shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum vs Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dobie

Rough_Rock
It''s my understanding that platinum is heavier than gold. For the same setting, how much heavier is 950 platinum compared to 10K, 14K, 18K, etc? What are the cost differences?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum is REALLY high now probably because of demand. It''s about 4x as heavy, I think even heavier. But feels like nothing on. I think it''s the best metal for jewelry myself.

GOld is reallylight and a lot softer and depending how low karat you go, its harder and less "bright".

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
When I was choosing the solitaire setting for my girl''s e-ring, I was deciding btw plat and white gold. I could barely feel the white gold at all (weight wise). Plat felt like something substantial. Since we actually have the same ring size, I tried on her ring and you can''t feel either one really.

Costwise, the simple solitaire would have cost me around $30 for the white gold setting and $300 for the platinum setting.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
$30?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, quoted $30-45 for various simple solitaire settings in white gold.

My fiance's family has a friend who's a jeweler and he quoted the same thing. I just didn't get from him cuz while his prices are cheap, I don't like the quality of his work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results