shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me understand Pricescope and pick a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smarti5051

Rough_Rock
O.K. I now know what I want and it is just a matter of finding it using these great resources. So I throw myself on the mercy of the experts to give me any insight you can for using PriceScope and/or vendor resources.

I want to get a round, 2.0-2.2 ct. diamond, no worse than SI1 (but must be eye clean), color G (or maybe if it looked really white, H), diamond that is truly "ideally" cut and actually performs like an ideally cut diamond, while paying as close to the best price as I can. Now the questions, here goes:

1. Since cut is so important, and PriceScope seemingly does its AGS0/H&A cut search based on Table and Depth (I haven''t been able to find the pavilion depth, crown height, etc. necessary to properly evaluate the diamonds when I click on the prices), so how do you know that the diamonds it finds really qualify as ideal cut?? Do the vendors have to represent that the other criteria have been met, or is it only confirmed "ideal" with respect to the Table, Depth, and Polish/Symmetry criteria? Assuming, as I suspect, the additional criteria are necessary but have not been included with the diamonds listed on PriceScope, how does one effectively and efficiently evaluate different diamond options. For instance, if you see a 2.4 "ideal cut" G/SI1 for $17K and a 2.2 "ideal cut" G/SI1 for $16K, how do you evaluate which one is better without the other information? Assuming you can request the vendor run a sarin report to get this information, how much does this usually cost and who bears this expense? It seems like it would be impossible to realistically comparison shop 15-20 different diamonds, if you are paying like $100 (or even $40) to get a sarin report on each of them. Do you know what I mean? Am I just stupid and there is a simple answer to these questions?

2. Assuming you have found the truly "ideal cut" diamond you think will be the best (based solely on numbers), and you want to get a BrillianceScope analysis to make sure that it shines, what is the best way to get this report and how much does it usually cost? It seems like once you know the diamond is "ideal cut" odds are you can narrow your search down to a few diamonds, at least one of which is likely to be a be beauty, right? (incidentally, the last question really was a question, not merely rhetorical
1.gif
).

3. Assuming you have found the perfect stone and you are ready to consummate the purchase from an online vendor, what is the most effective way to get it set in a DVatche (is that the right spelling? ) engagement ring? I am assuming not every online diamond vendor can get it set in this setting? Is that right? Assuming I am, how would you go about getting the setting if you already have the diamond?

Any help you can provide on any of the aforementioned questions would be greatly appreciated. I have read so much in the past month on the internet in preparation for this purchase, but I still have these nagging questions. It almost seems like cheating to potentially have all of them answered by simply posting them, but if you could help I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you so much,
Scott

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure you will get many responses to this post but here's a quick take:

----------------
On 5/21/2003 8:15:25 PM Smarti5051 wrote:

1. Since cut is so important, and PriceScope seemingly does its AGS0/H&A cut search based on Table and Depth (I haven't been able to find the pavilion depth, crown height, etc. necessary to properly evaluate the diamonds when I click on the prices), so how do you know that the diamonds it finds really qualify as ideal cut?? Do the vendors have to represent that the other criteria have been met, or is it only confirmed "ideal" with respect to the Table, Depth, and Polish/Symmetry criteria? Assuming, as I suspect, the additional criteria are necessary but have not been included with the diamonds listed on PriceScope, how does one effectively and efficiently evaluate different diamond options. For instance, if you see a 2.4 "ideal cut" G/SI1 for $17K and a 2.2 "ideal cut" G/SI1 for $16K, how do you evaluate which one is better without the other information? Assuming you can request the vendor run a sarin report to get this information, how much does this usually cost and who bears this expense? It seems like it would be impossible to realistically comparison shop 15-20 different diamonds, if you are paying like $100 (or even $40) to get a sarin report on each of them. Do you know what I mean? Am I just stupid and there is a simple answer to these questions?

---For this size stone, the right vendor will provide all of this info to you for free. Here on pscope you will see goodoldgold (rhino), whiteflash (lesleyh), niceice (robin & todd) and superbcert (barry) all provide this information and are highly regarded on this forum.

2. Assuming you have found the truly "ideal cut" diamond you think will be the best (based solely on numbers), and you want to get a BrillianceScope analysis to make sure that it shines, what is the best way to get this report and how much does it usually cost? It seems like once you know the diamond is "ideal cut" odds are you can narrow your search down to a few diamonds, at least one of which is likely to be a be beauty, right? (incidentally, the last question really was a question, not merely rhetorical
1.gif
).

----Same answer as before. But there have been some "issues" with brilliancescope results. Supposedly, the results are very sensitive to calibration of the machine. Run a search on the forum for brilliancescope and you will come across more info. If the vendor won't supply this info, then you can find an appraiser that will, I think Rich Sherwood may be able to do this for you (also a frequent expert here). If the appraiser can do it, I don't think it will cost too much and is probably included in their review anyway. An appraisal like this could cost anywhere from $70 to over $200.

3. Assuming you have found the perfect stone and you are ready to consummate the purchase from an online vendor, what is the most effective way to get it set in a DVatche (is that the right spelling? ) engagement ring? I am assuming not every online diamond vendor can get it set in this setting? Is that right? Assuming I am, how would you go about getting the setting if you already have the diamond?

----Many vendors can have it set for you. Whiteflash is one to consider, check out their site to see the dvatche settings. If the vendor can't do it, buy the setting separate and have either the appraiser make arrangements or find a local jeweler to set the stone. Just don't let them burn you b/c they are bitter, ie. don't tell them you bought the diamond on-line. Some get upset and try to take advantage of you or guilt trip you.

Hope this helps.

----------------

Smarti5051

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help Homer. I am hoping others can provide some insight as well. Incidentally, can a non-Vatche retailer contract with a Vatche retailer to have the ring set in a Vatche setting? Is this standard practice or a pain in the rear? Timing really isn't a major concern, but are there other drawbacks to this?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I had a non-dvatche retailer try to request a dvatche setting to show me. They wouldn't do it. So, I'm guessing they are pretty tight on keeping to their authorized dealers only. However, once you buy it, it's yours do with as you please. But that may jeopardize any warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results