shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help, need guidance about a loose diamond I''m looking to buy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dr. Nick

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum, and I''m a bit of a newbie when it comes to diamonds, though I''ve done my fair share of research lately. I would really appreciate some guidance with regards to a stone I''m considering purchasing, as it just seems a bit too good to be true (and generally when that''s the case, I find that it IS). The basics: 2.22 carats, E color, SI2, Tolkowsky Ideal Cut

Here are the stats:

Certified by EGL:
Weight: 2.22 Cts
Shape and Cut: Round Brilliant
Depth: 62.1%
Width: 57%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted

Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Graining: Nil
Fluorescence: None

Price: $10,600

The dealer is very reputable. I haven''t checked to see if it''s eye clean, but assuming it is, am I missing something? Please let me know your thoughts. Just an FYI, this is to replace my wife''s current stone. So long as it looks in terms of brilliance, that''s fine with me, neither of us are diamond connoisseurs. :)

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Dr. Nick,

Seems fairly priced for an EGL. But I would be very weary of an EGL SI2 unless your comfortable with eye visible inclusions. It could even have serious durability issues. It definitely needs to be checked out by an independent expert.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Nick,

I don't know if you are aware but EGL are said to be soft on grading in some circumstances compared to the top two labs, GIA and AGS. Also EGL labs are not created equal with EGL USA thought to be the strongest of these, so can you find out which EGL lab graded the diamond, such as EGL USA, Israel etc?

This tutorial explains more on how the grading labs rank. EGL graded diamonds often have a lower pricetag than GIA or AGS so a lower price is usual.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

The diamond in question appears to be well cut, if you want to consider it then make the sale final on it checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraiser. Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

You will also need to check very carefully that this diamond is eyeclean to your standards, for example if you don't want to see any inclusions visible from any angle at close scrutiny, make sure you tell the vendor that so you are both on the same page. Definitely get an appraisal before the sale becomes final if you want to proceed.

Dr. Nick

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. I did a little more research and found out the diamond is certified through EGL Israel, which I''ve heard is cause for concern. The dealer is online (Abazias) and from what I''ve read, they are reputable. I''m guessing the answer to my next question, "should I still be concerned?," is yes, right?

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.
Nick

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I bet the diamond is exactly as represented, but for the same budget you might be able to find something thats a little more safe. Perhaps you can work with a vendor that specializes in truly well crafted diamonds. EGL certs can be tricky and it is easier to pick a nice diamond online certified by more consistent laboratories like AGS and GIA.

If you are open to other suggestions I am sure some others here would love to help you pick a nice diamond that gets you the best deal for your criteria.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You know, with those stats the crown and pavilion angles are pretty nice (assuming no culet); appx 40.7/34.9. Paired with a 57% table & nominal minor facets the geometry could make it a beautiful performer.

With that said I must agree with the prior posts. A 2ct diamond with such proportions could be sent to GIA for the EX cut grade and better profitability, even if the color was judged to actually be F or G. The EGL Israel SI2 on the report implies an issue deep enough to send it to an infamously soft lab to stay in the SI range. While it's not SI3 (EGL does have that grade, which is more like I1 when EGL-USA uses it and worse from EGL Israel) the situation still seems dubious. At worse it may have characteristics which interfere with optics...and at worst its durability may be compromised as mentioned above.

If you do choose to proceed I would first request the grading report to see the clarity plot. If you choose to move forward I suggest that getting a reputable independent appraiser involved would be a wise (and fractional) investment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results