shape
carat
color
clarity

planning a romantic NYC proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vik6

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I have officially ordered the ring (with help from some people pricescope) from Leon Mege and he has promised it to me a few days before I would like to propose in NYC.

I''ll give you all an idea of what I am thinking of doing based on what she likes and our preliminary plans and then if anyone can give any suggestions or thoughts, I would very much appreciate it!

I was invited to a wedding in NYC that she wasn’t invited to, but she wants to come along to do some sightseeing/shopping as she loves the city. The idea is that the wedding ceremony/reception is on Saturday afternoon and I am going to go for a little and then leave early to hang out with her. I wanted to have a nice dinner with her that evening, stay at a nice hotel that night, and then pop the question on the rooftop of that hotel the following morning as she loves skylines and especially that of NYC. (Also, this would be a surprise as I have told her to save the following weekend and I''ll take care of plans, so I bet she thinks it is going to go down that weekend.) Then, I thought we could spend Sunday and Monday in NYC with her. I was thinking that I would email her boss (who is very nice) and ask if it was okay if she missed Monday as we would be celebrating our engagement in NYC for one more day.

So, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following:
1. Recommendations for nice hotels with great views that could maybe set something up for me on the roof. Ideally, I would like to send her down to the hotel''s spa (or a nearby spa) for a manicure/pedicure, let her come up to find a new dress waiting with a note that said come to the roof, and then me be on the roof with music playing, etc. As I think this through, it might make more sense for us to stay out of NYC so we can get a view of NYC.
2. I want to get some pictures taken of the big moment and i know she would like the same - I was wondering if it was possible to hire a photographer to take some of those hidden pictures with everything going down starting when I send her down for the spa service.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I don’t think she minds people being around, but if we could get a private roof somewhere, that would be ideal. I really don’t want to do it in a very public place like the statue of liberty, empire state building, or a museum. I know this plan may sound a bit far fetched, but I think it is possible if I find the right place. I have read through some of the other forum postings for proposals in NYC and I found some ideas, but nothing specific to this idea.

Thank you to everyone in advance! I was able to find such great help on this site when it came to buying a ring, now I was hoping to do the same when it came to the big proposal especially as I know how much it means to her.

I am starting to get stressed as the weekend I am planning to do this is just 3 weeks away now and I know i am going to have to book something ASAP to get anything even remotely close to what I am envisioning.

Thanks,
Vik

PS. She loves the proposal scene from Serendipity!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think NYC will be a great proposal location! Do you make it a common practice to send her for a manicure and pedicure? Because if not, that is almost a dead giveway that you are proposing! I''d really recommend doing it the night before...so romantic in the evening! I can''t help you with hotels that have rooftop areas, though, sorry! Good luck!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Love the idea. Yes, the spa thing seems like a giveaway to what would otherwise be quite an incredible proposal. Actually, the dress does too. Perhaps you could tell her you have dinner reservations at some very nice restaraunt. That way she would be dressed up. Then, say something like "let''s checkout the view before it gets too dark..." then go up together. I think your plan just gives too much away.

I wish I lived a few hours closer... I''d accept the photo challenge. Like diamondseeker, I don''t know the area well enough to offer suggestions. I know there are NYC people on here though... hopefully they will find this.

Treefrog

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there...
Congrats on your upcoming engagement! So exciting!!

I live in NYC and grew up here so I''d love to help. Got engaged here myself a couple months ago (although in my apartment so not quite the same idea)!

Can you provide some more info on you guys? That might help. For example, my FI and I love to just take walks around the city. It''s beautiful on the west side now. They''ve created little ''parks'' along the hudson from around battery park city up to the 30''s. There are small lawns and benches along the water and there are views of the statue of liberty. it''s beautiful there when the sun sets. There''s also the highline which is a new above ground park with cool landscaping and views. Tends to get a bit crowded b/c it''s kind of a new hotspot. I personally think it''d be super cute to get a pizza from somewhere, like Lombardis (classic NY...first pizzeria here) and a bottle of wine and sit in a park somewhere...even central park and just have it be the two of you. No matter where you are in the city, there are beautiful views of the city all around.

As for hotels, there are a billion. Depends on style and cost. For more modern hotels, try the hotel gaansevort (rooftop pool), or the smyth tribeca or the hotel on rivington (all of these are downtown). very mod and ny-ish. The soho grande is beautiful too. bryant park hotel is supposed to be really nice and i think it''s a bit more traditional (and right on bryant park which is lovely). the hudson hotel i think also has a roof deck but i''m not sure.

