shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me look this round diamond.

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
thanks in advance. so from some of the info i was able to gather about a round diamond. a 1.5ct diamond should be around 7.5mm? diameter. the table should be around 53-59?, the depth should be around 59-63?.

the diamond i inquired about is 1.54 carat I/VS2. dimensions are 7.52x7.59x4.46, cut is very good. i plugged the numbers into the hca and it gave me a .9 rating. in the GIA diagram, it shows cloud, feather, chip, & extra facet. should i also be worried about very thin girldles? heres a copy of the report. **edited by moderator.please upload to forum directly to avoid broken links** . the price they said is $12,699 which i think is kind of high. i think they're open to bargaining.

i absolutely know nothing about diamonds. i'm probably not going to end up buying this but i wanted to get some info for what i should be looking for.

another option they gave me was this one http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=2101903908&weight=1.52

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would want to see an idealscope image of these stones before committing. With Good symm grade, HCA might not be applicable.

At VS2 level, inclusions should be nothing to worry about as long as they are eye-clean.

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
i didnt even notice the symmetry and polish. i've usually been looking at very good or excellent.

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1310764650|2969931 said:
If you are open to buying online, these 3 could work.

Check with JA to see if they are eye-clean and request for idealscope image. Also request for the AGS report for the AGS stone.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1389969.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1384386.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1370487.asp

what does it mean when the report additional clouds are not shown & surface graining is not shown?

Thank you!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
epgoldie|1310766344|2969955 said:
what does it mean when the report additional clouds are not shown & surface graining is not shown?

Thank you!

That there are smaller scattering of clouds and surface graining inclusions types that are not drawn on the inclusion map. Since these are not grade setting, they will be at worse a VS2 clarity grade level inclusions.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
1st stone, too shallow in the pavilion, probably will have obstruction issue.

2nd and 3rd stone, slightly iffy from the numbers, could work or not, depends on the actual numbers which is fudge due to the averaging and rounding of numbers by GIA. Will require idealscope image but Abazias will not be able to provide those, so not really safe choice.

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1310768826|2969989 said:
1st stone, too shallow in the pavilion, probably will have obstruction issue.

2nd and 3rd stone, slightly iffy from the numbers, could work or not, depends on the actual numbers which is fudge due to the averaging and rounding of numbers by GIA. Will require idealscope image but Abazias will not be able to provide those, so not really safe choice.

what range should i be looking for in the pavilion? thanks for the all the help.

so stay away from abazias? how about solomon brothers? http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Dial....rapnet.com/userfolders/25333/Certs/N6665.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same thing with SB, no idealscope image. Same stone.

Generally try not to go below 40.6, with a 34.5 crown angle, shallower crown angle, will require steeper pavilion angle. This is for obstruction issue, if the stone is not going to be used as a ring stone, then the criteria is relax slightly.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The larger stone is the safer bet but both could work from the numbers, depends on how the numbers are rounded. Can you see them side by side in as many different lighting conditions as possible and see which you prefer?

Since the internal graining is not the grade setting inclusions, should not be something to worry about.

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
thanks so much for your help again. last questions, so if my crown angle was 36, i would want a pavilion angle lower than 40.6? and the opposite if the crown angle was 34, i would want pavilion angle higher than 40.6?

or is 36 too high of a crown angle?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Roughly the idea but in reality more because as the PA decreases, judging by numbers are more iffy as obstruction issue can pop up or reduce due to exact faceting relationship and orientation, and averaging and rounding of the numbers erases all this data. Idealscope image will be more useful.

Crown angle higher than 36 is possible, really depends on craftmanship then and the stone will probably have better fire performance but will be smaller in the diameter compared to similar carat size stone as a higher crown will take up greater proportion of the total weight than a more balance cut.

epgoldie

Rough_Rock
so i've narrowed it down to that 1.39 and the 1.51 from before. i wont be able to see the 1.51 till tuesday though so hopefully the 1.39 doesnt sell since they cant hold it. based on the certificate and price. which one is the better buy? thanks for answering all my questions. i really appreciate it.

1.39 for 9800
1.51 for 10500

http://www.diamondselections.com/GetCertificate.aspx?DiamondID=31458902

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on which is eye-clean. I would get the eye-clean one.

There is a large $/carat jump at the 1.5c mark, so stones under that mark is usually a good buy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results