shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buyingsoon

Rough_Rock
Friends,This forum has provided very valuable for me over the last couple of weeks.My last request:
Please help me decide...Stone 1 - H&A, but not certified
AGS Ideal 0
Polish, Symmetry, Proportions: AGS Ideal
1.737 / G / Si1
Flourescence: Medium Blue
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 55.2%
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown Height: 15.7
Pavil Angle: 40.7
Pavil Depth: 42.6
Culet: .1
Girdle: 1%
Cut Advisor: 1.3
Price: $14,500Stone 2
EGL
Polish, Symmetry: Excellent
1.53 / E / Si1
Flourescence: None
Depth: 59.4%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle:
Crown Height: 14
Pavil Angle:
Pavil Depth: 42
Culet: None
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Cut Advisor: 0.3
Price: $12,600
I have both of them in my possession and they both look great in terms of brilliance. When I look into them from the top, Stone 1 shows more clearly the dark stems of the arrows you would see the special scope. Stone 2, seems to have more light bouncing around in it so it is harder to make out the distinct lines. (I wish I could explain this better). Of course, I get different stories of which is better, again, brilliance wise I don't see much of a difference.
Any advice would be appreciated: which is a better value, does anyone feel that 1.7 is perceivably different from 1.5.Thanks so much for your input.I am returning one tomorrow, and I still can't figure out which one!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tom Tashi is a man I hold in great esteem. He runs Chicago and LA EGL's.
Israel EGL - I recently had a stone sent G SI1 and I doubt it is H or SI2.
Sticking with the AGS is good advice.
Garry H

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Buyingsoon,Tough question
smile.gif
How about visible inclusions?Both seems have great proportions. Their per carat price is almost equal. #1 has AGS0 report that makes its market price higher. #2 has higher color grade and a bit better spread... #2 should be verified since it has EGL report.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I imagine the 1st stone, since it doesn't come with a grading report, just has a Sarin report that notes AGS 0 cut proportions.EGL reports aren't known to be as accurate in their grading as GIA and AGS (though some franchises of EGL are said to be more stringent than others).In either case, you can't be totally sure that you are paying for the color, clarity and fluorescence grading you are buying.You may want to ask the seller to send the stone you think you want to GIA. You can make a deal saying that you will pay his cost for the report if it grades out as he/she is representing it.

buyingsoon

Rough_Rock
My apologies, Stone 1 is certified by GIA, but not a branded H&A (Superbcert, Hearts of Fire,etc.)

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Well, then with stone 1 you are more sure of what you are paying for. Have you been able to see the diamonds in different types of lighting? Be sure that you try natural lighting, sunlight, and even dim lighting. Rockdoc has a trick where you hold the table of the diamond away from you and put a dim light source in front of the table (match?). The diamond that is darkest wins as it has the least light leakage. Hope that helps.
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lawmax,Buyingsoon, I think you've found two nice diamonds and what you will choose is a metter of you taste - color or superior cut. The only thing that bothers me is EGL sertificate...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results