Hope that helps in the meantime. If you want to give some more info or direction, I can rack my brain some more!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Treefrog pointed me to this thread (thanks) but I can only advice you of the downtown area (battery park city) as that's where I live and know best.

I'm sure other manhattanites can give you more ideas.

Ok, so if it were me- The Ritz Calrton Battery Park city is an AMAZING HOTEL. Like seriously gorgeous with views of the Hudson River and the downtown skyline (financial district buildings which are HUGE).

It has a spa, a great restuarant and an amazing bar area called the Rise Terrace which faces the Hudson (the hotel is right accross a small street from the hudson- in a quiet residential neighborhood (mine!!) but walking distance to Wall st which now has a Tiffs and a Hermes in the area. Everything else is a short subway or cab ride away.

Rise Terrace can be booked for private special events. No idea how much it costs but not cheap.

Tribeca is also within walking distance and is known for it's restaurants. Just so you know though, most are only open for dinner and require a reservation, or so they claim. I've been seated numerous times without one. If you're interested, let me know what kind of food, and i'll try to give a recommendation.

If you get a room facing the front of the hotel you get a Hudson View. Seriously, the views are AWESOME!.

Here's the link: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/BatteryPark/Information/Default.htm

As far as photographers go, I can't recommed one but the hotel does do weddings so I'm sure they can if no one else chimes in first!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Elle! I thought it was too much of a coincidence that I saw your other post just after I read this. Can''t wait to hear how this story pans out.

Treefrog

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
marlie- Lombardie''s is a grea idea. Or even taking a walk over the brooklyn bridge to Grimaldi''s. The view of the city from Grimaldi''s is second to none. And both places have the only coal oven pizza in nyc that''s seriously delicious.

But if you choose either, prepare to wait. I walked by Lombaries Sunday and there was a long line. Grimaldi''s, with it''s location, has an up to two hour wait in the summer. Eat in or take out
39.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Your proposal idea sounds great!

I''m from NY and my husband proposed in Central Park. It''s a very long story, but part of it is that he hired a photographer who secretly videotaped us leading up to the proposal (I had NO idea he was there!) and took pictures as well. He videotaped the proposal too and took pictures of us around Central Park after the proposal!

He does a nice job (it''s not necessarily the quality of wedding photos and I don''t think he edits them himself, but he''s great with the "secret" videotaping and gives you a whole CD with all the pictures and video about 2 weeks later so you can easily edit them on your computer if you want to.) I don''t have the pictures from the engagement on PS, but we recently re-hired him for re-takes of wedding pictures, which can be seen here: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/got-pictures-back-t120111.html

Those pictures were edited by me after we got the CD (the pictures on the CD were a little darker, so I brightened them up a bit).

If you''re interested I can get his contact information.

Good luck with the proposal!!!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Also: after our wedding, we spent the wedding night at the Ritz Carlton in Westchester. I dont know about the view (I had other things on my mind that night!
2.gif
) but I know the staff there was INCREDIBLE.

My husband had emailed them pictures of us and songs a couple weeks before the wedding and they not only framed the pictures and put them around the room, but they also spread rose petals and Hershey kisses throughout the room and on the bed, set them up in the shape of hearts and "I love you"s throughout the room, and they put the songs onto a CD and had it playing as we walked into our suite. It was unbelievable. The staff was amazingly helpful (and they even warmed up food for us from our wedding and brought it up to us at 3 in the morning!) Every single little detail requested by my husband was done exactly as he had asked them to do it and I was totally surprised by all of it!

Again, I don''t know what the view is like, so I can''t speak for that. But I can tell you the staff there would probably do everything they could to help you with your proposal. It was my first "Ritz Carlton" experience and the quality of the staff was everything and more than I could have hoped for.

vik6

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions and ideas. I am going to look into all the hotels you guys mentioned, but in follow-up to some specific questions/thoughts brought up by some of you:

1. Me sending her to get a manicure/pedicure is something pretty routine. But, having a new dress waiting for her is not. So, I am thinking i may change the plan to tell her to dress up nice on saturday night and meet me somewhere for dinner - i''ll leave the wedding early and meet her there.

2. We like romantic, nice places, that aren''t super expensive. I am willing to shell out some money to make this memorable for us, but I just dont want to go bankrupt :) ... but based on this new plan, is there somewhere in NYC or even NJ that would give me a private roof or something - i could have some music playing, the sun could be setting, there would be an awesome view of the city or the water, and I could propose to her as soon as she came up there. I know this is a lot to ask for, but it doesnt even have to be somewhere fancy ... i just want it to be somewhere nice and private ... where i could setup a few things (flowers, "our" song playing, etc.) and there be an awesome view. Maybe a restaurant that has a private seating area apart from the rest of the guests with a view? that way it isnt completly private, but somewhat private?

