shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
Thanks in advance for any help. I am a week or so away from buying a diamond, and am feeling quite confused. I have found two on pricescope that i am interested in, but I cant make a decision.

The two:

http://www.abazias.com/builder/builder.asp?view=diamondsearch&flag=ps&selectedDiamond=2839981

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1200245.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

My GF says she doesn''t care if a diamond is flawless, she just wants it to "look nice"....thanks. Anyway, both of the options appear to have their pros and cons...but I''m totally uneducated in diamonds.

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 11:06:10 AM
Author:bosebaltimore
Thanks in advance for any help. I am a week or so away from buying a diamond, and am feeling quite confused. I have found two on pricescope that i am interested in, but I cant make a decision.

The two:

http://www.abazias.com/builder/builder.asp?view=diamondsearch&flag=ps&selectedDiamond=2839981

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1200245.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

My GF says she doesn't care if a diamond is flawless, she just wants it to 'look nice'....thanks. Anyway, both of the options appear to have their pros and cons...but I'm totally uneducated in diamonds.

Thanks!
Welcome,

The diamond from JA has a larger table which can be fine if you like the larger tabled look, but you will need to contact them to get the crucial info, the crown and pavilion angles as the report hasn't been loaded. Once you get that info report back here and then we can get a better idea. You will need to do the same with the Abazias diamond. Don't go by labels such as premium cut as these don't mean a thing concerning cut and beauty. If you like, give us an idea of budget for the diamond and your requirements and we could look for some diamonds you might like? It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty so this is very important to concentrate on, so if you prefer to search yourself, centre your search around GIA Excellent cut grade and AGS0 cut grade, that will narrow the field, then you can use the Holloway Cut Advisor in order to help you see which diamonds are worth a further look, you will find AGS0 to probably score below 2 in most cases which is the aim than some GIA Excellent as these can vary in some cases. When using the HCA remember it is a tool for elimination, not selection and that a lower score isn't better than a higher one - the aim is to score below 2 then evaluate from there.

Here is the cut advisor.

https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
I''ve requested the report. For someone who is not an expert, and doesn''t need the "perfect" stone, are these two stones good options?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
''Premium'' as indicated on both stones means nothing. If you say that your girlfriend does not care about inclusions, but that she wants the diamond to look nice, you have to dig deeper into cut-quality.

A minimum is to obtain the average proportions (angles) of the stone, and check them in the HCA.
Then, you can ask for an actual idealscope-pic of the stone. Possibly of its H&A.

Finally, do not forget, you get what you pay for.

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 11:15:16 AM
Author: bosebaltimore
I''ve requested the report. For someone who is not an expert, and doesn''t need the ''perfect'' stone, are these two stones good options?
No way to tell without detailed proportions and preferably Idealscope images. Your colour and clarity sound fine, just make sure with SI clarities that you check the diamond is what we call eyeclean to your standards by asking the vendor.

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
Great. I will post the more detailed info once I get it. I was hoping to not spend more than $9k on the stone. I have no idea what my eyeclean standards are. I did check out an I si2 1.5 at a local jeweler, and this is what I based my criteria on.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 11:30:10 AM

Great. I will post the more detailed info once I get it. I was hoping to not spend more than $9k on the stone. I have no idea what my eyeclean standards are. I did check out an I si2 1.5 at a local jeweler, and this is what I based my criteria on.
This thread might help you decide what degree of '' eyecleanliness'' is right for you.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-eye-clean-definition-interpretation-and-taste.30483/

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock

That does help! My girlfriend has said that if it looks good in a ring, and there aren''t huge black spots in it, she will love it. She has said that she would rather have something larger than more clear.

I think that the main criteria is about 1.5ct, I color (this looks white to me), and nothing noticeable when you’re looking at the stone in a ring at about a foot....and to stay under $9k.

Am I to take the comment "you get what you pay for" to mean I''m looking at junk?
What exactly is a "large tabled look"?

Thanks again.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 1:39:34 PM

That does help! My girlfriend has said that if it looks good in a ring, and there aren't huge black spots in it, she will love it. She has said that she would rather have something larger than more clear.

I think that the main criteria is about 1.5ct, I color (this looks white to me), and nothing noticeable when you’re looking at the stone in a ring at about a foot....and to stay under $9k.

Am I to take the comment 'you get what you pay for' to mean I'm looking at junk?

