shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE HELP!!! CHANGE OF SETTING!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Team02

Rough_Rock
My fiancee and I fell in love with a beautiful, large H&A round we saw at well-known and frequently referenced NY-area store this past weekend. We chose a setting out and later changed our minds the same day (my fiancee''s ring size is 5 1/2 they had a setting that was slightly bigger than that - their solution was to place tiny bumps at the bottom of the ring - my fiancee later balked at the idea). We called the store and they agreed to change the setting (the stone had been placed in a losse, temporary setting). Since it was getting late, they asked us to follow up with them in the morning.
When I called them in the morning they told me that they had put the bumps in the setting and that the diamond had been fully-set. They also told me that they could still change the setting if we liked. We''re more than a little upset with this "bait and switch" and several other minor incidents that have happened, but we would however like some closure to this matter and want this rock.My fiancee has expressed a lot of concern that the a change of setting now (after the diamond has been fully set), could potentially damage or scratch the diamond and we would never know. Is this possible? Is there any risk whatsoever to a diamond if a setting is changed? Please advise. Any expert opinion would be tremendously appreciated. Also any opinions on reputable 3rd party appraisals for insurance purposes would be very much appreciated.

Team02

Rough_Rock
Got cut-off...

Lastly, I've learned so much from reading this board. I will try to take some decent pics with my antiquated 2.1 megapixel digital camera to post once we get our e-ring. Thank you all!

Best Wishes,
Udaiy

Patty

Ideal_Rock
They should be able to reset the diamond without damaging it. But it sounds like you don't trust this jeweler. You feel like they set the stone in the first setting AFTER you told them not to, right? That it wasn't an innocent mistake? If that IS the case, I'd see what you could do. Do you still want to deal with them? Have you already paid for the diamond and setting?

Team02

Rough_Rock
Thanks for expedited response, Patty. We trust them for the gushing response they've received here at PS. With that said, we don't distrust them either. To be clear, we would be happy overall if the setting issue was rectified (we trust and know we're about to purchase a quality H&A diamond). I've only put a nominal and refundable deposit down, so we really have some sense of flexibility as well. Since I'm going to have them take the diamond out, the 3rd party insurance appraisal should verify that the stone is unmolested. Any recommendations (within metro-NYC or otherwise)? I'm going to approach them about this tomorrow - so any ideas would be much appreciated. Also, is this common practice to get a diamond appraised before paying for it in full?

Best Regards,
Udaiy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results