shape
carat
color
clarity

Please critique this stone! Help appreciated.

jtabw

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I've been lurking here for awhile and have learned a great deal. I probably would have overpaid for a poor performing stone at some mall without you guys. =) Anyhow, I'm about to pull the trigger on this for my girl for the big day and I need some feedback on why this is a good idea / terrible idea run immediately situation. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2424952.htm

Few points:
1) The HCA is 1.7 according to the AGS, but 2.4 according to the Sarin measurements. This is kind of troubling since the cutoff I learned is to be <2. Also, even with the AGS measurements, HCA says light performance is only "very good."

2) The per carat price seems a little low for a 1.2 ct, G / VS1 stone so I'm wondering if there are things I'm missing out on. How can this diamond be cheaper than many smaller stones and worse clarity ones? Is it something about the ASET/IS images that I'm missing? The images don't seem bad to my untrained eyes.

3) This has been around since at least September 2010 (date on the AGS report). Believing in free markets, if this is a good buy then why hasn't it sold already? Many stones from 1+ year old on WF have some poor IS images.

4) Are there particular setting types that go well with a stone like this? (Slightly larger crown angle for example). I'm thinking sleek line + legato?

Thanks!!! :appl: :appl:

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
It might be a trade-in that someone gave back in order to upgrade. I would ask your rep at WF (if you don't have one, I've had a nice experience with Sheerah). That would explain the lower price and older certification date.

You don't really need to do the HCA with an AGS 000 stone. So don't worry about those discrepancies. An expert select is a fabulous choice, it just means it didn't quite make the cut in terms of having H&A like an ACA. You won't be able to tell the difference with your naked eye.

Looks like a fabulous stone, your girl will love it I'm sure!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you don't use the HCA with AGS stones. It has been evaluated for light performance by AGS. I think it is a great buy. I don't even think I'd ask the history of the stone. Either it hasn't sold because it is a relatively high color and clarity (my personal favorite!) or it could have been traded in. Stones are sold back to suppliers all the time, so we never know if the stones we buy have been worn before unless we know they have been newly cut. I wouldn't give that a second thought!

jtabw

Rough_Rock
Thanks, you guys the best. I probably won't ask about the history then, since there is no reason to purposely try to find out flaws in the diamond that I won't end up seeing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree! Good luck to you and please come back with pictures of the finished ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results