shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning on buying a Tacori, Question

aso725

Rough_Rock
Hello all. New here so please excuse me.
After a somewhat extensive search I have decided to buy a Tacori, this one to be exact:
http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/4015RD6

I went to a local dealer this past weekend and decided to purchase the setting. I have not decided to on the diamond though, I am leaning toward a .92 ct, E, VSI, Ideal Cut. Ideally I would want something slightly larger, currently they did not have anything. They are willing to hold the diamond for me this week while they look for something else. I am concerned and a bit uneasy buying the diamond until I get the setting so I have been a bit indecisive.

So I guess my questions are:

Regarding Size: Do you think that there is a big enough difference between .92 ct, and say a 1.0X ct. She would be a 4.75 size, so I hoping that since she is on the smaller side I could go with a smaller diamond and go for better cut and color.

Having the diamond set: What are peoples experiences having a Tacori dealer set the diamond. Is this allowed under their warranty.

Sizing: Do you have to have Tacori do any resizing that may be needed, my research leads me to believe yes, but this did not come up when talking it over with the dealer.

And my final question is that for the warranty to be valid, does the receipt of the setting have to be full price.

Thanks

4015RD6_multi.zoom_0.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just started working for a Tacori dealer in Canada, so I will offer answers to the best of my knowledge!

First, congratulations! That is a beautiful setting.

Diamond size: you would not be able to notice the difference unless they were side by side, and even then may not. I think the just under a carat mark is a great deal. That said, you could go to G-H and VS2-SI1 and may not notice a difference either. I would wait for them to pull a few diamonds to choose your favourite.

Setting: in Canada, the jeweler sets the diamond and it is allowed by tacori/the warranty. Probably a customs/border issue as I'm fairly certain in the States they are sent to tacori for setting.

Sizing: I had my tacori sized by a tacori dealer (before I worked for one) and now I know that was a mistake. They didn't want to send to tacori because they said it would take 6 weeks (should only be 2) and would charge me $50 for shipping (should only be $20). They did not match the metal, left a visible 'slice' line AND rubbed off the 'TACORI' stamp--all of which were unnecessary :angryfire: So I highly recommend sending to tacori because they will size and service the ring for no charge, only the shipping. You may have to wait a bit longer, but it's definitely without a doubt worth it!!!

Warranty: I'm not sure if tacori has access to how much the setting cost you but at my store, we discount the diamond instead of the setting. Tacori has an excellent warranty, you should get a card with the purchase.

HTH! :wavey:

aso725

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. I have gotten somewhat conflicting responses regarding having the diamond set by a dealer vs sending it to Tacori and having them do it. Most say that they do it all the time and have not any problems. At this point I think I might just contact Tacori directly to find out their Warranty policies.

I was also wondering what peoples experiences are regarding the millgrain on Tacori rings, how do they hold up over time on Platinum rings.

Thanks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, you should always buy the diamond first. Then, you have the Tacori dealer send the stone to Tacori to make the head to fit the ring and make the ring the exact size of your girlfriend's finger. We have heard too many nightmares here about people buying a sample Tacori ring at a jeweler and them messing up the ring.

So buy your diamond and then insist that the ring be custom made by Tacori for your stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1307910321|2944205 said:
First of all, you should always buy the diamond first. Then, you have the Tacori dealer send the stone to Tacori to make the head to fit the ring and make the ring the exact size of your girlfriend's finger. We have heard too many nightmares here about people buying a sample Tacori ring at a jeweler and them messing up the ring.

So buy your diamond and then insist that the ring be custom made by Tacori for your stone.

Yes yes yes.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely get your diamond first and I agree that I would make sure it was sent to Tacori for the setting. I understand that jewelers in Canada may be allowed to do it without voiding a warranty but that doesn't eliminate the chance that the setting gets messed up in the process which we have seen happen to rings here time and time again. It's just not worth the risk IMO and why do it when you can easily just have Tacori do it. If the ring ever does need to be resized I would probably suggest sending it back to Tacori. It does complicate thing a bit since you are in Canada though and since the ring appears to have a plain shank you'd probably be okay having someone local size it but I would double check with tacori to make sure doing that didn't invalidate a warranty.

aso725

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies. Hopefully I will find the diamond I like this week and will place the order. Then I guess the waiting begins.

I did have one more question, one of the jewelers I talked to said that it cost more to have Tacori set the diamond (which I intend to do no matter what), and was wondering if there is any truth to that.

Thanks

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
aso725|1307926566|2944356 said:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Hopefully I will find the diamond I like this week and will place the order. Then I guess the waiting begins.

I did have one more question, one of the jewelers I talked to said that it cost more to have Tacori set the diamond (which I intend to do no matter what), and was wondering if there is any truth to that.

Thanks

It may be true b/c of the adding shipping costs if the diamond is coming from Canada and then to the US and then back to Canada, but if you bought the ring in the US it would not cost more for a designer to set a stone into one of their rings or it shouldn't :sick:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results