shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find an antique pear?

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

I am looking for an antique pear diamond to put in a ring. I have been wanting to do this for several years, and I actually bought a small .44 ct old cut pear back in 2014, but I never set it because it was too small.

My budget is $3-4k. I would like to hit above one carat, and I know I will need to get a lower color and clarity in order to do that. I’m really pretty flexible with color and clarity. I am more concerned about getting a diamond with the big, broad facets all over and having a big, open culet.

I’ve reached out to several vendors already and am still talking to some of them. There is one option I have been considering. I posted a WTB thread already and have gotten some help there.

If you know of anything already listed and available for sale or even somewhere I can go look, please share.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I can't remember if Ivy and Rose was mentioned in your other thread, but they do get vintage stones in. They may also be able to help you look for something.

Jewels by Grace is going to be another option which I think was already mentioned, but her pricing is going to be more than Ivy and Rose.

I know that you are already in contact with Premier.

Another option is asking Sako of Cicada to source it for you. He typically makes settings as well. He may have inventory that he has not posted online and if you give him the budget he may be willing to try to see what he can find. Full disclosure, I am a long standing customer of his.

I have purchased from the others as well, but not as much.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I can't remember if Ivy and Rose was mentioned in your other thread, but they do get vintage stones in. They may also be able to help you look for something.

Jewels by Grace is going to be another option which I think was already mentioned, but her pricing is going to be more than Ivy and Rose.

I know that you are already in contact with Premier.

Another option is asking Sako of Cicada to source it for you. He typically makes settings as well. He may have inventory that he has not posted online and if you give him the budget he may be willing to try to see what he can find. Full disclosure, I am a long standing customer of his.

I have purchased from the others as well, but not as much.

Thanks for the ideas!
I have spoken with each of the vendors you mentioned at least once. My original engagement ring is by Ivy and Rose. I have stayed in touch with Ilya over the years. I emailed to ask if they might have anything else besides what’s listed on their site (I had already looked) and a female answered the email and provided a link to their website which showed all the search results if you type in “pear.” That was it. I really got a vibe from her like she wasn’t looking to work with me at all. It’s been six months, so I can try reaching out to Ilya again.

I spoke to Grace over the summer and reached back out to her again last week. She’ll get back to me soon.

Premier provided me a couple of videos but the videos weren’t very good. From what I could tell, the stones weren’t what I wanted. I haven’t responded because for some reason I am uncomfortable.

and CJsako, I have told him what I am looking for but he hasn’t ever offered anything. He seems nice, though.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Have you specifically asked anyone to source you a stone? I mentioned that because it's one thing to be pulling from the inventory but it's another thing to ask for them to specifically source. A lot of times they are willing to do that as long as you put down a deposit and give firm parameters. Just a thought that might help, because finding antique pears can be hard.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Have you specifically asked anyone to source you a stone? I mentioned that because it's one thing to be pulling from the inventory but it's another thing to ask for them to specifically source. A lot of times they are willing to do that as long as you put down a deposit and give firm parameters. Just a thought that might help, because finding antique pears can be hard.

From the vendors we’re discussing, no. I have asked a couple of others to help me find a stone, but they never asked for a deposit. I worry about putting down a deposit and then not liking any of the choices I am presented with.

How's this one? It has bigger facets and a culet! It's less than 1 ct though.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
If you spoke to Sarah at Ivy and Rose, I’d reach out to Ilya directly.

I think asking someone to source you a stone will spark a different attitude, if that makes sense. People probably get many half hearted inquiries daily.

Id also reach out to Adam at Old world diamonds and Alex Park at Parks Fine Group on instagram

also found this one:

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I’m going to see about this one! It’s great.

How's this one? It has bigger facets and a culet! It's less than 1 ct though.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
If you spoke to Sarah at Ivy and Rose, I’d reach out to Ilya directly.

I think asking someone to source you a stone will spark a different attitude, if that makes sense. People probably get many half hearted inquiries daily.

Id also reach out to Adam at Old world diamonds and Alex Park at Parks Fine Group on instagram

also found this one:

I asked about the ring you posted and the vendor was weird about it. She basically blew me off, but after reading her other posts about the ring I think she unset the diamond and sold it in a pendant.

I emailed Ilya directly and Sarah replied. Also I replied to a story a few days ago letting him know that I have been looking for an old cut pear diamond for months.

I have been in touch with Adam and Alex both. Adam sold me a pear diamond that I returned. He says that they don’t have anything at this time.

I believe that your advice about asking a vendor to source a diamond is the way to go. I’ve started talking to Dolly and hope to work with her.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked about the ring you posted and the vendor was weird about it. She basically blew me off, but after reading her other posts about the ring I think she unset the diamond and sold it in a pendant.

I emailed Ilya directly and Sarah replied. Also I replied to a story a few days ago letting him know that I have been looking for an old cut pear diamond for months.

I have been in touch with Adam and Alex both. Adam sold me a pear diamond that I returned. He says that they don’t have anything at this time.

I believe that your advice about asking a vendor to source a diamond is the way to go. I’ve started talking to Dolly and hope to work with her.

daintyG, I"m going to see Ilya in a few hours to pick up my sapphire ring. I can ask him if there's anything "in the back" that's not posted. I'll be talking directly to him so the question won't go through Sarah.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

That all sounds frustrating, I am sorry nothing has turned up. I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

I assume you have contacted Grace too? Sorry I have lost track - I imagine reaching out to SO many vendors isn't fun.

Dolly is VERY nice and helpful and has a god eye IMO. I have never bought from her but she has been very patient when I asked a lot of questions about an item that I didn't buy. I hope she can source something perfect for you!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
daintyG, I"m going to see Ilya in a few hours to pick up my sapphire ring. I can ask him if there's anything "in the back" that's not posted. I'll be talking directly to him so the question won't go through Sarah.

