shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help - 2 questions before we purchase this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wwmnb

Rough_Rock
I need help with 2 issues:

I posted earlier about finding the following stone for $8,600:

1.37 carat, F, VS1,
60.2% depth, 65% table,
no culet, no flourescence,
good polish, very good symmetry
7.18 x 7.25 x 7.34

It is GIA certified with a laser inscription. However, as we all know, GIA does not give the crown and pavillion angles. Is there any chance that this stone could have poor angles? And how do I find out the angles if the jeweler doesn't even know? I plan to take the entire ring to Just Appraisers once it is set, so I'm assuming they can tell me then, but I'm just hoping I won't be unpleasantly surprised.

My other question is about appraising - is it ok for me to wait until the stone is set (in a 4-prong setting) before having it appriased? Can I trust the GIA certificate and the laser etching? It seems that nobody I know took their stone to an independent appraiser, but everything I read tells me I have to! Help!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We took our stone to an independent appraiser, and it was done before it was set. We did it to ensure that we got what we paid for, and to get it GemPrinted. I don't think (could be wrong!) that you can have the stone accurately analyzed for an appraisal after it is set. Chances are the appraiser will ask to have it unset or will not really be able to measure it the way you want seem to want it measured. Crown and pav angles can be determined by the appraiser, so maybe try to get it appraised BEFORE purchase. This way you will know all the info up front before plunking down the credit card. Also as you note, since a GIA cert does not have this info, if your jeweler does not have it, the only simple way might be to just have your appraiser do it for you before purchase (or afterwards with a good return policy just in case).

Some of the experts could probably weigh in on the stone you mentioned, but the first thing that pops out at me is ..WHAT A LARGE TABLE YOU HAVE!! :) 65% is a very large table. Also in the dimensions you list, I assume you meant the depth to be 4.34 and not 7.34? :cheeky:.

Ran a quick search on Pricescope (I love saying that!!) as I munched on lunch, using 'crown and pav' angle search for cut quality, and found the following two options..similar to the color/clarity/price you mention above but IDEAL cuts with EXCELLENT HCA scores. The first one is slightly smaller for a very similar price. The second is the size of your original stone, but $800 more.

1.261 carats, F, VS2
HCA: .9 EXCELLENT (EX/EX/EX/VG)
Depth: 61%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.3
Pav Angle: 40.8
AGS 0 Ideal Certification
Culet: None
Symmetry: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Price: $8535 at NiceIce.Com

1.38 carat, F, VS2
HCA: 1-EXCELLENT (EX/EX/EX/VG)
Depth: 61%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.1
Pav Angle: 40.9
GIA Certification
Vulet: None
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Fluor: No
Price: $9415 at NiceIce.Com

These are just two examples of other items out there for you to use as comparisons. Hope this helps somewhat and that others weigh in with their thoughts as well.

Best of luck! :)

wwmnb

Rough_Rock
Oh my god, can you tell it's been a long day at work? I just corrected the numbers. The table is 55%, not 65%. And yes, I meant 4.34. :loopy: Sorry about that! And thanks for your input!

wwmnb

Rough_Rock
Hey, why won't it let me edit my post? I'm trying to change it to 55 table% and 4.34 on the height measurement, but it keeps switching back. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results