shape
carat
color
clarity

Places to Elope

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
The guy and I are likely going to elope. We've both been married before and have done the big wedding deal. We originally thought about a small wedding with family and close friends, but it's clear that's going to quickly get out of control. So, now we're thinking of just eloping somewhere romantic and then having a party when we get home. The problem is that we don't know where to go. We don't have a special place so I need suggestions. Anyone have great elopement spots they'd like to share?

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
Try searching 'elopement packages' on Google, SO many come up and they're everywhere! The US, Europe, Asia, that way you can see if anywhere jumps out at you.
Is there anywhere you've both wanted to particularly visit?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look back through the last few pages of "Getting Lost in Stupid Stuff". Audball and a couple of other ladies here are eloping so there are a couple of GREAT ideas in there. Also some great information about things to ask about when choosing a place.

Are you looking for tropical or snowy (snow covered trees and a sleigh could be fun too!) or historical or ????

What sort of feel are you looking for? What do you like?

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
We are currently looking at Key West! The prices seem to be very reasonable and it's gorgeous! We also are looking into cruises in the Caribean. Neither of us have ever done a cruise before and they have awesome 'beach wedding' packages.

I know a couple that eloped to Paris and it was amazing!

We are mainly looking to keep it in the U.S. because we don't want to have to legally marry before or after our elopement. :???:

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies. We live in Wyoming, so snowy isn't necessarily on the agenda. Plus, I want a dress and this winter seems too soon, but I don't want to wait until next winter! Although I could maybe make February or March work. I think the US is likely what we want. J travels a lot for work and doesn't love Paris (I have no idea how that's possible, but it's true). I feel like there are a lot of beautiful places in the US I haven't seen, and why not use this as an opportunity to go somewhere. I'm thinking maybe Charleston - it's so romantic and historic. There's Napa, Hawaii, Las Vegas (which is what J wants, but we aren't really Vegas people), and so many others that I get overwhelmed. J loves the water, so I'd like to find someplace on the water - ocean, lake, river, whatever. I'll check out the other threads, thanks for the suggestions. And if something seems "perfect," I'd love to hear about it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hawaii -- Maui is gorgeous

Leavenworth -- info
Closer to home (Washington state). Beautiful with snow or during the spring or in summer. River.

Napa -- Beautiful. I've read about hot air balloon romantic evening packages that might make for a memorable elopement!

Cave B Winery -- (WA state) this is where we are going. Beautiful! Amazing restaurant, gorgeous views overlooking the river & gorge, great hotel rooms (free standing buildings are nice inside, super private, and look out over the river) and wonderful people to work with. LINK

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
nowicanseethemoon|1381245425|3534166 said:
Thanks ladies. We live in Wyoming, so snowy isn't necessarily on the agenda. Plus, I want a dress and this winter seems too soon, but I don't want to wait until next winter! Although I could maybe make February or March work. I think the US is likely what we want. J travels a lot for work and doesn't love Paris (I have no idea how that's possible, but it's true). I feel like there are a lot of beautiful places in the US I haven't seen, and why not use this as an opportunity to go somewhere. I'm thinking maybe Charleston - it's so romantic and historic. There's Napa, Hawaii, Las Vegas (which is what J wants, but we aren't really Vegas people), and so many others that I get overwhelmed. J loves the water, so I'd like to find someplace on the water - ocean, lake, river, whatever. I'll check out the other threads, thanks for the suggestions. And if something seems "perfect," I'd love to hear about it.

I don't love Paris, either, so I get where he's coming from!

So it sounds like you don't have a preference of tropical vs. not. Napa is amazingly gorgeous, but it's not on the water. Carmel (about 90 miles south of San Francisco) would be a fantastic elopement spot, and it IS on the water. San Francisco if you want more of a big-city atmosphere. The Lake Tahoe area for mountains and trees, plus the lake. You could also do something like the U.S. Virgin Islands, which would get you a super tropical Caribbean wedding with the benefits of being in a U.S. territory.

