shape
carat
color
clarity

Place settings - casual and fine china help??!

Carats

Shiny_Rock
So i''m trying to put together my registry but am having a lot of trouble figuring out my place setting situation. I definitely would love everyday plates/cups and my mom said that i should register for fine china. Do most people register for fine china? The only reason I ask is because I have no idea how often I would use this fine china? I''m registering at bloomies and Williams Sonoma. I like bloomies juliska set but feel like that is in between everyday and more dressy wear - what do you all think? I like it a lot but then am afraid that it is too dressy for everyday but not dressy enough for a more formal purpose. Do you all agree or am I off about this? Its also a very unique look and while I love it, I wonder if I''ll ever get tired of it or wish I had gone with something more neutral down the line.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/registry/wedding/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=233405&CategoryID=3865&LinkType=PDPZ1
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/registry/wedding/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=233344&CategoryID=3865&LinkType=PDPZ1

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/pillivuyt-basketweave-porcelain-cup-and-saucer/?pkey=cdinnerware%7Ctbldnwmug

likes, dislikes, suggestions? I''m so confused!!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock

I''m particularly fond of the Juliska settings you posted. I think you could use it everyday because it''s stoneware, but it is a dressy and feminine look. It''s possible you would get tired of it over time. The basketweave pattern from WS is classic and unlikely to go out of style. It is also very versatile - you could dress it up or down.

That said, this doesn''t have to be the last set of plates you ever buy. If you got tired of the Juliska after 10 years, there are plenty of inexpensive plain everday sets out there.

I think lots of couples aren''t registering for fine china and crystal because they prefer to entertain more informally. I personally love china, and would probably register for it, but I collect vintage Haviland and Belleek and I''m running out of room in my cabinets as it is. FWIW, I use my china whenever I have an excuse, which is usually about once a month.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think you should get what you love. You can always find a more classic set further down the line on something more classic and neutral on ebay or at a thrift shop:) The juliska is very pretty.

The basketweave is definitely classic-my sister in law has that for her everyday setting.

I registered for waterford ballet ribbon for my "formal china" and LOVE it. I think it''s perfect, but if I change my mind down the line I''ll get something else. We have the now discontinued Mikasa Classic Calla (the modern one with the red berries) for everyday b/c it''s what I had before we got married.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
There are people who register for both casual and fine china. Particularly younger couples who are just starting out. I suspect that older couples may not do it as much because they already have dishes (fine or casual) and so they don''t need more.

As far as what you want to get, how do you see yourself entertaining in the future? What are your preferences? What''s the custom with your family and/or friends? If you''d never use fine china, then don''t register for it. But if you want some, go for it!

I think the first Bloomingdale''s pattern would be a very elegant set for everyday use, and could also be dressed up to be more of a fun fine dinnerware set. The second Bloomie''s pattern could also work (though I prefer the first). As far as Williams & Sonoma goes, I think it''s a lovely pattern, but it doesn''t seem as easy to use for fine dining experiences. But maybe that''s just me. Have fun deciding!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We didn''t register for china. We aren''t formal people and we''ll never use it. We got great everyday white dishes from WS and plan to use those for everything.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I think your bloomies choice looks pretty fancy, the only reason that would make it less formal, is the fact it is stoneware. I personally think it is too fancy for everyday use. But this is me.

I didn''t think I would register for china either, but then I thought about it really hard, and changed my mind. There are a lot of Jewish holidays in the year, and then we can also use it for the sabbath meal every week. I just got my first set and I LOVE it!

Go with what your gut tells you. If you love this pattern from bloomies, then get it! If you want something you know you will never get sick of, go with the stuff from WS.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think the lines you picked out look more like very nice everyday plates, rather than fine china. They seem to be stoneware, and even the WS set is a very casual porcelain.

When I was registering, the ladies at the store gave some great advice: Buy what you will need in 10 years, not what you need today, because you won''t ever have another chance to get so many homegoods in one go and by then you''ll be weighing the cost against things for the kids. Plus, I doubt you''ll ever go out and buy yourself 12 placesettings of fine china, but that''s the kind of gift people love to give at weddings.

Most of my friends who married younger concentrated their registries on getting the basics for their household. Most of the older friends concentrated on getting nice things as they already had fully outfitted households. I think you should pick out fine china and everyday and see where you end up at the end. If the fine china doesn''t take or you change your mind, you can take it back and switch to one or the other. Just be sure and pick a registry like Bed Bath & Beyond or Macy''s for both together with a very liberal return policy.

So I guess my advice is to assess what you really need (if you''re just starting out) and what you''d like to have in 10 years. If you hosted Thanksgiving for your family, what would be your ideal placesetting?

Carats

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for the replies:)!

See I do love the juliska but i''m afraid that it has too much of a certain style and it may limit me..i''m also afraid i''ll get tired of it or feel like its too hard to find other serving pieces that match with it? You know, it is very limiting. It also may be too much for everyday?

I want something different and pretty but not so different that i become limited in style and have no way of finding serving pieces that go. With the white WS set, while it is a bit boring, i could easily find other white plain dishes for serving main courses/appetizers/etc in.

I guess I need to find something in between, something with style but not limiting such that I can find other pieces out side of the set that would go. What do you all think?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
We don''t have fine china (we''re not fancy people) and likely never will - we have some good quality white dishes from Maxwell & Williams and love them :)

The Juliska is a seriously ornate pattern and it''s beautiful - the basketweave is one of my favourites - if we could have found a basketweave set in our budget, we would likely have chosen that :)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I registered for everyday stuff, but I have my mother''s china. But if I didn''t own china I don''t think I would have registered because my guest list is not that large and I wanted to prioritize my registry list to the stuff I really need. If I had a large guest list, I probably would have registered for both.

I guess depends on where fine china is on your list of priorities and how big your guest list is.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''re registering for fine china only - I plan to use it and our sterling flatware as much as possible! I''d rather use it and enjoy it and break a couple of pieces than keep it safe and hardly ever see it.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
We didn't have a big wedding so I didn't register for china. Honestly, had we done a bigger wedding I'm not sure I would have registered for it then. I feel like I'd rather my guests spend money on other things that I would get more use out of (interesting serveware, bedding, towels, everyday dinnerware) than something I think I would use maybe once a month. When I was stocking my kitchen for dinner parties I got really good quality plain white dinner plates and I have a few different sets of salad plates. I love layering a colorful and interesting salad plate over a white dinner plate. The dinner plates I got are from Pottery Barn and have held up perfectly over 2 years of heavy use. I also change things up with different napkin rings, wine glasses (good LORD I have a lot of glassware!), place mats or chargers, etc.

I can see why your mother is insisting that you register for china. its a very traditional thing and my MIL suggested that we register as well. All of DH's aunts on his father's side are really really into china and crystal so they ended up purchasing Waterford items for us that they picked out on their own. If you don't think that you'll use the china or that you will grow out of it your tastes will change in a few years, I would skip the china all together and fill out your registry with other interesting items.

ETA: Love the basketweave stuff from WS you posted!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results