Yes, please! Thank you!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
That all sounds frustrating, I am sorry nothing has turned up. I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

I assume you have contacted Grace too? Sorry I have lost track - I imagine reaching out to SO many vendors isn't fun.

Dolly is VERY nice and helpful and has a god eye IMO. I have never bought from her but she has been very patient when I asked a lot of questions about an item that I didn't buy. I hope she can source something perfect for you!

Yes, I have asked a few times across several months to a year. Grace offered me a pear with every inclusion in the book. Chips, indented natural, cavity, etc. She has not offered me anything else, but I have followed up a few times.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have asked a few times across several months to a year. Grace offered me a pear with every inclusion in the book. Chips, indented natural, cavity, etc. She has not offered me anything else, but I have followed up a few times.

Despite being a former customer, she has been flakey with communication with me, so I wouldn't take it personally. I think she gets overhwelmed w communications and takes a lot of prodding to get a reply

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Despite being a former customer, she has been flakey with communication with me, so I wouldn't take it personally. I think she gets overhwelmed w communications and takes a lot of prodding to get a reply

Yes. I agree. I have purchased from her before, too. She eventually gets back to me every time to tell me she doesn't have anything else or to offer me the one diamond. Sometimes her communications person responds instead. I haven't totally given up on all the vendors, but I have asked several of them multiple times and I get the impression that they're tired of me and they don't have anything. But Dolly and two other Instagram sellers have been more responsive and helpful. Dolly bought me a pear that Alex was selling. She will follow up soon with videos or pictures for me. I hope it's the one and I can move on to figuring out how to set it. If not, I can still work with Dolly or even some of these other IG people I have found recently.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I agree. I have purchased from her before, too. She eventually gets back to me every time to tell me she doesn't have anything else or to offer me the one diamond. Sometimes her communications person responds instead. I haven't totally given up on all the vendors, but I have asked several of them multiple times and I get the impression that they're tired of me and they don't have anything. But Dolly and two other Instagram sellers have been more responsive and helpful. Dolly bought me a pear that Alex was selling. She will follow up soon with videos or pictures for me. I hope it's the one and I can move on to figuring out how to set it. If not, I can still work with Dolly or even some of these other IG people I have found recently.

Oooh keep us posted on the pear Dolly got! Fingers crossed it is what you are after!

Fingers and toes crossed this is the one for you, @daintyG!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh DaintyG... I have failed you miserably... :nono:

I got all wrapped up in looking at an OEC for another PSer and I totally forgot about your pear. I'm SO sorry. I'll be back there in a week or so when my emerald is in so I can look at side stones and if you are still on the hunt I PROMISE I will ask.

Dee hangs head in shame.

(Senility at 50 is a terrible thing!)

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Oh DaintyG... I have failed you miserably... :nono:

I got all wrapped up in looking at an OEC for another PSer and I totally forgot about your pear. I'm SO sorry. I'll be back there in a week or so when my emerald is in so I can look at side stones and if you are still on the hunt I PROMISE I will ask.

Dee hangs head in shame.

(Senility at 50 is a terrible thing!)

Awww! You’re not senile! If you remember next time, that is a very thoughtful favor. If you don’t, then that’s ok, too! I have something in the works right now, and it might work out!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Okay so Alex Parks is about to post some antique pears on Instagram...his stones go within minutes so I’d turn on your notifications and maybe check religiously...

let the first video play through - it looks like there are two!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Okay so Alex Parks is about to post some antique pears on Instagram...his stones go within minutes so I’d turn on your notifications and maybe check religiously...

let the first video play through - it looks like there are two!

Ooh!! I’ve got notifications on!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ooh!! I’ve got notifications on!

It looks like one sold, and wasn’t a true antique (not sure if you mind)... it was a D and over budget...watch like a hawk!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like one sold, and wasn’t a true antique (not sure if you mind)... it was a D and over budget...watch like a hawk!

I saw both of them when they went up for sale. I am hanging back because, for now, I think I prefer the diamond that Dolly has gotten for me through Alex. I'm going to wait for the videos and pictures to come in. But I have seen one video of it and feel hopeful for it. If I was able to get onto Insta at work, I would give you the link for it! It's a .96 K that Alex had posted a few days ago. When Dolly gets it, my first question is going to be about the depth. Alex called it "spready," and I don't want something that is super shallow. I will follow up when I know more. :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I saw both of them when they went up for sale. I am hanging back because, for now, I think I prefer the diamond that Dolly has gotten for me through Alex. I'm going to wait for the videos and pictures to come in. But I have seen one video of it and feel hopeful for it. If I was able to get onto Insta at work, I would give you the link for it! It's a .96 K that Alex had posted a few days ago. When Dolly gets it, my first question is going to be about the depth. Alex called it "spready," and I don't want something that is super shallow. I will follow up when I know more. :)

Excited to see updates! I am glad so far you are liking the one Dolly nabbed for you!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh it's certainly shallow but I think it is really pretty - love the chubby facets! That is my ideal faceting in antique pears

Chubby facets and a big open culet is important, so I am happy with that.

I wonder how much the lack of depth in the diamond will impact the diamond’s light performance. I don’t have measurements for it yet, but I don’t know what depth range I should aim for.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Chubby facets and a big open culet is important, so I am happy with that.

I wonder how much the lack of depth in the diamond will impact the diamond’s light performance. I don’t have measurements for it yet, but I don’t know what depth range I should aim for.

Honestly - have no clue. I think you might have to buy with your eyes more than measurements with a fancy cut like a pear.

I hope other cut experts chime in!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results