3. Lilac, if you could send me the photographer''s contact info, that would be great. If he could just take some pics of her as she enters, her reaction, the ring, etc, the background, etc - that would be awesome. (I hope he isnt super expensive!)

Any other thoughts or suggestions are gladly welcomed!!!!! Everyone is so helpful and it gets me excited/nervous just thinking about it! I just want to make this as memorable as possible while keeping it somewhat in budget!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 5:20:00 PM
Author: vik6

1. Me sending her to get a manicure/pedicure is something pretty routine. But, having a new dress waiting for her is not. So, I am thinking i may change the plan to tell her to dress up nice on saturday night and meet me somewhere for dinner - i''ll leave the wedding early and meet her there.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are gladly welcomed!!!!! Everyone is so helpful and it gets me excited/nervous just thinking about it! I just want to make this as memorable as possible while keeping it somewhat in budget!

The dress issue was my thought but I had forgotten you were going to be at a wedding without her. I guess you can either find that restaraunt that will meet your needs or do it after dinner on the roof of the hotel if it has access and the view.

Keep it up... we''re behind you all the way...

Treefrog

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions and ideas. I am going to look into all the hotels you guys mentioned, but in follow-up to some specific questions/thoughts brought up by some of you:

2. We like romantic, nice places, that aren''t super expensive. I am willing to shell out some money to make this memorable for us, but I just dont want to go bankrupt :) ... but based on this new plan, is there somewhere in NYC or even NJ that would give me a private roof or something - i could have some music playing, the sun could be setting, there would be an awesome view of the city or the water, and I could propose to her as soon as she came up there. I know this is a lot to ask for, but it doesnt even have to be somewhere fancy ... i just want it to be somewhere nice and private ... where i could setup a few things (flowers, ''our'' song playing, etc.) and there be an awesome view. Maybe a restaurant that has a private seating area apart from the rest of the guests with a view? that way it isnt completly private, but somewhat private?

3. Lilac, if you could send me the photographer''s contact info, that would be great. If he could just take some pics of her as she enters, her reaction, the ring, etc, the background, etc - that would be awesome. (I hope he isnt super expensive!)

Renting a private roof in nyc = huge $$. No idea about jersey though. Plus, I''m not sure if they''d be willing to do it for a party of two.
I asked a friend of mine (as she knows just about every bar in the city) and she recommended 230 fith. Link: http://www.230-fifth.com/
She said the views are outstanding, and the food is good. You can try giving them a call and see what they''re willing to do.

Here''s an article I found on nyc bars. They mention a few hotels that have them so doesn''t hurt to call. http://swirlsavvy.blogspot.com/2009/04/best-rooftop-bars-in-nyc-to-drink-wine.html

Another option is chartering a sailboat and going up and down the hudson for a few hours with some drinks. This place has pretty good prices and you can''t beat the view from the boat. You can always ask a crew member member to take some pic,. or hire a photographer that she thinks is part of the crew. link: http://www.atlanticyachting.com/

The sailboat option is something I''m considering for my husbands birthday. I think this could be perfect.

The Ice Man

Rough_Rock
NYC is a beautiful place to propose. I live here and will furnish you with my personal suggestions. As far as a hotel there are many but none come close to The Waldorf Astoria or The Ritz Carlton. Lombardi''s pizza is great but New Park is better! The whole spa idea is great if you do that often for her, if not I wouldn''t. Their are several places to go as far as a beautiful view but I have to agree with the other as far as Central Park. It dosen''t get much better than that. A nice horse and buggy ride and a proposal, what else can a woman want? If you decide to stay at the Waldorf the concierge service is tip top. They will help you with anything you need. I wish you the best of luck pal and enjoy the big apple!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
oooh, i disagree with the Waldorf. Had a room in their "Tower" for New Years one year and I wasn''t impressed. It was dark and damp. The hotel itself looked dated to me. The breakfast/brunch the next morning was excellent, but as it was a buffet, there was a huge line and we waited forever. I know its supposed to be one of the best hotels here but I think it''s getting by on it name alone. The Ritz in midtown is an amazing hotel though, i do agree with that. And it has beautiful location right across from central park.

