carat
color
clarity

Please help me find a ring semi mount

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For my 8mm by 6mm moonstone.

18k yellow gold, and I want no halos, but yes to split shank.

Thank you so much I'm having such a headache finding something! Never brought a semi mount before.

screenshot_70.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you wanting to buy used? Or just looking for a setting in general

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys. No diamonds Niel and also don't want any custom work. Just want something quick and relatively affordable... and easy!

The stuller site seems a bit complicated to navigate

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a couple Stuller (non-diamond) split-shank solitaire settings:
http://www.stuller.com/products/70549/?groupId=35307
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/71741/11351651/?groupId=122549

Here are a few more Stuller options that are suggestive of, but not, split shank:

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/71627/10379972/?groupId=120364
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/71881/12586399/?groupId=194089
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/71840/12385610/?groupId=193302
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122510/11267377/?groupId=122262
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/123131/12656026/?groupId=194386

With an 8x6mm cushion, you can usually go with stock calibrated 8x6mm oval or 8x6 emerald-cut settings; just choose (or have your local jeweler choose) whichever setting version would most closely fit your specific cushion stone.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you marymm

So I clicked the first link n wanted to see the pricing. It asked me to log in but I don't have an account so I went to make 1 and it said they are a wholesaler that only distribute to companies.

So how exactly would I (not a company) buy from Stuller?

I don't actually have a jeweller; I have no idea who I'd ask to set the stone in the mount once I have it in hand I guess I just am not thinking about that part yet and just trying to deal with the finding a semi mount part, first.

So in people's opinions would it be better to go for an oval shape or emerald shape for my cushion?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ right, Stuller (and Adwar) both are jewelry/finding companies that sell to jewelers only. If you're looking for a non-custom setting, many PSers turn to Stuller and Adwar and then have their local jeweler obtain pricing. The mount would be made by Stuller, and then sent to your local jeweler for finish-work and stone-setting.

If you don't have a local jeweler, I've used Michael E of The Gem Shoppe (based in Washington) several times for Stuller/Adwar rings and he does beautiful work. It has been several years so I don't know of his availability/queue status.

Whether an 8x6mm oval or emerald-cut setting would best fit your specific stone I think will depend on the exact setting you choose, since design features of the specific setting may well point to one or the other.

Personally, I've used only oval setting for rectangular cushions and have been happy with the result, but perhaps my cushions have had softer lines which worked better with an oval setting.

I've never used eBay vendors for settings but I guess perhaps that's another option for you... but the stone would still have to be set by someone, either the setting vendor (entailing shipping your stone to the vendor) or a jeweler local to you (?).

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
Theredspinel, just an observation, with the softness of moonstone, I would make sure the corners are protected against chipping. The solitaire mounts don't do that, the ring, that I posted earlier does. For an occasional wear ring, I'm sure the solitaire mounts are adequate, but beautiful items intended for occasional wear, sometimes become regular wear items.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nsmike|1471220278|4066076 said:
Theredspinel, just an observation, with the softness of moonstone, I would make sure the corners are protected against chipping. The solitaire mounts don't do that, the ring, that I posted earlier does. For an occasional wear ring, I'm sure the solitaire mounts are adequate, but beautiful items intended for occasional wear, sometimes become regular wear items.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but based on the 2 photos included in the etsy setting you linked to, it is a basic 4-prong setting, with 4 regular prongs securing the stone. All of the Stuller settings in this thread also have 4 regular prongs securing the center stone. Would you please more particularly describe how/why the etsy 4-prong setting provides more protection than other 4-prong settings? I ask out of genuine interest.

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
marymm|1471221144|4066081 said:
Nsmike|1471220278|4066076 said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but based on the 2 photos included in the etsy setting you linked to, it is a basic 4-prong setting, with 4 regular prongs securing the stone. All of the Stuller settings in this thread also have 4 regular prongs securing the center stone. Would you please more particularly describe how/why the etsy 4-prong setting provides more protection than other 4-prong settings? I ask out of genuine interest.
Your right I was thinking that the corners came up above the stone but the second picture shows that's not the case. With the prongs in the corner you do get some protection. I worked with a former jeweler and inherited some of his bias. He would do insurance appraisals on his mother's shop letterhead for clients. I can still hear him talk about chipped stones that could have been avoided with a different setting. He showed me a ring that had a raised scroll in the corners and prongs in the center. Each corner was protected for about 1/4 of the length of the stone. The scroll on the ring I posted looked similar but I didn't look close enough.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think this catalogue gives a rough guide for what a stuller mount might cost (although not sure how being in the UK factors into finding a stuller mount. Obviously you will still need the jeweler to source it for you, but maybe prices will be a little different?). I really hope this works, had to chop the file in two to upload it :) .

I would have expected you to send it to sally at hearts of water. The last pendant she made for you was so lovely.

Attachments

• mountings_2013-stuller1.pdf
    11.4 MB · Views: 178
  • mountings_2013-stuller2.pdf
    14.7 MB · Views: 72

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you I will take a look at those pdfs in a moment.

Sally definetly is an option and if I could afford to have all my stones custom set (and handmade):I'd definetly use her every time haha. The only reason I am going the semi mount route is due to cost reasons; I'm an addict here (like most of us!) So having a handmade custom ring setting from Sally for this just means 1 more jewellery item for this year (this ring).

If I can find a much cheaper option for this ring (I know I will be compromising on quality but I just want to wear this stone so much) then much higher chance of having 2 jewellery items by the end of the year. It's a contest between having this stone set or buying a pair of earrings from Sallys shop; I want both just as badly.

Next spend will definetly be 1 of the 2.... If I find a decent cheap semi mount I hope to have both items in my greedy hands by the end of the year!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually think this might be my fault -- I now realise the hearts of water settings I was thinking of are silver. Their gold pieces look considerably more expensive.

It is a long shot but maybe browsing mydaimonzone might turn up something, or maybe even one of the setting vendors in the recomended vendor list?

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
Marymm I looked at a Jewellery Dictionary and a lot of semi-mount descriptions I think I can describe what I was thinking better. About twenty five years ago I was shown a ring similar to what I posted but the arabesque scroll instead of being flat was raised and fish tail prongs were incorporated into the scroll. The net effect was that corners were protected. There were an additional two prongs in the middle of the making it a six prong setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results