shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find a reception hall

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soontobemarried

Rough_Rock
I am fairly new to New York and now I am trying to plan a wedding! I have found a Church for my wedding, which is in downtown Brooklyn NY. I now need to find a reception for my wedding. There will be approx 100 guests and I need to keep a tight budget. I plan to get married this august, so I need to find the perfect reception soon. A lot of banquet halls come with an included caterer, does anyone have any pointers on making sure that the caterer is a good one, as if I am paying $100.00 + a head I want my guests to enjoy the food. Or does anyone know of a very nice reception hall that will allow me to bring external caterers?

Also if anyone has been to a wedding in Brookyln and can recommend or de-recommend a banquet hall this would be great too.

Lastly i have also considered getting married in a mansion/out of State hotel as I have a lot guests coming in from overseas and I want to keep the hotel cost down.

As you can see I need a lot of help and little time to do it, any suggestions are sincerely appreciated

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I can help you personally, since I''m in the west coast, but you might want to check some of Melissa Sue''s threads on reception sites, I think she''s around your neck of the woods!

Good luck and keep us updated!!!
1.gif
1.gif

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I live in Brooklyn and am planning a May weddng myself so i''ll be happy to share information with you. However, to get more feedback, i highly recommend that you register on theknot.com and check out the local New York board. There''s a wealth of information there and a lot more people happy to give advise on the local vendors. Anyway, what sort of setting are you looking for? A traditional wedding hall, something different? We''re getting married in a loft in Manhattan and can bring our own caterer. In Brooklyn, the botanic garden is beatiful and for a day wedding may be within your price range. Our caterer is located in Brooklyn also. They''re absolutely terrific to work with and can work with just about any budget. They''re called The Movable Feast, if you want to check them out. They might also give you recommendations on reception venues.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
nah flopkins... i''m in buffalo.. I don''t think they want to drive 9 hours from ceremony to reception.
1.gif
.. but I do have a good friend who is getting married in the Hudson Valley next spring. Its still a good trek from brooklyn, but It looks so beautiful to me and i think the price is reasonable. It may be way too far for you.. but check it out..

www.mohonk.com

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
ms- buffalo, brooklyn....... both started with a B! sigh...... you can call me a silly californian all mixed up and hazy in my cloud of hash... or something! hehe... (just kidding about the hash... but occasionally when you walk around on the street... you do catch a whiff!)
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
Hi I live in NY. Most good reception halls that include the meal will bring you in for a food tasting. I would stay clear of reception halls in Brooklyn especially if you want to self cater. I haven't really seen one that was all that nice. Botanical Gardens is on the expensive side and so is The Brooklyn Museum. There are a few nice places in Long Island like Coral House and Ariana waterfalls that will give you a package deal.

Check out www.ReceptionHalls.com you can give a price range, guest number and if you want to bring in your own caterer or not and it will give you a list of places in whatever mile radius you choose. I found it very helpful.

If you are looking to bring in your own caterer and are not opposed to having the reception in NJ then there is a womans club in Ridgewood that is nice.

Please visit our historic Dutch Colonial Clubhouse
located in beautiful Ridgewood, New Jersey.
The Woman's Club of Ridgewood
215 West Ridgewood Avenue
Ridgewood, NJ 07450
Rental Manager: Betinna Daly
Call (201) 444-5722

The building contains a spacious Ballroom with a stage, brass chandeliers, and graceful 25 foot ceilings. The Ballroom is 65 feet by 40 feet and is large enough to seat up to 200 people comfortably with room for dancing. Twenty 60 inch round tables and 225 chairs are available for use during rental of the building, as are five - six foot and six- eight foot rectangular tables. There is an attractive bride’s room off the Ballroom and a second level balcony as well. A lovely garden is accessible through French doors in the Ballroom, as well as from the main entrance on Monroe Street.

Pricing includes setup and cleanup by the caterer. Our kitchen is to be used for warming rather than cooking purposes. A $500.00 refundable security deposit is required.

WEDDINGS/BAR-BAT MITZVAH
To assure that your event will be exquisite, our premises will be exclusively yours on your special day. The eight hour contract includes time for setup and cleanup by your caterer. The price includes use of the Ballroom, Living Room, Garden and Kitchen.

