shape
carat
color
clarity

Plastic Bags

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a recent convert to using cloth bags exclusively when I go to the grocery store. I STILL see tons of people, however, leaving the store with carts full of groceries bagged in plastic. I don''t get it...

Do you still use disposable bags? If so, why?

Do you now carry re-usable bags? If so, how many, and what''s your routine? I try to keep at least 3-4 in my car at all times but they don''t always make it back to the car from when I unpack them in the house so I end up buying a new one for $.99-1.99 maybe every month. I''m still working out the kinks in our program!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use foodstore plastic bags instead of buying those bags they sell for dog poop.
So in a way they do get recycled.

Now that I think about it I guess I should buy reusable canvas bags and pick up dog poop in paper bags, which biodegrade.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, that''s a good idea. Our neighborhood has little stands with doggie doo bags but they are plastic and although it''s great to pick up after your dog...then you''re contributing to the landfills! Hmm. I need to think about this one as far as the paper bag thing.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
85% of the time, I use cloth bags. But the other 15% of the time, I forget my bags at home. I reuse the plastic bags for doggie poop. What I get more annoyed with is when I tell the baggers I have my own bags or I''ll just carry my one item out and they throw away[/u] the plastic bag they were going to use for my groceries.
20.gif

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I have two cloth bags that roll up really small that I keep in my purse. I try and throw a couple others in my car at all times. I also always refuse a bag if I''m picking up only a few small things that I can throw in my purse.

I still get plastic bags about 1/3 of the time, we use them to line the waste container for our automatic litter box.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We have cloth bags, but if I'm just running in to grab 1 or 2 things, I'll just throw 'em in plastic. We do reuse those though, I bring my lunch in them, etc.

I'd love to use paper over plastic, but only the expensive grocery stores have paper bags with handles! I wish they all did, because it's so much easier to make 1 trip up from the car with 3 bags per hand instead of multiple trips with 1 bag in each arm.
37.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I do not use cloth bags because I would need about 20 or so every time I shop. However, I do recycle all of my bags. I do not throw them away. Most grocery stores (around here anyways) have a bag recycling program.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I carry the reuseable bags unless I forget them (which is rare, and usually when I stop in for just one or two things). They're so much easier to use than plastic and I love how I can fit my whole shopping trip into only 4 bags, instead of twice that many plastic ones.

I also don't understand why so many people still use plastic. Some people do reuse them as garbage can liners and things. And I guess you can recycle them at the store. But still, it seems like most people I see still use plastic.

eta: We bought maybe 4, but we have at least 3 others we got for free. I should leave some in my car, but we almost always take DH's car for shopping trips, so it seems easier to leave them in the house and take them if we need them. We've been doing it long enough that we rarely forget.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
We use them for disposing of cat related litter mess as well. We need something to scoop in to. Sometimes I reuse the cat little bin but I can''t stand the stench from storing weeks of cat pee and poo clumps in the bin so I end up tossing it after its about half full. I do own reusable bags and use them sometimes, when we are all set with cat litter scooping bags.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I still use plastic bags, somebody needs to keep the plastic bag industry in business. I still print my emails when needed for the same reason (I support the paper industry).

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
We''ve been using re-useablebags for a few years now - everytime I plan on grocery shopping I bring 4-6 into the store with me and use them.
The only trouble arises when I stop off on the way from somewhere else to pick up a few things then I get a plastic bag (We don''t have a car, so I can''t just stash them in the trunk).
I guess I should get one of thoes thin bags that folds into a tiny packet for my purse for improptu shopping (I dislike their flimsy look). My conflict of intrest when avoiding plastic shoping bags is that we re-use them as garbage bags ( but considering they''re 5 cents each at the store, it would probably be cheaper to buy garbage bags).
We use reuseable bags sucessfully about 80% of the time.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been using Chico Bags for years. We have a lot of them, maybe six or seven total. (I brought three of them to Ireland with us so we wouldn't have to use disposable bags there, either. It's just too easy not to do it.)

We use biodegradable doggie bags. You can find them at any pet store and they're not expensive or anything. I do not understand why people insist on using plastic grocery bags to pick up poop. WHY?!?!

We have a couple Chico Bags in each car, and I carry one in my purse all the time. It's really not that hard to use them.

