shape
carat
color
clarity

Please advise

BennYoga

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I am about to post this review on social media but before I do that, I would like your input. Thank you in advance!

Back on December 26th of 2017, I went to Fitzgerald Auto Mall to trade in my 2016 Subaru Impreza for a 2018 Mazda CX 3. Four weeks later, I received an email from their financing department asking for proof of residence in order for their bank to fund the deal. Apparently, they got my SSN and DL but for some reason, they needed my green card. I was slightly bothered by this request, as this was not my first time buying a car! I told them that I was unable to find my green card and that I was feeling very uncomfortable about sharing my personal information. After exchanging a few emails back and forth, and feeling very frustrated with the whole situation, they sent me a link to the United States Citizen and Immigration Services just so I can find the details of my residence and share with them a screenshot. After that, I found myself in a pretty embarrassing situation and told them that I was never expecting that the purchase of a car would be this much stress.

On January 25th, I got a phone call from Josh Gillions, one of the sales managers. He explained that the bank needs a copy of my green card and that I need to provide them with this information. I once again explained that they had all the information I could provide and that I was under the impression that at some locations people can buy a car with a just tax ID and DL. He gave me three options: 1) Come over and pay off the balance of the car. 2) Provide them a form of proof of residence 3) Come over and pick up my old car which still sitting in their lot and loses some equity. He advised me that he did not want me to keep driving his car around until this issue was resolved. At that point, I told him that I there was no need for me to keep dealing with this situation as I had previously purchased three cars from Shockley Honda and a brand new Subaru from the Ford Motor Company without any issues. He then said:

“Oh, I don’t think you have that status. Do you have something to hide?”

Imagine my reaction! My only response was “Wow, so now you’re an immigration officer?

He kept interrogating me and asking if I had something to hide. My only response was to continue to ask “Are you an immigration officer?”.

I could not believe I was on the phone with their “Sales Manager” and told him that I no longer wanted to do business with him or his dealership. And that I would bring “his” car back and get mine back.

I felt sick! No one ever questioned my immigration status or treated me and my business with such disrespect before.

The next day, I came to the dealership to meet up with June Rutkay, their general manager. I told about how terrible this experience had been and that I no longer wanted to do business with them. That I would prefer my car back and take my business somewhere else. I mentioned that doing business with a dealership that discriminates against certain customers and calls them “illegal” is something that I would not support or care to deal with. The only options she gave me was to buy my old car back from them for an extra $2,000 more for what they paid to the bank that I got it financed through, or to keep the Mazda as they found a bank that did not require a green card. I had no choice but to keep the Mazda as all I wanted was to this nightmare to end.

I know banks require additional information for them to approve a loan, but this was the worst experience I had while buying a car. In fact, the same bank financed the first car I bought at Shockley Honda.

I really hope now to bring this issues to light so that nobody else who buys from Fitzgerald Automall will have the same experience. I feel they should be especially sensitive to this sort of issue as the Frederick area has a large immigrant and Hispanic population. I’d like to think most of my friends and neighbors would stand behind people that come here to make a difference. If you are looking for a car, I would advise you think twice about buying from someone that would allow personal feelings to cause him to go beyond the duties and scope of his position, and to make an honest and upstanding member of the community regret doing business with him and his company.

Q

Queenie60

I would suggest you contact your local "Better Business Bureau" - good luck to you. Hope you can resolve this.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BennYoga, it appears the dealership didn't handle this issue well at all, & I'm sorry you had to go through this situation.

Please keep in mind, the bank is the one who is insisting one residency info, not the dealership. The dealership is only parroting what the bank says is required, in order to fund your purchase. You do not need to demonstrate residency to purchase a vehicle. Altho if you are financing a vehicle, a bank may require it.

And even if the bank previously had not required residency info with a sale, fast forward a few years & perhaps today their stipulations have changed. Bottomline: the bank calls the shots as to what is needed to fund the deal, and the dealership has to meet those needs in order to complete the purchase.

The SM did an absolutely horrible job on the phone--never a way to treat someone! Sorry you had to experience it!

I hope you love your new Mazda!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry about your experience with the sales manager that was just wrong.

I surprised they found a bank to take the loan without it.
A friend of mine who as been a green card holder for decades and had many loans over the years with that bank for the first time they wanted a copy of his green card.
He called around and was told that it was standard practice now by 4 other banks and they would not make a loan without it.
That was around 3 years ago.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dont know anything about green card stuff , but i do know if you needed it for the loan that should have been disclosed at the time of purchase!

How rude of them!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a legal point of view they should NEVER have let you drive out with their car unless everything was approved, so seek legal advise you should be able to get your car back without having to pay them any fees and charges because allowing you to take the car out the door without the required paperwork fully completed IMHO is their error.

They may in fact these days need to see that you are a legal citizen to complete a bank loan - that isn't the issue it is the way they handled it that is the issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results