Friday: $1500; Overtime charge of $150/hr.
Saturday: $1800; Overtime charge of $175/hr.
Sunday: $1800; Overtime charge of $175/hr.

here is the link
www.homesnnj.com/wc/ridgewood/hall.htm

The knot is good but the set up over there isn't so great. I like the weddingchannel.com. They have loads of information on how to save on your wedding and they have lots of info in the NY section. The board is very straight forward and easy to navigate. Loads of photos too.

heres the link http://boards.weddingchannel.com/index.php

Good luck
35.gif

soontobemarried

Rough_Rock
Dear all, thank you for your comments they have been very helpful. After looking at many reception halls and considering loads of advice, myself and my partner talked about what we really wanted. I was always looking for reception halls with gardens, instead of looking for just a garden. During this day of deep thought and reflection I watched an episode of sex and the city ( my fav show!) and I saw a wedding in the hamptons in a garden, it was beautiful and right there it hit me, I want an outdoor wedding. Ive always loved the nature and parks, maybe because im an earth sign...I dont think my mum will be overly impressed she wants me to have the 5* star, 5 course day,) But I think (with the help of a outdoor wedding planner )that I could turn a garden into an enchanted beautiful wedding that reflects me and my partner. I also have the place for it, my relative has a house in NY surrounded by acres of land!

Does Anyone any suggestions, comments or advice about having an outdoor wedding reception?
17.gif

coco1908

Rough_Rock
Dear Soontobemarried,

I attended a wedding last July in Brooklyn at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden the ceremony was in one of the gardens, the cocktail hour was around the reflecting pond and the reception was inside the Palm House. Every single detail of this wedding was fantastic. I do know that the venue is pricey but it may certainly be worth investigating.

Other locations that I have heard were nice but have not seen are the Grand Prospect Plaza, the Brooklyn Museum and the the Brooklyn Marriott

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I live close to Mohonk......BEAUTIFUL!!!!! (but expensive...I think 200+ $ a person)

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I live in the Hudson Valley but am getting married in Cold Spring (Putnam county) ....about an hour and 1/2 from Brooklyn....really pretty hudson river views, my reception is at Dutchess Manor, I am paying ( with tax) about 115$ per person, which is reasonable compared to today''''s prices and this is a saturday night...it''s cheaper fri and sun.

Greta

Rough_Rock
I went to view the Grand Prospect Hall located downtown Brooklyn. The space is beautiful!! I felt like a princess walking through a palace. They have luminous chandeliers, stunning floral displays, impressive art work and a beautiful antique collection. This location is definitely pleasing to the eye. The space can hold 80-800 people and I heard that you can have butterflies released during the ceremony at your request.You should definitely check them out!

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Mohonk is GORGEOUS.....I wanted to have my reception there but it is kinda far for my guests to drive...actually Mohonk is about 2 hours from Brooklyn...not very convienient,
There are several places in the bronx- Marina Del Ray is very nice...
Then in westchester you have: the fountainhead, Glen Island, Greentree, VIP, Surf Club, among many others...
there is also a ton of places in cold spring/beacon area...that is where I am getting married, it;s about an hour from brooklyn...good luck

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
opps...just realized I responded to this post in march...

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I went to a wedding in Mohonk.... A friend of mine from who lives in Manhattan got married there and had his reception there are as well!! THAT place is absoultely wonderful, beautiful and downright amazing. If I could... I would get married there as well.. but I don''t think my guests are going to travel 4 states for Mohonk!! I LOVE it and it was one of the most beautiful weddings and receptions that I have ever been too... I have some wonderful memories surrounding Mohonk!! (sigh)

soontobemarried

Rough_Rock
Hi, Im assuming you are married now. Im still looking for a venue. The Botanical Gardens is beautiful but very, very expensive.

Where did u get married?

tracy458

Rough_Rock
I live in the Midwest, but as someone who needed to find a place for a specific date, it was a challenge. Don''t discount restaurants. I ended up renting out the dining room of a fabulous place, and I may not end up spending much more than I normally would at a banquet hall. And other places i looked at were even cheaper than the one we chose. And everything is taken care of - no extras and all linens are in place, etc. Many of them have party rooms too - 100 is a good number of people. I wish you the best of luck - enjoy!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
soontobemarried, are you still planning on an August wedding?!?!

soontobemarried

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/13/2005 3:34:54 PM
Author: curlygirl
soontobemarried, are you still planning on an August wedding?!?!
Yes, I am. Crazy I know. I am still looking for a venue! We may end up doing something small this year and something bigger next year.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results