shape
carat
color
clarity

Plastic surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if I could ever go under the knife-I''d like to have a lift in the boob department later in life but in terms of actually doing it, not sure if I could go through it.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
The only work I would consider is reduction, but the pain, recovery and scarring is worse than enlargement. Lots of my friends will joke and say ''I want some of what you have'', but boy, carrying the twins around, bra shopping and clothes shopping is no picnic at this size.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I seriously considered it about 5 years ago and had the consultation. Unfortunately, I didn''t meet the qualifications for it to be covered by insurance as medically necessary- they did the bone frame measuring with the calipers and my build can support the boobs (no back pain, no shoulder join problems, no bra scarring) I''m hoping I can afford it when I''m 50-60. They will not be pretty by then and I don''t want to go into old age tripping over them.

If I were really into the idea, I''d get lipo. No matter how much I work out, well I eat, sports I''m into, I CAN NOT get rid of some midsection pudge. Drives me batty. Otherwise, I''m good. Of course talk to DH and he thinks the twins and the ghetto booty are great!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

"Plastic Surgery" constitutes a vast field. I am assuming you are referring to elective cosmetic surgery. In that context, I have no issue with consenting to a procedure given I am fully informed. Nor do I have issues with others who do the same.

cheers--Sharon

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I say if you want it, then do it. To each their own. So I am probably in the minority here...
My only concern is being put under. Down here in Fl there is a big story right now about an 18 yr old who went under for a boob job and died bc of complications from the anesthetic. Very sad, but also very rare. One thing people don''t realize is that you don''t always have to go under, many times twilight wil do the trick...
emwink.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure lots of my body parts need lifting, nipping and tucking, but since they don''t bother me, I won''t bother them
9.gif

This trait, however, is not genetic. Our DD always told us she she wanted her tatas enlarged when she was a teenager. I politely informed her that she''d have to find one heck of a well-paying part-time job to be able to afford it. After her daughter was born, she realized that once you have a baby, Mother Nature takes care of that for you.

This past year she had to have a hysterectomy. Already concious of the extra left over from the baby, she booked a tummy tuck within two weeks after her hysterectomy. Already in pain from the first procedure, she really understood pain after the "tuck". She thinks it paid off though as she claims that her tummy has never been flatter
20.gif

She''s a certified accountant so not really in the public eye. Why the big fuss? Oh yes, I forgot the Botox injections every 6 months
20.gif
. She''s always been beautiful (not just a mother''s opinion), but there must be a lack of confidence in there somewhere prodding her on.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah. I''d rather have a sailboat. (this makes sense to my husband)
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t consider any elective surgery or "plasticization"..after seeing Precilla Presley on Dancing with the Stars, I will always appreciate the "au natural" look. Half her face doesn''t move, thanks to botox and lifting, spreading...pulling...she looks like a puppet according to my friends and I! I think she looked much better a few years ago, and would probably look better now,if she allowed herself to age gracefully, and naturally! There are many celebs that I feel look so "created", not natural at all, which is a pity, since they did have that natural beauty at one time! There''s nothing more beautiful than a natural smile, and facial expressions reveal so much about a person, why ruin that? As far as tummy tucks, excess skin from excessive wieght loss, I am all for it...I mean for health reasons, nobody needs excess skin that has no purpose, and just gets in the way. I would never enhance my appearance for the sake of vanity, but if I had health related issues (bad back due to very large chest, needing a reduction for instance), I might consider it, ONLY if it was a health risk, or put me in chronic pain on a daily basis!

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Freke - I am so sorry about what your mom is going through. I''m sending some prayers up for your family.

As to the initial question - at this point I can''t forsee wanting any elective cosmetic procedures. Certainly an accident or a situation like Freke''s with her reduction I consider more in the medically necessary arena than purely elective.

IMO, procedures where general anesthesia is required always need serious consideration. I''ve had 3 surgeries - one elective (exploratory laproscopy to help figure out fertility issues), one urgent, one emergent, and all required general. For me the bar is raised pretty high before I will consider ANY procedure involving sedation.