Oh, for a great view, of nyc "Top of the Rock" @30 Rockefeller Plaza (70th floor) I heard (have not been) that it beats the empire state buildings views and the lines are short. You may be able to contact them and see if they can arrange a private area for the proposal.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I think the Gramercy Park Hotel has one of the most beautiful rooftop areas I''ve ever seen -- but you''d have to check to make sure there''s no event booked on the roof for that day.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock

2. We like romantic, nice places, that aren''t super expensive. I am willing to shell out some money to make this memorable for us, but I just dont want to go bankrupt :) ... but based on this new plan, is there somewhere in NYC or even NJ that would give me a private roof or something - i could have some music playing, the sun could be setting, there would be an awesome view of the city or the water, and I could propose to her as soon as she came up there. I know this is a lot to ask for, but it doesnt even have to be somewhere fancy ... i just want it to be somewhere nice and private ... where i could setup a few things (flowers, ''our'' song playing, etc.) and there be an awesome view. Maybe a restaurant that has a private seating area apart from the rest of the guests with a view? that way it isnt completly private, but somewhat private?

I''m not home now, but I''ll be home later and I can get the information (his name and phone number). I think DH paid him around $250 or maybe $300 but it probably depends on the amount of time he needs to spend and what you want him to do. For the hours he spent with us (both times) and the travel time and everything, it was a GREAT price compared to everyone else we looked at. If that''s too much, maybe you could have a friend who is also attending the wedding help you out and take some pictures?

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
The photographer''s name was Leon Volskis. I''m not sure if he has a website, but his business card gives 2 contact numbers: 718-847-6422 and 917-628-7182. He told us to recommend him to others and gave us a whole bunch of business cards to give to others so I''m sure he would be happy to get a phone call.

Like I said, not quite the quality of someone I would hire for a wedding, but for DH and I it was perfect for our needs for the proposal (and later our re-takes of some wedding pictures).

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
Not too sure how to go about getting a private roofdeck in NYC without going bankrupt. My suggestion would be to get a crazy nice hotel room with floor to ceiling windows and beautiful views and have a private dinner set up in there overlooking the city. If you can get a room at The Standard (meatpacking district) i know the rooms have nice views. Might be hard to get a room b/c it''s currently the ''it'' hotel. Afterward you guys can take a walk on the highline if you really want to be outside. the neighborhood is really cool, very trendy and lots of great restaurants for brunch the next morning.

if you want something more traditional and old new york, then maybe the roosevelt hotel or the peninsula or the carlyle hotel. those are all midtown. i''m sure you can''t go wrong with a room in the ritz carlton (midtown) or the st. regis or four seasons either. just depends on your style. all of these are more traditional.

vik6

Rough_Rock
everyone - i just wanted to let you know that i have finally finalized some of the plans for the big proposal based on a lot of your suggestions! I have gotten us reservation at the Ritz Carleton Battery Park and spoken to the catering department about using their rooftop terrace (known as the rise) ... and they are onboard. The terrace supposedly has great views of the Hudson River and the statue of liberty. I have also arranged for the secret photographer using the person Lilac recommended to take pictures of the actual proposal and some afterwards!

my plan is that i will be at an event without her on saturday morning. I am going ot ask her to meet me at the hotel''s restraunt for dinner at around 7ish, where they will tell her that dinner is actually arranged for us upstairs. She''ll come up and I''ll be there ... and then I''ll do it.

I am starting to get nervous, but I am happy everything is coming together. I was also able to get the okay from her boss to suprise her with an extra day in NYC ... so, we''ll get there next Friday, I''ll propose on Saturday night, we''ll hang out in NYC on Sunday and then we can come back to DC on Monday!

Last ask for advice - does anyone have suggestions on how I can fancy up the roof of the hotel for the actual proposal. I was thinking of getting a florist to do something extravagent like maybe spell out "Will you marry me" in flowers or something? hmmm, I know it sounds cheesy, but just a thought. I was also of thinking to ask the hotel to play our song if they have a sound system. Any other suggestions?

Thank you as always everyone! I am excited to show all of you our pics (of the proposal and the ring) after this is all done!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know what the terrace is like or how well lit it is. May be tough to do well in flowers. How about small white Christmas tree lights? Not sure if you''re driving or flying but they don''t take too much room. I''m sure you could get a couple of boxes from them. Maybe spray paint the boxes black. Take a gold pen or something and write out the words. Tape the lights to the words on the cardboard.

Treefrog

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Change of heart here... forget the tree lights. The sign would have to be too big or you''d need a lot of lights. How about light sticks instead. Sure - it will take quite a few but they come in all sizes and colors. They last for hours. It would probably be a pain to activate them and then tape them so tape them ahead of time and just activate them with the heel of your shoe or something. It should look better than flowers or tree lights in the photos.

Treefrog

DS01

Rough_Rock
Well, its official! Vik6 proposed and I am thankful to be the lucky girl to be engaged to the best guy in the world :)

Everything he wrote about to you all, he followed through on and the proposal was just breathtaking - and I couldnt stop crying... and I dont think I said anything for about 10 minutes... maybe 15!

