shape
carat
color
clarity

Pizza delivery question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
If you are charged a $4 delivery charge for pizza delivery, are you expected to tip as well? I just realized that we are getting charged $4 for delivery from our local pizza shop and I always tip $5 for pizza delivery, (which is a little high, but I just don''t like tipping less than $5 unless it''s at a bar, which is $1 per drink).

I''m thinking that maybe we should not be tipping b/c the delivery charge is kind of a lot. Other places don''t charge...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unfortunately....

while I hate that. like tipping the valet when i have to pay for parking. the right thing to do is still tip. if you don't like tipping, go pick it up yourself. what I do is reduce the tip, though. I'm not going to be out 10 dollars for parking!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, not tipping at all would not be good. I think my question is is the "delivery fee" a manditory tip, or does the pizza place keep it? If it''s the 2nd, that kind of stinks for delivery ppl b/c people def will tip less if there''s such a high fee!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
why don''t you ask?

i''d ask the person on the phone next time when you call to order. ''hey i noticed there is a $4 delivery fee, is any of that considered a tip for my driver or not?''..and then proceed to act with that information.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here the delivery fee is $2.00 and I tip $3.00 -- but we usually only get one pizza. I would probably tip more if it was a big order. I've wondered the same thing; if the delivery person gets any of hte del'y fee.

I do believe that delivery people make at least minimum wage though. So, imo, tipping is optional. To not tip a del'y person is not the same as stiffing a waiter that makes a substandard wage and relies on tips.

ETA: OK, I just googled it and found a site that says tipping is basically mandatory because the del'y person "relies on tips and is using their own car." Well, not from our favorite pizza place! Unless the workers are so enamored of their jobs that they agree to have the restaurant's name emblazoned on their own car, the car definitely belongs to the establishment. (Maybe that's why there's a fee?)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 5:23:33 PM
Author: Maria D
Here the delivery fee is $2.00 and I tip $3.00 -- but we usually only get one pizza. I would probably tip more if it was a big order. I''ve wondered the same thing; if the delivery person gets any of hte del''y fee.

I do believe that delivery people make at least minimum wage though. So, imo, tipping is optional. To not tip a del''y person is not the same as stiffing a waiter that makes a substandard wage and relies on tips.

ETA: OK, I just googled it and found a site that says tipping is basically mandatory because the del''y person ''relies on tips and is using their own car.'' Well, not from our favorite pizza place! Unless the workers are so enamored of their jobs that they agree to have the restaurant''s name emblazoned on their own car, the car definitely belongs to the establishment. (Maybe that''s why there''s a fee?)
yes the fee goes towards the company car.
At most the driver might or might not get 1/2 of it.
Delivery people make their living on tips nothing else.
A buddy of mine was doing it for a while and $3-$5 and your considered a good tipper a lot of the time they are lucky to get the $.50 change.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 5:19:19 PM
Author: Mara
why don''t you ask?

i''d ask the person on the phone next time when you call to order. ''hey i noticed there is a $4 delivery fee, is any of that considered a tip for my driver or not?''..and then proceed to act with that information.
Yeah, I def will...I didn''t notice it till after we''d paid, but next time I will.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
I have a friend that owns a local pizza place. They deliver and do not charge a fee, which is good... Beware though...if you don't tip the delivery driver, they will black list your house...lol.
The delivery driver can put you on the list they keep in the shop. George..my friend would rather turn away rude customers than serve them. His place is located in a rather affluent town so he seems to bump into it a lot.

It is the blue collar folks that always tip the best. They know how it is and seem to relate better.. at least that has always been my experience on it from delivering when I was a kid.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Mara had a good idea.
I''d just ask and take it from there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hee hee, I''ve wondered this myself. Since our favorite pizza place is about 3 blocks away, we just go and pick it up. Chinese is a different story though, they charge $1.50 per delivery, but I always give a 20% tip as long as they get here quickly (which they always do, lol). So a $20 order for us means a $5 tip, including the delivery charge.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless the delivery charge goes to the driver I would still tip because he/she is making the bulk of his money off tips. You could ask the manager of the restaurant, sometimes they charge a fee since the drivers are using company cars and the insurance and gas prices are nuts.

Sometimes they charge it so the driver is guaranteed something...I tip because I use the same place a lot, and I know that some of these guys are paying for gas, insurance and maintaining their cars so I try to be fair. Especially if the pizza is still hot when they get here!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 5:52:14 PM
Author: mtrb
I have a friend that owns a local pizza place. They deliver and do not charge a fee, which is good... Beware though...if you don''t tip the delivery driver, they will black list your house...lol.

The delivery driver can put you on the list they keep in the shop. George..my friend would rather turn away rude customers than serve them. His place is located in a rather affluent town so he seems to bump into it a lot.

It is the blue collar folks that always tip the best. They know how it is and seem to relate better.. at least that has always been my experience on it from delivering when I was a kid.