Last year a clinic wanted to put my 3 yr old under light IV (conscious sedation) for a medical procedure and told us not to give him any food after midnight the night before till the 2pm procedure, which really just required him to sit still for 15 minutes (right - you try starving a 3 yr old whose first words at 6:45am are "I hungry!") I gave him a big breakfast that morning, lunch at noon, brought a video, 3 lollipops, his favorite blanket and stuffed shark to the procedure to keep him from moving around and he was fine without the sedation. As I knew he would be.

I might add that my husband and I are both medical professionals with a lot more education/ experience that the person who told us he would probably need sedation.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
When I was a little kid I broke my nose and they weren't able to set it properly because I was so young. For the next 10 years I had breathing problems and had to deal with having a pretty misshapen schnoz. The summer after Jr. High, they decided that my face had formed to the point where they could actually do something about it, so I had a nose job. They took out a bunch of old scar tissue (I could finally breathe properly through my nose!) and since they had to break it to fix it, they also set it properly. After getting teased about it for the last 10 years, it was a huge relief not to have that stigma anymore. Was it an elective procedure? Yes. If I could go back would I do it again? In a heartbeat. I like being able to breathe.

As far as other plastic surgery, I don't think so. I worked for a breast implant company doing warranty claims for a while after college. After hearing the horror stories of what can go wrong with the implants, I would never get them (not that I need them--the girls are just fine at a 34D). Still, though--if I had a cute little small chest, I would be thrilled! I'd never wear a bra and I would totally rock all those cute tops that are sadly out of reach of the larger-chested. OK, tangent. I can certainly understand the draw of wanting to look younger, etc., but the complications can be so major that I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Although technically, when I had to have tendon surgery on my hand last year, the guy who did it was a plastic surgeon who specialized in hands. That certainly wasn't elective, though. I would never elect to sever three of my tendons.
3.gif

ETA: Freke, I'm totally on board with the boob reduction thing for people who are overly endowed. If the girls are large enough to cause back problems, I'd almost classify that as necessary surgery. And I'm sorry your mom is going through that. *Hugs*

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say, I am somewhat surprised by the adamant "NO elective procedure" comments on here. It just seems presumptuous to make such a broad-sweeping claim without considering why we think it is so wrong. When I was 8, I had a totally elective procedure to correct an ear that stuck out (Dumbo-style). The wonky ear did not affect my health in any way... but WOW am I glad my parents made that decision for me. Yes, because of vanity... but think for a minute: how are we actually defining vanity?

Because I think it's interesting that people are okay with shaving their legs regularly, or using Crest white-strips on their teeth, or wearing push-up bras, or using special lotions to keep their skin nice, or getting their hair cut/colored, or buying fashionable clothes, or using deodorant! Those are not medically-driven choices... they are vanity-driven. So why is it any LESS vain than cosmetic surgery/procedures? Is there a continuum, with a cut-off point somewhere in the middle? Does vain become TOO vain when it involves paying a certain dollar amount? Undergoing anesthesia? Making a change that is permanent, rather than one that requires upkeep?

After all, if we TRULY subscribed to the belief that "natural is always better", we'd be running around bra-less and smelly, wearing burlap sacks with long scraggly hair (from the head, armpits, AND legs), yellow teeth, and bad skin. And we DEFINITELY wouldn't be taking away from our "natural beauty" by wearing pretty diamonds on our fingers......
2.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:08:26 PM
Author: ephemery1
I have to say, I am somewhat surprised by the adamant 'NO elective procedure' comments on here. It just seems presumptuous to make such a broad-sweeping claim without considering why we think it is so wrong. When I was 8, I had a totally elective procedure to correct an ear that stuck out (Dumbo-style). The wonky ear did not affect my health in any way... but WOW am I glad my parents made that decision for me. Yes, because of vanity... but think for a minute: how are we actually defining vanity?

Because I think it's interesting that people are okay with shaving their legs regularly, or using Crest white-strips on their teeth, or wearing push-up bras, or using special lotions to keep their skin nice, or getting their hair cut/colored, or buying fashionable clothes, or using deodorant! Those are not medically-driven choices... they are vanity-driven. So why is it any LESS vain than cosmetic surgery/procedures? Is there a continuum, with a cut-off point somewhere in the middle?