He showed me all the forums that he posted on here and I''m thankful to all of you for your great suggestions and help. I thought I''d log on myself and tell you all what he ended up doing :)

How it happened:

We went to NYC to attend a distant friends wedding - he went to the wedding, I wasn''t going but I tagged along to spend some time in the city that I love. In the morning we went running all through Central Park and were truly enjoying a great day. He tricked me that he had pricelined a room at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park, so thinking that he got a great deal, i went along with it. We checked in on Saturday and hung out downtown. At around 3:30 he left for the wedding and I decided to take a nap but went to get my cell phone in case anyone called. Before I fell asleep, I checked my phone and there was a text from him telling me to check my calendar book in my purse. Confused, I did just that - and there was a note that he had left for me saying that I had a spa appointment at 4:30 at the Spa upstairs for a Manicure and Pedicure. I was so stunned - I had just been joking about how I wish I had a million dollars to get an in-room foot massage from the spa!
1.gif
So I got very emotional, knowing that the Spa upstairs was a huge gift in and of itself. I had half a mind not to go, but of course I went along with it, holding back tears the whole time. At the spa, I had changed into one of their Robes - when I was about to get the Manicure, the spa lady asked me if I wanted to change - thinking that she wanted me to change into my clothes so as not to ruin the mani, I said okay. But she brought out a dress bag with a bow and a note on it and my jaw dropped and I told her that it wasnt mine. She told me I was supposed to change into this after the manicure. I read the note from Vik6 and couldnt hold back the emotions. It was a beautiful BCBG cream dress that I was told to wear to dinner that evening. I thought it was over at that point, that there were no more surprises because he''s done things like this before and I really thought he was trying to throw me off and confuse me that the engagement would be another day and just be his sweet self. I got downstairs at 6 30, and had 1/2 hour to get ready. Luckily the dress fit like a glove and I was feeling like a Princess... still emotional and still teary eyed. At 7:10 I called him and asked if i was supposed to meet him downstairs or if he was coming up. He told me to come down to the restaurant of the Hotel - When i got there the Maitre D handed me the last note - he asked me to come to the Rooftop Terrace where the moved our dinner reservation. This is when I knew that something was going to happen, but I still didn''t beleieve it until it happened. I somehow made it up there and the manager took me through double doors where I heard our songs playing in an empty room and I saw him standing out on the rooftop with the backdrop of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Skyline and the Hudson River behind him. I couldnt stop crying at this point and he took me around the corner to a row of bushes where he had hired a florist to spell out in Rose Buds "Will you Marry Me". He got down on one knee and proposed and I believe I shook my head yes bc I couldnt get out the word Yes! He had hired a photographer to capture the moment and had a bottle of champagne and a beautiful bouquet of roses for me to have as well. We were able to have a 30-40 min photo shoot along the skyline and in Battery Park and then celebrated at dinner at the Ritz'' restaurant. It was truly a memorable night and I am so thankful. We are happy to be engaged and we completed our engagement weekend by spending an extra day in the city (he had emailed my boss 2 weeks ago requesting Monday off!)

Thank you to everyone for your ideas and help to make our special day so special.

Ps. The ring is STUNNING!!!!!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS!!! The proposal sounds beautiful!!
36.gif

Now, where are the pics of the ring??!!
9.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - that sounds incredible! Great job vik6 and congratulations to you both!
36.gif

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Hello DS01 & vik6
35.gif

Now I''m all teary, too!

WHAT a beautiful proposal story. One that you''ll remember all your lives...

Many warm congratulations to you both
36.gif

(Selfishly, may we see some see photo''s from that wonderful night?
9.gif
)

~Allyson

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 3:39:04 PM
Author: Vancity
Hello DS01 & vik6
35.gif

Now I''m all teary, too!

36.gif

9.gif
)

~Allyson
Seconded! This is just beautiful! **wipes away happy tear**

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 4:26:19 PM
Author: vc10um

Hello DS01 & vik6
35.gif

Now I''m all teary, too!

36.gif

9.gif
)

~Allyson

Thirdsies. Wipes away a happy tear
30.gif

Congratulations to you both!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/31/2009 10:00:22 PM
Author: Blackpaw
Date: 8/28/2009 4:26:19 PM

Author: vc10um

Hello DS01 & vik6
35.gif

Now I''m all teary, too!

36.gif

9.gif
)

~Allyson

Thirdsies. Wipes away a happy tear
30.gif

Congratulations to you both!

Fourthsies. Congratulations to you both, and what a romantic proposal!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! So happy it all worked out!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results