When I taught high school I often gave away Chico Bags and aluminum water bottles for class prizes. My students always rolled their eyes about it, but you bet they used those water bottles, and their parents often called me to thank me for the bags. Ha. A friend of mine who still works there just told me that the kids still call them "Mylastname bottles" when they see kids carrying them around. Ah, what a legacy.
3.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEL, curious as to why the plastic bag industry needs to be supported? Does that industry ONLY make the plastic 2-handled bags or is there more to that? Just wondering.

Another thing I just thought of is plastic bags at retailers OTHER than grocers or Wal-Mart, etc. It seems like every time I go to Macy''s or Old Navy or whatever random clothing store I''m given a plastic bag. I should probably start asking for paper shopping bags with handles (I ALWAYS re-use those, typically to keep my dry cleaning in until I''m ready to take it in plus lots of other things).

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 11:46:28 AM
Author: monarch64
NEL, curious as to why the plastic bag industry needs to be supported? Does that industry ONLY make the plastic 2-handled bags or is there more to that? Just wondering.

Another thing I just thought of is plastic bags at retailers OTHER than grocers or Wal-Mart, etc. It seems like every time I go to Macy's or Old Navy or whatever random clothing store I'm given a plastic bag. I should probably start asking for paper shopping bags with handles (I ALWAYS re-use those, typically to keep my dry cleaning in until I'm ready to take it in plus lots of other things).
It was just a lighthearted comment about the platic bag industry's decreasing market share. I re-use plastic bags all the time--I use them to pick up the boys' poop, I use them to carry my lunch to work, in fact I often run out. For me it's convenient, and even better, free!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 11:52:34 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Date: 6/10/2010 11:46:28 AM

Another thing I just thought of is plastic bags at retailers OTHER than grocers or Wal-Mart, etc. It seems like every time I go to Macy''s or Old Navy or whatever random clothing store I''m given a plastic bag. I should probably start asking for paper shopping bags with handles (I ALWAYS re-use those, typically to keep my dry cleaning in until I''m ready to take it in plus lots of other things).
It was just a lighthearted comment about the platic bag industry''s decreasing market share. I re-use plastic bags all the time--I use them to pick up the boys'' poop, I use them to carry my lunch to work, in fact I often run out. For me it''s convenient, and even better, free!
Ah.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use paper when I can (and recycle those), but will use plastic and reuse them for Amelia''s poopy diapers when out and about. They are also good for transporting food that can possibly leak - and transported food always seems to leak! And being Korean, we need them to wrap Kimchi jars in when sharing with friends...you REALLY don''t want a kimchi explosion, ANYWHERE.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We use plastic bags from the store for groceries but reuse them around the house to carry lunches in, clean the litter box into, line bathroom trash bins, etc. I''ve also registered for a diaper pail that takes these bags vs buying specialty bags so I can continue to recycle them.

I like the concept of the cloth bag and I have a whole bunch that I use for various things (taking books to the used book store, gym clothes, etc...) but I always forget them in the car when I get to the store.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use re-usable bags 99% of the time. For everything, including groceries. Even when I go to the mall to shop - I never take their bags even if it''s paper. I also don''t tissue paper wrap my clothing. They''re all just such huge wastes and I just can''t justify it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and the paper bags we get from Trader Joe''s are our kitchen trash bags, so we don''t buy plastic ones.

If I use only canvas for shopping I''ll have to buy plastic trash bags for the kitchen.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
We use cloth bags for groceries. We don''t buy a ton of groceries at a time so 2-4 is pretty much always enough. I really like the reusable bags they sell at Whole Foods. They''re a lot sturdier than the cloth bags that are sold most grocery stores. My sister also has a cute shopping bag she uses at clothing stores, etc. It folds up into a tiny package and she carries it with her in her purse everywhere. She''s been doing that for several years and used to get strange looks from cashiers, but now they''re used to it.

As for the cat poop situation, grocery store plastic bags are so flimsy that there are usually holes in them, which isn''t ideal for containing litter.
14.gif
I usually put it in the regular trash if the regular trash is almost full.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 12:19:55 PM
Author: kama_s
I use re-usable bags 99% of the time. For everything, including groceries. Even when I go to the mall to shop - I never take their bags even if it''s paper. I also don''t tissue paper wrap my clothing. They''re all just such huge wastes and I just can''t justify it.
So what do you use instead of the store''s bags, Kama? Do they care if you bring in your own canvas/re-usable bags? Curious of whether you get strange looks or comments, I guess.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
We reuse the plastic grocery bags, therefore, I don't see a problem with it.