After all, if we TRULY subscribed to the belief that 'natural is always better', we'd be running around bra-less and smelly, wearing burlap sacks with long scraggly hair (from the head, armpits, AND legs), yellow teeth, and bad skin. And we DEFINITELY wouldn't be taking away from our 'natural beauty' by wearing pretty diamonds on our fingers......
2.gif
I think that a lot of people who don't grow up with something noticably abnormal (an ear that sticks out, boobs that are too large for your frame, a misshapen nose, etc.) don't realize the kind of stigma that comes with it. It's easy to say "oh, it's just vanity" without understanding the horrible self-esteem issues that can arise from something like that.

The main thing I've gotten from this thread, though, is that people are worried about the complications that can arise from some of these elective procedures. It's true--they can be dangerous. It seems like most people aren't judging people that do it, though....just saying it's not for them.

ETA: I also realized I've had braces, which is certainly an elective procedure. People don't tend to look down on others for cosmetic dentistry, though, which is odd given the stigma toward cosmetic surgery.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Ephemery, I like you
1.gif
We definitely have to do a Philly GTG sometime.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 10:14:08 PM
Author:nebe
How do you feel about it?
4.gif

Have you had any? Would you or have you considered it? What''chure thoughts?
34.gif

My breasts really need fixing since having my child, I have two completely different looking breasts, lol. For sure this is something that will be done, when I dont know since it will depend on whether or not we have more children. I have pondered getting a tummy tuck or at least lipo on my mid section but before going that route I will get a trainer & really work hard to see how good I can get it looking before taking drastic measures.

To each their own. it''s not business to judge someone who is unhappy with their body for whatever reason & wants to use surgery to fix/enhance.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not for me right now, but perhaps down the road I could see maybe wanting to indulge. I'm petite up top (I can't even make cleavage if I try to), but I think I'll let nature take it's course on this one.

My sister is 27, and has already had her nose done (she had a deviated septum and begged my parents to pay for the cosmetic part to take the lump out of her nose) and she had 360 cc implants a couple of years ago. She's petite, and at 4'10", they almost make her look a little tubby rather than voluptuous. Her implants are definitely the result of low self esteem at the time, poor thing. Now that she's kind of grown into herself, and has matured quite a bit, she somewhat regrets getting the implants.

Seeing as we have nearly the same shape, although I'm nearly 6" taller, I won't say I wouldn't ever have any cosmetic surgery, but the chances are highly unlikely until you can "grow your own".

But my sister has never regretted her nose job. We're all wondering if her baby will end up with the nose she had, since all of the women on my Mom's side (aside from me) got the "Hansen bump".

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:18:43 PM
Author: Octavia
Ephemery, I like you
1.gif
I second that!

To me vanity has many forms, but liking things beautiful is a personal choice, and what constitutes that beauty and what it takes to make that is usually something each person decides. I have friends who wax, and friends who would NEVER. I have friends who have so much plastic, they literally can't frown, and then others who aged so perfectly with not one procedure. What you are given and what you choose to do with your body speaks volumes. It doesn't make you any better to be 100% natural, 50% natural or 10% natural, as long as you are healthy and happy, the rest is just other people's preconceived notions of you, based on their own social stereotypes.

That said, I believe the body is a temple, and should be respected and cared for inside and out. Even if that means on ocassion to have some necessary repairs, without completely redoing it and disrespecting the natural architecture you were given.
31.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well....uh........ 3 of my girlfriends and I are "considering" getting a "little" and I mean "little" botox next year when we turn 60. My dr. does it, in her office. She said she can give us very little around our eyes.

Does this count???? LOL
23.gif

Linda

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:18:43 PM
Author: Octavia
Ephemery, I like you
1.gif
Haha... the feeling is mutual. Plus my best friend''s AIM screenname begins with Octavia, so I had a good feeling about you from the start.
2.gif

I am up for a Philly GTG anytime... my schedule is pretty flexible. Might be nice to wait until the nice weather is here to stay (and my normal appetite returns!) to do something official.... maybe end of April/early May? We''ll have to see what DF and Kaleigh and the other folks think.