I guess it really all depends on what type of feel you're going for! I think you need to figure that out first, and then come up with a list of places that fit your criteria for what you're looking for.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nowicanseethemoon|1381245425|3534166 said:

I know you said the US, but please consider the Riviera Maya, Mexico -- Maroma Beach in particular. We were married on the beach at the resort (Secrets Maroma Beach, which is fabulous) and it was sooooooo beautiful! The actual beach is stunning, so your husband would be in heaven! Like you mentioned, we came back and had a big party! :bigsmile:

There is an abandoned mansion with a winding staircase just down the beach that would serve as a very romantic and unusual backdrop should you be interested in that area. We had several photos taken there. Also, the water is so blue and the sky has the most gorgeous pastels at sunrise & sunset -- it's just beautiful. Most of the wedding photos from here that I found online were sort of cheesy and a little resort-wedding-esque for my taste, but there is no limit to the decor. I also saw a very minimalistic wedding the day after ours that was breathtaking! (kinda makes me wish I'd gone that route and saved all the money... NAH!!!) ;))

The only other beach I've been to that would even compare is in Turks & Caicos... but it was waaaaaaay out of our price range!

I'd be glad to send photos if you'd like -- I just can't upload to PS right now for some reason... :confused: (I'll keep trying...)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You want perfect?

KAUAI!!!! so much to do on one small island. No high-rises, no chain restaurants, completely unspoiled. It's the "real" old school Hawaii. Buy this book and read it. I read it like 4 times, and I planned out our trip and not ONE thing went wrong. These people go and rate EVERYTHING- the hotels, the restaurants, beaches, everything. They do all the work for you. There is SO much to see! The Na Pali coast, INCREDIBLE snorkeling (happens to be on the little beach right next to the best restaurant!), amazing food, wameia canyon, hidden waterfalls and hikes you can do, sooooo much.

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt. I think it's rated the #1 hotel in Hawaii. It was amazing- salt water lagoon, pools that meandered all around the property with little waterfalls, AMAZING views, right on the ocean. If you tell them you are getting married they will upgrade you to an ocean view suite. I can't say enough about it. They go above and beyond to make everything perfect. We got married on the beach with a justice of the peace, had some photos snapped, and spent the rest of the time exploring the island.

I was so depressed when we had to leave, that I wanted my plane to crash on the way home. :lol:

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/kauai-revealed

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm eloping in Vegas next month. I know it's been done to death, but it seemed like the easiest option. We're doing it at Chapel of the Flowers based on the recommendation of my SIL who swears it's easy and not at all cheesy.

I know New Mexico doesn't require blood tests or a waiting period so maybe Santa Fe or Taos?

I was maid of honor for a friend at her wedding in Jamaica and it was beautiful and super simple to arrange (it was at Sandals). I'm pretty sure they didn't have to get married twice.

I also think Carmel CA would be a good choice scenery wise, but it's fairly pricey.

Congrats & best wishes!!!

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies. I'm going to be googling up a storm tonight. I'll report back on my findings and thoughts! Now I'm excited and not quite so overwhelmed by the possibilities.

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
You could do something silly and set up a big map of the states and throw darts at it until one of them hits somewhere that gives you fluttery feelings?
OH and I did that once when we were planning a 'window holiday' like window shopping but for holidays lol, it was really fun and we got loads of places to add to our future travel plans.

audball

Ideal_Rock
We're eloping in Savannah, GA. There are no witnesses required for the marriage license, no blood tests, and no waiting period. We live in FL and aren't beach people so we didn't want to do anything tropical/Caribbean/beachy, so that took cruises and Key West, etc off the table. We looked at Charleston which had lots of beautiful spots, but many of them were on the beach or beach-esque which we were leaving FL to avoid.

We had very limited time (FI's new job only gave us 4 vacation days to work with), so we picked something close enough to drive. Savannah is about a 6 hour drive from where we live. We found a great elopement package at a beautiful B&B and coupled with the not needing witnesses, etc, made it a very desirable option for us.

I've posted more details about our package in the getting lost in stupid stuff thread -- but if you're interested in Savannah, let me know! Our date is in 3 weeks and I'll have a first hand review and pictures in a month or so!

