shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs. White Gold Bezel? Please help!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All- I need advice! I am considering purchasing this ring: 18K RG with a WG bezel. I've only ever worn Platinum jewelry for it's durability, weight and lack of discoloration. Would a Platinum bezel make much of a difference in regards to durability, security of stone etc.
I look forward to your opinions! :angel:

r5822-pink-diamond-gold-asscher-ring-b.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Any opinions out there? :think:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it... did they post any hand shots? That is always helpful too.

I'm not sure about your questions... all my rings are platinum.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Handshot

_26000.jpg

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Mayk|1421180992|3815888 said:
I like it... did they post any hand shots? That is always helpful too.

I'm not sure about your questions... all my rings are platinum.[/quote

Thank you Mayk for your reply! All of my rings are Platinum as well which is why I'm questioning whether it will bother me somewhere down the road that I didn't get the Platinum bezel. But then again- my ER has a single Platinum bezel and it is not without small nicks & dings.

The ring would be for a special occasion: Our 20th wedding anniversary. I emailed DBL on Sunday to find out the possibility of recreating this ring with a Platinum bezel and I'm patiently waiting for a response.

I've been pouring over every Asscher thread on PS and going back and looking at the stats on this ring.. taking into account the double halo and the effect that has on the appearance of the stone. I guess any thoughts/advice on the metal question and ring overall would be greatly appreciated! :angel:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I have an E-W set EC in the Sholdt 18k WG semi-bezel. I received it 10-12 & it still looks brand new with almost daily wear. I see no problem with a WG bezel. I also have three platinum rings, one of which is my 1.7ct five stone. I wear it 4 times per week on average & it has developed a patina. I don't mind that for this style of ring but it would bother me if my bezel looked like that.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Woofmama, thanks for your input! Just for clarification, you wouldn't want the Platinum patina look on a bezel? Just curious as to why. Does WG age/wear differently? I'm not that familiar with WG and how it looks over time. Thanks!

akoya

Shiny_Rock
In Asia, people normally use 18K White Gold and there isnt any problems with 18k gold settings.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring! I would be fine with a wg bezel, but over time it might develop a bit of a yellow tinge and need to be rhodium plated, and I'm not sure if that's possible with part of the ring being a different metal. I think it might be, but you might want to ask David about that. I find my wg pieces stay white for a long time, but others on PS have had different experiences. It's my understanding wg very slowly wears away over time as opposed to platinum, but it takes many years for that to happen. If platinum, I wouldn't want the bezel to develop a patina but that's just personal preference, and the bezel could always be polished to maintain the shine. I own both metals, and both develop scratches over time, but it's usually at the bottom of the ring.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
westjenn|1421248048|3816223 said:
Woofmama, thanks for your input! Just for clarification, you wouldn't want the Platinum patina look on a bezel? Just curious as to why. Does WG age/wear differently? I'm not that familiar with WG and how it looks over time. Thanks!

Not having seen patina on a bezel I can't say that I wouldn't like it for sure, but what I love about my ring is the liquid metal look which is a hallmark of the Sholdt settings. My ring is scratch free and has maintained the brand new look. The bezel is very sleek looking so I prefer the shiny/brand new look.
One of the downsides of WG is the need for replating, but in my experience I haven't needed to have that done.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Ah I see. Very helpful info!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results