In the meantime, I''m still waiting to hear "Ephemery!" from across the square.......
10.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and as far as major plastic surgery goes. forget it. My whole body is already south to the ground. LOL.

Linda

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s purely elective/cosmetic, I''m on the fence. It''s such a personal decision. I''m a woman. Of course I know what it means to be insecure about the way I look. I even seriously contemplated surgery at one point. But I had to ask myself first, "Do I really hate this part of myself so much that I need to surgically alter it?" So far, the answer has always been no. Who knows if that will change after I''ve had children and gravity has started taking it''s toll.

I''ll admit, though, that I have a few friends who''s motives/surgeries I didn''t entirely approve of. I kept my opinions to myself, because it was not my place to say anything, but there are definitely circumstances when I just ask myself, "Why?"

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:41:44 PM
Author: parrot tulips

...I kept my opinions to myself, because it was not my place to say anything, but there are definitely circumstances when I just ask myself, ''Why?''
That''s how I feel about some people''s clothing, hair or make-up choices...

Some people choose to eat special diets and excercise to sculpt their bodies a certain way, and vice versa, some conform their bodies to how they eat. That''s part of their presentation, and sometimes I think going too far in any direction (without surgery) is a personal choice that I often question, "Why?"
Note that we have the ability to non-surgically redo our bodies, and we do so constantly, from weight, to braces, foot binding, neck stretching, piercings, tatoos, etc. What each person finds beautiful is their own business, and it''s a choice we all make. If not, we open ourselves for judgment, and then you can''t complain if someone finds your version of beautiful, NOT beautiful.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:32:16 PM
Author: ephemery1

In the meantime, I''m still waiting to hear ''Ephemery!'' from across the square.......
10.gif
Ha, hubby and I were wandering the Rittenhouse area over the weekend and I thought maybe I would see you
2.gif
But I didn''t! We''re moving... soon... I am so sad. I miss philly already!

Re: plastic surgery. I don''t personally have a problem with it, if that''s what people need to do to feel a bit better about their outward appearance. I certainly would not rule it out for myself in the future either. Personally, I''d be more worried that the surgery would not turn out how I wanted than about anesthesia complications (exceedingly rare).

I do see the other side as well. and I think the disconnect comes with the invasiveness and the risk involved. Certainly there is a much more risk involved in cutting than in dressing yourself in certain clothes, or shaving your legs.

Also, I did want to make a comment about the young lady in Florida. If she had malignant hyperthermia as is believed, this is genetic. Therefore, most often it would be known that she is at risk of developing this complication because someone else in her family would have had it previously. Anesthesiologists rarely see malignant hyperthermia now because people know it is in their family and precautions re: certain drugs can be taken.

And I certainly have no issues w/ someone getting a breast reduction. Especially because I have naturally very small chest, and love it (ok, I wouldn''t mind being a liiittle bigger... but seriously, I''m AA over here.)
3.gif
TMI!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a problem with plastic surgery being used to "normalize" a body - personally, I wouldn''t mind a nose job to smooth out my bump and a little bit of a "hook beak," but it''s not a priority of mine - I would only consider it seriously if I found out that I had breathing issues and needed a procedure in the first place (which I wouldn''t be surprised if I do find that out someday). I don''t think it''s a big deal to make small changes- pin back ears a bit, breast reductions, tummy tucks after extreme weightloss, etc. I''m certainly all for plastic surgery that helps victims of major accidents, people with serious birth defects, etc.

I do have a bit of an issue with things like "Extreme Makeover" - on those shows they often go too far and fix things that weren''t broken. Why lift someone''s brows when all they really needed is an expert to wax and shape them, yanno?

