shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick! Thank you!

Novice22

Rough_Rock
I'm sure you all see these types of posts a lot, but I could really use the help! I've been doing research for months and checking out the site and have learned more about diamonds in those months than I ever knew existed! But, I still have no clue what to pick when it comes to finally making the important decision between a chosen lot. I've narrowed it down, of these 5 which would you choose? pickone.jpg (hopefully the image is large enough, if not I'll post all the details).

I ran the information on each through the HCA (I also posted more information below that is not in the image as well as the HCA score for each). From what I've read, I should definitely choose between #1, #3, and #5, with #5 being the front runner. But is HCA score determinative?

The decision became all the more difficult when I expanded my search options to SI1 clarity. All else being equal (ideal/excellent cut, I color, excellent polish and symmetry), do you go with a 1.2 carat at VS1 or VS2 clarity, or a 1.3 carat at SI1 clarity? I'm only concerned with quality at the naked eye, not under a scope.

Here's the more info:

#1:
Crown angle: 35
Pavilion angle: 41
HCA score: 2.3
#2:
Crown angle: 33.5
Pavilion angle: 41.4
HCA score: 4.3
#3:
Pavilion angle: 41
HCA score: 2.5
#4:
Crown angle: 35.5
Pavilion angle: 41.6
HCA score: 6.2
#5:
Pavilion angle: 40.8
HCA score: 1.5

Thank you so much for any advice, recommendations, assistance you can provide!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
can you ask if 5 is eye-clean to your specs? if so that is the one I would pick given the information you have. if you had images or could get idealscope images that would tell more.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
w/o pics or more info would toss 4 & 2

lower half % on the others? ETA - all 80, GIA

Numbers on report don't tell the full story, so buy #5 and have it shipped out and look at it, if you don't like it/see something wonky send it back and try #1/3 - BN has a generous return period, though I believe you are responsible for shipping?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only one out of the five I would even consider is #5. You are buying these by specs so I would rule out the others completely.
Personally, I probably would stay away from and SI, as I prefer VS stones, but that is a personal choice. A lot of people have found
great SI stones here.

Have you checked out vendors like Whiteflash, GOG or Brian Gavin diamond? You could talk to any of those vendors and they would
tell you about the eye clean-ness of any stone you pick.

If you want it to be really easy go with a signature stone in whiteflash or Brian Gavin. Any stone from Good old Gold that has a
lifetime warranty you would do well with. You have some other options, I would explore them a bit.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buying sight unseen the safest bet is number 5. I suggest you consider going up to VS2, though, if you want to stick with a drop shipper who cannot tell you if the stones are eye clean. Or else be totally prepared to return the diamond and try again.

Novice22

Rough_Rock
Lower % is 80.

I'll check out those other vendors recommended, thank you!

I eliminated 2 and 4. My concern with going up to VS1/2 is it takes me out of my budget unless I go down to 1.1-1.2 carat. Would you recommend a smaller diamond and avoiding SI1?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novice22|1303952142|2906658 said:
Lower % is 80.

I eliminated 2 and 4. My concern with going up to VS1/2 is it takes me out of my budget unless I go down to 1.1-1.2 carat. Would you recommend a smaller diamond and avoiding SI1?

Depends mostly on your personal definition of eyeclean. If you need the diamond to be clean from 10" from face-up w/ 20/20 vision your odds of finding an SI1 in this size that satisfy your requirements are pretty good, so I'd take the chance w/ a vendor w/ a good return policy. If you require it to be clean from 5" and you're nearsighted, or you require clean from the sides as well, then yes, increasing clarity grade is a good choice.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Novice22|1303952142|2906658 said:
Lower % is 80.

The size difference bewteen 1.1 and 1.26 is not very noticable, worth it to have VS2 for me.

You can stick with Si1 if you opt for a vendor with pictures. James Allen is the most comparable to BN for prices etc. What is you budget? ETA: I see it is 8k. I will look for you.

Novice22

Rough_Rock
I asked and BN does not provide pictures but will have each diamond inspected and tell you if it is eye-clean (no visible inclusions from top down at 6-8 inches away).

My concern with other vendors has always been not knowing which are reputable and trustworthy. Obviously if they come recommended from all of you, I am a lot more open to other options.

Novice22

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Thanks Dreamer for looking up some options!

Novice22

Rough_Rock
Another option I found on BN, upgrading to VS1:

1.25 carat: $8,380
AGS Ideal 0
color I
Clarity: VS1
Polish/Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: medium to thick
Flour: negligible
62% depth, 54% table, 34.8° crown angle, 40.7° pavilion angle = HCA score 1.2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS1 is overkill unless you like the idea of knowing your stone is very clean - VS2 should be clean to most people's requirements in this size range. No need to pay for unnecessarily high clarity unless it is a mind-clean thing for you

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Novice22|1303955101|2906713 said:
Another option I found on BN, upgrading to VS1:

1.25 carat: $8,380
AGS Ideal 0
color I
Clarity: VS1
Polish/Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: medium to thick
Flour: negligible
62% depth, 54% table, 34.8° crown angle, 40.7° pavilion angle = HCA score 1.2

that one looks like a good choice, as yssie said VS1 is not necessary for eye-cleanliness

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1303955341|2906715 said:
VS1 is overkill unless you like the idea of knowing your stone is very clean - VS2 should be clean to most people's requirements in this size range. No need to pay for unnecessarily high clarity unless it is a mind-clean thing for you

This is also my opinion, though the stone most likely is a nice looking one from the angles.

BN will inspect the stones, but I thought only their signature stones? In the past there have been mixed reports here on PS about the accuracy of those reports, but I have not seen recent reports from consumers. If you like BN I think it is worth asking about the Stone 5 you first mentioned.

As to other vendors, there are a few on PS that have very good reputations and I feel confident recommending them. Consumers such as yourself can also do a search on PS for the particular vendor and find many testimonials from other consumers, which is also good. BN is a verygood vendor with a generous return policy. For *me* I am not yet confident enough in their verbal assessments of a stone's eye-clean status, and with not pictures or other tools available it is not optimal for me. But they have a very good return period for you to inspect the stone, which is some compensation.

The other vendors mentioned here in this thread all have excellent reputations on PS.

Novice22

Rough_Rock
It's actually in the same price range (~100$) as the VS2s and within .01 carats so I'm not going out of my way to go to VS1, just happened!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Novice22|1303956002|2906725 said:
It's actually in the same price range (~100$) as the VS2s and within .01 carats so I'm not going out of my way to go to VS1, just happened!

The move from VS2 to VS1 is less costly in the I/J color range than it is at higher levels.

I think I would keep the VS1 on my list and then call JA and reserve this one and ask their gemologist to tell you about its eye clean status because it is a fair bit bigger than the I VS1 you just linked: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1353904.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131 Then you will have two options. I believe JA now has a 60 day return perios, free returns, free shipping etc. Makes it very risk free.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results