What exactly is a 'large tabled look'?

Thanks again.
Glad to help!

Ok so it sounds as if you have a workable base for the ' eyecleanliness' of your diamond. No you are not looking at junk, I can't speak for Paul but I think what he meant was that the cut of your diamond is crucial ( totally agree) and that in order to properly judge the cut of any diamond, you need images such as Idealscope and ASET ( agree again). And don't go by labels such as Premium Cut as these don't mean a thing and are certainly no guarantee of a well cut diamond.

A larger tabled look...I will try to explain as best I can. From my experience, many of the diamonds we see here have tables between 54- 57% thereabouts which are of top cut quality. Some diamonds you see have larger tables such as 60% or above. You may here the term 60 60 used, which describes a diamond with 60% table and depth. What this means when viewing such diamonds is that the larger table can give the illusion of the diamond perhaps looking a touch larger and this can also make the diamond look bright and brilliant, but the trade off can be that you might notice less fire or coloured light.

This tutorial explains more - http://diamonds.pricescope.com/tablesize.asp

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock

I''m still waiting on the report from JA. I did notice on the JA stone it notes a medium blue florescence. I have done some research on florescence, and everything I have read says that there is really no negative impact on the visual appeal of the stone in normal lighting...but they cost less. What''s the deal?

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 4:11:26 PM

I''m still waiting on the report from JA. I did notice on the JA stone it notes a medium blue florescence. I have done some research on florescence, and everything I have read says that there is really no negative impact on the visual appeal of the stone in normal lighting...but they cost less. What''s the deal?

Thanks.
Med blue fluorescence is fine and won''t have a negative effect on the diamond, fluorescence was popular years ago then it went out of favour and since then that idea has persisted somewhat that fluorescence is undesirable. However it is really a matter of taste, I enjoy the effects of it and consider it a bonus in a diamond. You might have read this page but I will link it anyway as it goes into greater detail.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
OK....got the report.

The description on JA said Medium blue, but the report says medium yellow. It also only got a 5.4 on the cut advisor....

I''m gussing I should keep looking.

1200245.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 11:20:33 AM
OK....got the report.

The description on JA said Medium blue, but the report says medium yellow. It also only got a 5.4 on the cut advisor....

Then I would assume the report is correct concerning the colour of the fluorescence - and I think to keep looking would be best.

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
This one looks much better. Cut advisor 2, blue fluor instead of yellow, smaller table.

Measurements 7.39 - 7.50 x 4.49 mm
1.53 ct
H
SI1
Strong Blue
60% table
60.3% depth
34.5 crown
40.8 pav
medium-slightly thick faceted

Thoughts?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/6/2009 11:20:33 AM
OK....got the report.

Did you report this discrepancy so they can correct the listing? If not someone else can, but they should certainly be alerted.

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
I''ll send them an email right now. Thanks for the advice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 11:59:03 AM
This one looks much better. Cut advisor 2, blue fluor instead of yellow, smaller table.

Measurements 7.39 - 7.50 x 4.49 mm
1.53 ct
H
SI1
Strong Blue
60% table
60.3% depth
34.5 crown
40.8 pav
medium-slightly thick faceted

Thoughts?
This one looks better, not a top cut but has potential, see if you can get an Idealscope image for it.

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
OK...Ideascope. To an untrained eye...it looks decent. The symmetry does look a little off. PLease let me know what you think.

Thanks.

1201375.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2009 12:01:00 PM
OK...Ideascope. To an untrained eye...it looks decent. The symmetry does look a little off. PLease let me know what you think.

Thanks.
It looks ok, not the best I have ever seen but still a good cut, the symmetry isn''t perfect but overall if you aren''t looking for a top cut diamond it could be worth considering, do you have pics of the actual diamond?

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
Sorry about that...attached the wrong one.

Here it is.

763RHPIC.jpg

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
I''ll leave the diamond quality opinion to the experts, but I am female and I DO like that setting!
Simple, yet pretty and tasteful...

Kat

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
Has anyone had a hard time getting a call back from J.A.? Has anyone had luck with a specific sales person there?

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 3:50:14 PM
Has anyone had a hard time getting a call back from J.A.? Has anyone had luck with a specific sales person there?

Thanks.
You could call them and ask to speak to Jim the owner or Josh has a good rep.

bosebaltimore

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei. How does the picture look by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results