I do have a major problem with breast augmentations - I would never, ever, ever do it nor would I support a friend or family member who wanted to. It''s my understanding that the implant makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to find lumps in the breast. That''s a risk that I don''t think any woman should be willing to take.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
I have had a breast reduction and a nose job ... They both have made me so much more comfortable (inside and out)

If there is something that makes us feel better about ourselves - and improves the quality of life - I say go for it.. I am also very taken back that there is so much negativity towards Plastic Surgery in general. Funny, so many people have procedures performed.

As long as things are done in a natural, pleasing way the results speak for themselves. I have had little things done along the way and it has not changed the way I look, just improved how I look. I look like me,,, just better.

I am in my late 40''s and usually told I look mid 30''s. I also watch my weight and take care of myself. All during child hood I never felt "pretty" ... I am happy with the way I look now and it is not other people'' s place to judge me for what I have done...I am not ashamed - but very happy with my appearance. It does help ones'' out look...when there are no other "issues" involved... meaning you must start with good mental health. I think most people think of the folks that take things to an extreme when they speak negatively..

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 12:53:43 PM
Author: Nicrez

Date: 4/1/2008 12:41:44 PM
Author: parrot tulips

...I kept my opinions to myself, because it was not my place to say anything, but there are definitely circumstances when I just ask myself, ''Why?''
That''s how I feel about some people''s clothing, hair or make-up choices...

Some people choose to eat special diets and excercise to sculpt their bodies a certain way, and vice versa, some conform their bodies to how they eat. That''s part of their presentation, and sometimes I think going too far in any direction (without surgery) is a personal choice that I often question, ''Why?''
Note that we have the ability to non-surgically redo our bodies, and we do so constantly, from weight, to braces, foot binding, neck stretching, piercings, tatoos, etc. What each person finds beautiful is their own business, and it''s a choice we all make. If not, we open ourselves for judgment, and then you can''t complain if someone finds your version of beautiful, NOT beautiful.
Totally agreed. In my logical mind. Wish I could make the rest of my brain agree.
20.gif
But there will always be certain procedures that just get under my skin a little bit, even though other people''s decisions have nothing to do with me.

chizzy1982

Shiny_Rock
I would in a heartbeat have my nose done - I HATE IT. It''s never been broken or been banged into, it''s what i was born with unfortunately. Its straight but long so I have an horrendous profile, and when I smile it just makes it even worse, especially when looking face on so that is a major factor why i don''t like smiling for photos and stuff.

My BF thinks I''m mad and has firmly said "i''m not allowed to have it done", but i suspect he was never subjected to people teasing him about the size of his schnoz!
Is it really awful for a teeny tiny part of me to wish for a small, very minor accident which resulted in a broken nose so would have a "legit" reason to get it fixed?

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2008 5:12:05 PM
Author: chizzy1982

Is it really awful for a teeny tiny part of me to wish for a small, very minor accident which resulted in a broken nose so would have a ''legit'' reason to get it fixed?
I''ve felt the same way. I have a very "indian" nose and one side of the bone has a small bump on it, so my profile is off. It''s not bad enough for me to justify having a nose job outright, but if something happened and I needed it......
11.gif

I also want my breasts done simply because they''re not shaped the way I wish they were. Who knows what will happen years down the road, but I think about it. Maybe after I have children.
5.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
E, I am up for it but will be in St. Barth''s April 29th to May 5th. After that I should be around!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, it was terrible for her. When we were in middle school, she looked liked Dolly Parton. It so happens she is very smart, went to Yale at 16 and was in Yale law at 18, law review, etc, but has a breathy voice and is petite. When we were 12 or 13, she was physically so mature looking that men of all ages would come on to her. She and I would be together and it was freaky. I was about 4 inches taller than her, very thin, not much chest, and she was all boobs. I literally watched men old enough to be our fathers hitting on her, never looking above her chest. It was nasty.

PE was terrible, no running or jumping for her. And once we were about to miss the last bus back to her house and no way, she was not running, so we walked like 4 miles at 10 pm back from Westwood in L.A. after seeing a movie. The pain she dealt with was impossible.

I will say a prayer for your mom.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
Freke , I just read your post about your Mom. I am sorry for what she must be going through. I feel so bad for her and your family.

My prayers are with you

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results