Haha. My DH delivered pizzas for YEARS when we were in school. He actually got bite by a dog once and the manager had to call and say they would not deliver again if she kept the dog out. I think they made a note in their computer about it. The best story is about a woman that wears a see through shirt. I guess she is older and not attractive (according to DH and a friend that worked there too). She didn''t try to flirt either but everytime someone went there (I guess she ordered a lot) she was wearing it with no bra. I have no idea what kind of material it was (believe me I tried to ask but these boys don''t know those things) Ick! So strange. He worked for a big chain so there was no delivery fee (or company car). I agree about asking next time you call.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori, reminds me of the movie with Patrick Dempsey "Lover Boy" where he delivers pizza and a little some some something for the loney ladies too..it is too funny...but in real life it is sad that someone needed attention that badly...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
We get charged $1.50 but I figure the shop keeps that. I always tip $20%. Maybe a dollar or two over $20% if the weather is bad.

We order pizza about once every 10 days to two weeks so they know us. When we first bought our house, it took forever to get the pizza. Within a few times ordered our pizzas get here QUICK. So I think that the word must have spread we are good tippers.

I had a friend who use to deliver pizzas and after hearing his stores it makes me want to tip them well. Same for any other delivery food.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 10:36:38 PM
Author: diamondfan
Tacori, reminds me of the movie with Patrick Dempsey ''Lover Boy'' where he delivers pizza and a little some some something for the loney ladies too..it is too funny...but in real life it is sad that someone needed attention that badly...

You are right! Haha, Patrick has come so far! The strange thing is they say she didn''t ever flirt or try to seduce them. It made them *very* uncomfortable!!! I will have to remind DH of her!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe she is a bit shy but is figuring if someone responds then okay...or she is seeking attention...or maybe she is just having a wardrobe malfunction?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 10:55:31 PM
Maybe she is a bit shy but is figuring if someone responds then okay...or she is seeking attention...or maybe she is just having a wardrobe malfunction?

Who knows! Couldn''t be a wardrobe malfunction b/c she wore is ALL the time (I tried to find out of it was the same shirt or different but same material but they honestly tried NOT to look). I felt bad for her since all the drivers knew about her. Oh well!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I usually do think of myself as a good tipper, I always give the delivery guys $5 even though we usually only order 15.00 worth of food. The $4 delivery charge really stinks though, I think we may just do pick up from now on b/c of it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I didn''t sometimes have a sick kid or whatever, and the place was close, I would opt for pick up so my pizza is still hot when I get it home!

Goldie

Rough_Rock
I always tip the driver at least $5 even if there is a delivery charge, as I do not want any “surprises” in my food the next time I order.
32.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2006 5:31:26 PM
Author: strmrdr
A buddy of mine was doing it for a while and $3-$5 and your considered a good tipper a lot of the time they are lucky to get the $.50 change.
Seriously? I just assumed they were making minimum wage!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 2:17:40 PM

If they claim all their tips once taxes is taken out of their actual paycheck is at most $50 a week on average.
tips+wages has to equal min. wage or the employer has to make up the difference.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks strmrdr, good to know!

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 2:41:33 PM

Date: 12/17/2006 2:17:40 PM

If they claim all their tips once taxes is taken out of their actual paycheck is at most $50 a week on average.
tips+wages has to equal min. wage or the employer has to make up the difference.

Not to mention most use their own gas and car.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2006 4:00:16 PM
Author: mtrb

Not to mention most use their own gas and car.
When that's the case, I think the pizza place should NOT be charging a delivery fee. That's just not fair and the person who stands to lose the most is the delivery person, who will likely get less of a tip. Why on earth is there a fee if the employer isn't paying a standard wage or providing gas, car and insurance? Sounds like the 'fee' is really a way to raise prices while still looking competitive. Naturally customers are going to assume that a delivery fee has something to do with, um, the cost of delivering the meal! Seriously, this sounds like something to take up with a state's att'y general's office. They shouldn't call it a delivery fee if it's actually just an arbitrary surcharge.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like the delivery fee. Don''t have it for pizza around here. I don''t understand what it''s for. We tip the pizza guys b/c they''re out their own gas and car expenses. There is no company car for them.

If they have a company car, then I''d prolly tip less cuz they''re not forking out of their own pocket.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 11:40:40 PM
If I didn''t sometimes have a sick kid or whatever, and the place was close, I would opt for pick up so my pizza is still hot when I get it home!
we always pick up and I swear my dh is a dork - he always hits the store or wherever else AFTER he picks it up - like he''s gonna run out of time before he''s supposed to get it but after he gets it there''s all the time in the world - I keep telling him the pizza place doesn''t care if it sits in their warmer for 10 minutes - go to the store FIRST and bring it home while it''s still warm!!! lol

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cold pizza is still edible but I like mine hot and gooey!

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I used to manage a pizza place and let me tell you restaurant work is no picnic! Seriously, people got so upset over the pepperoni vs the sausage sometimes.....anyways, the drivers got paid less per hr because they lived on their tips. The delivery charge went for the store''s cost, and the drivers were paid a small price per a delivery for gas money-something like 1$. The driver''s insurance was actually pretty expensive, and they had to provide that on their own. When you tip nicely, you get taken care of nicely, and generally got your food faster. There was actually some knowledge involved in taking the right 3 deliveries together instead of the wrong ones. Good drivers were not that easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results