And no, I don't pick up my dogs poop with them. ETA: We buy other bags specifically for the poop
3.gif

monarch, your comment above as to contributing to the landfill with dog-poop bags comes across to me as you feeling that picking up your dogs poop is an "option"? But I know I must be reading that wrong.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use my own bags when shopping everywhere, not just in grocery stores, and I never get strange looks. Most often the store employee thanks me for using my own bag, especially in book stores.

Even if I did get strange looks I wouldn''t care. Maybe I already do and I just don''t notice.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 12:26:16 PM
Author: lilyfoot
We reuse the plastic grocery bags, therefore, I don''t see a problem with it.

And no, I don''t pick up my dogs poop with them. ETA: We buy other bags specifically for the poop
3.gif

monarch, your comment above as to contributing to the landfill with dog-poop bags comes across to me as you feeling that picking up your dogs poop is an ''option''? But I know I must be reading that wrong.
Oh H*LL NO it''s not an option! LOL

We use the plastic bags from the dispensers in the neighborhood. Kenny''s comment about paper bags for doody inspired my thought about not using plastic for that purpose anymore.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use paper bags at Whole Foods. They are great for holding our recycling in the kitchen and the handles make it easy to get downstairs to the bin. They also make great fire starters for the barbeque, and trash bags for the bathrooms.
The other store we shop at (a restaurant supply place) uses cardboard boxes for the small stuff and doesn''t bother with larger items.

We do get a few plastic bags at random stores, but they get re-used where possible. Cat litter, dog poop (especially good to take on walks), trash can liners...
Unfortunately the bags have gotten so flimsy (to use less plastic "for the environment") that many have to just be thrown away since they are full of holes.

We''ve got a few re-usable cloth bags too. One carries my stuff for school and another carries the handguns to the range. We do try to bring a couple in the car for groceries but we rarely use them because we do need the other bags (or to go buy disposable bags for stuff).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 12:29:40 PM
Author: Haven
I use my own bags when shopping everywhere, not just in grocery stores, and I never get strange looks. Most often the store employee thanks me for using my own bag, especially in book stores.

Even if I did get strange looks I wouldn''t care. Maybe I already do and I just don''t notice.
My town is seriously too "granola" for anyone to give strange looks; people here are used to being "green" so it wouldn''t be a big deal for me. I just wonder what others'' encounters are like with sales associates.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 12:34:34 PM

Date: 6/10/2010 12:26:16 PM
Author: lilyfoot
We reuse the plastic grocery bags, therefore, I don''t see a problem with it.

And no, I don''t pick up my dogs poop with them. ETA: We buy other bags specifically for the poop
3.gif

monarch, your comment above as to contributing to the landfill with dog-poop bags comes across to me as you feeling that picking up your dogs poop is an ''option''? But I know I must be reading that wrong.
Oh H*LL NO it''s not an option! LOL

We use the plastic bags from the dispensers in the neighborhood. Kenny''s comment about paper bags for doody inspired my thought about not using plastic for that purpose anymore.
We used paper bags for awhile...

Until the Waste Management guys left a note stuck to our bin informing us that we weren''t allowed to do this and if they see it again they won''t collect from us that week.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use the re-usable bags everywhere. Everywhere you go, they charge for plastic bags, and the re-usable ones hold more and stay put better in the back of the car. I''m constantly buying more rather than go without at the store if I forget to return them to the car. The kids use them for everything around the house too, so having a large stock (10-12) is good. I first and foremost use them because they are the green-er choice.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use cloth. The only place it''s really a hassle is Walmart. I like that you can pack them really heavy and throw them on your shoulder. That means less trips to the car.
9.gif

As for poop bags, I take NO chances! I have a very large dog who makes very large poo and I''ve been burned by cheap/reused bags one too many times.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still get plastic bags. I either reuse them when I condition my hair (they''re great for that
36.gif
) Or the excess I take back to the store since they have a bin for them there. They don''t throw them out they actually reuse them for various things.

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results