There are many beautiful places here in the US without going abroad! We would have LOVED to do San Francisco, but with our limited leave time to deal with, something more local won out. Good luck with your decision!!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1381253607|3534255 said:
You want perfect?

KAUAI!!!! so much to do on one small island. No high-rises, no chain restaurants, completely unspoiled. It's the "real" old school Hawaii. Buy this book and read it. I read it like 4 times, and I planned out our trip and not ONE thing went wrong. These people go and rate EVERYTHING- the hotels, the restaurants, beaches, everything. They do all the work for you. There is SO much to see! The Na Pali coast, INCREDIBLE snorkeling (happens to be on the little beach right next to the best restaurant!), amazing food, wameia canyon, hidden waterfalls and hikes you can do, sooooo much.

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt. I think it's rated the #1 hotel in Hawaii. It was amazing- salt water lagoon, pools that meandered all around the property with little waterfalls, AMAZING views, right on the ocean. If you tell them you are getting married they will upgrade you to an ocean view suite. I can't say enough about it. They go above and beyond to make everything perfect. We got married on the beach with a justice of the peace, had some photos snapped, and spent the rest of the time exploring the island.

I was so depressed when we had to leave, that I wanted my plane to crash on the way home. :lol:

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/books-apps/kauai-revealed

DH and I eloped to Maui, but we went to Kauai last year for vacation and if I had a "do-over", I would have picked Kauai! We also stayed at the Grand Hyatt and it's my favorite hotel that I've stayed in by far. We just had a standard room, so nothing amazing (they do have suites if you want to pay for them), but the pools were AMAZING. I spent hours there everyday for a week (open 24 hours!). Even though we just went last year, I ALMOST made him take me back to the Grand Hyatt this year lol! We ended up going to Alaska but I still can't wait to go back!

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
I've been sucked into Style Me Pretty ... :-o

So far, Charleston, Tybee Island Georgia, Kauai, Turks & Caicos, St Thomas, and Vegas are in the running. I really haven't narrowed it down at all. Oy... I'm in trouble.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
nowicanseethemoon|1381553618|3536252 said:

So far, Charleston, Tybee Island Georgia, Kauai, Turks & Caicos, St Thomas, and Vegas are in the running. I really haven't narrowed it down at all. Oy... I'm in trouble.

I think that's a great start! You've pretty much got two different flavors going on here - 1) tropical (Kauai, T&C, St Thomas), and 2) not tropical (everything else). So now you need to decide which route to want to go, tropical or not, and then you can narrow the list down from there.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

When were you planning on eloping? I wouldn't do anything in the tropics during hurricane season.

audball

Ideal_Rock

Lots of great places!

If you end up with Charleston or Typee Island -- I'd recommend my photographer! I'll have pictures in a few weeks. He's done a lot of shoots in the Tybee Island area and his shoots on Driftwood Beach are beautiful. I don't even like the beach and it was a tempting location! So beautiful.

That being said, I think if you can swing it cost wise, I'd be all over Kauai or Turks & Caicos.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
SMP is like a drug! It's like the PS of wedding p0rn ;-) I've been thinking about eloping as well since that's what DBF would prefer, and from what I have seen, Turks & Caicos would be gorgeous. St. Thomas is another island I've been looking at too. If you end up going that route, we should definitely create an island eloping thread here and share ideas ;))

GracieLee

Rough_Rock
Cap Juluca - Anguilla
Le Kliff - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Coeur d'Alene - Idaho
Destin, Florida

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I've been to Kauai and it's the perfect place for a quiet elopement + vacation.

I'd also like to throw out New Orleans too. The food, people, atmosphere - all great. Prices are reasonable too (cheaper than HI).

SB621

Ideal_Rock
A few that are romantic but probably a little less obvious then some suggested. If I could rewind the clock I would have looked more into these options.

New orleans
The Outer Banks in NC
Washington DC during Cherry Blossom season (march/april/ may)
Cruise (alaska/ hawaii????)

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
OP have you made any progress? I've read this thread as we're also looking for a spot to get married. We're tentatively thinking France (alps/skiing), but it's definitely tempting to do something closer to home!

I've read that Costa Rica is easy, from a legal perspective

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results