns.

I'm inclined to trust WF on their reputation and return policy, but I do admit I wasn't 100% reassured by this conversation. I know WF mostly sells brilliants and princesses, but they are held in high esteem here-- should I take the gemologist at his word in spite of the ASET?

turkoftheplains

Rough_Rock

I just realized that the gemologist I spoke to was Brian, who I've just learned (using PS and google) is a cutter and has been spoken of very highly here-- by Karl, the step cut maven no less!

This goes a long way towards easing my anxieties about the ASET.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Different Brian. Brian the cutter has left WF almost 2 years ago to start his own company, briangavindiamonds.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

The top crown angle is shallow so the sarin missed it on the scans which is where it got the 86%.
By the pics the 65% looks about right.
I looks like a good traditional EC to me.
Without video it is tough to say much more.

turkoftheplains

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much for your input, Karl! I take it that you don't think there's excessive leakage based on those reflector images and the numbers, then?

WF didn't offer me videos as an option, I know GOG does them. Assuming everything looks OK at first pass (as it seems to), I may just go ahead and get it to see in person.

stone_cold: Good to know; that's a shame, though. All the more reason to get some extra opinions.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

turkoftheplains|1307720383|2942526 said:
Thanks so much for your input, Karl! I take it that you don't think there's excessive leakage based on those reflector images and the numbers, then?
there is good light return over the p3s which is a good sign.
The dark zones are normal for the cut, what separates a good one from a bad one is that when slightly tilted the dark zones flash in a good one, in a bad one they stay dark, you cant tell from static images.
Seeing it in person and viewing it in as many different lighting environments as possible within the return period is a good idea.

turkoftheplains

Rough_Rock
Updates

Sending the diamond to Dave Atlas for appraisal. Assuming it checks out, I'm planning on setting it in a custom platinum setting--modified (to fit an EC) legato sleek line with split prongs/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results