shape
carat
color
clarity

Pillow help!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
both dh and I are having headaches & neck pain from old or cheap pillows.
He likes down/feathers; I need ones that I'm not allergic to!
He likes fluffy, I prefer flat.
We both hate memory foam & gel ones.
I tried every pillow at macys; local linen shop; bed bath and beyond, nothing.
Once in a hotel there was a pillow called Ploh that was amazing & Duxiana store years back had pillows that I loved too.
But those are very very expensive for pillows.
So im looking for similar ones that are more affordable.

Any ideas?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don’t know much about pillows, but I do suffer from back pain. I recently bought new pillows from the pillow guy when we moved into this house. I purchased 8 all together. 4 when I purchased my new mattress and then I recently purchased another 4 when they had their Labor Day sale.
The ones I purchased were these-
Down Alternative Pillow - King / 2 Pack / Overstuffed Side/Back Sleeper

I love them! I’ve never had a better nights sleep. I kept four for myself and gave one to each of my kids and then we have one in the basement for when my oldest daughter sleeps over.

I bought the overstuffed bc I am a side sleeper but they also have the regular stuffed. You can buy them separately. I bought the two pack bc they gave a better price if you buy two at a time.

I also bought tencel shams from pottery barn and together the combination feels like heaven. I even bought tencel shams from west elm as well just to have a variety of color. The tencel material feels so nice! I can’t explain it but it is soft and luxurious feeling. I liked it so much I even bought a comforter although I haven’t tried that out yet.

I also have the purple pillows and I don’t like them at all. I purchased two with my new mattress and I hated the way they felt. They are in the closet now collecting dust.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite pillows came from a local craft/fabric store. It was under $20 but amazing. I forget.the details. Just suggesting as a place to check for some different options.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am super sensitive. I travel (when I used to travel) with my pillows. When we went to Italy I took my pillows. That is how picky I am about pillows.

I wish I could be of some help but the way I find comfortable pillows is through trial and error.
I think they are fiber filled pillows that I am currently sleeping on and they are very comfy. Just the right give.

We replace our pillows every year or so. And it is always trial and error. We go to the store and we try each pillow. I need one that isn't hard or soft but somewhere in between leaning more towards the soft side. It's a process. I end up buying several and the ones I don't like Greg uses as he isn't picky at all with pillows and can fall asleep pretty much with any pillow.

I just goggled fiber filled pillows. FYI:

"fiber pillows are resilient, providing consistent support levels across the entire pillow. Fiber pillows tend to sleep cooler than memory foam, as they don't retain as much heat."

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly don’t know much about pillows, but I do suffer from back pain. I recently bought new pillows from the pillow guy when we moved into this house. I purchased 8 all together. 4 when I purchased my new mattress and then I recently purchased another 4 when they had their Labor Day sale.
The ones I purchased were these-
Down Alternative Pillow - King / 2 Pack / Overstuffed Side/Back Sleeper

I love them! I’ve never had a better nights sleep. I kept four for myself and gave one to each of my kids and then we have one in the basement for when my oldest daughter sleeps over.

I bought the overstuffed bc I am a side sleeper but they also have the regular stuffed. You can buy them separately. I bought the two pack bc they gave a better price if you buy two at a time.

I also bought tencel shams from pottery barn and together the combination feels like heaven. I even bought tencel shams from west elm as well just to have a variety of color. The tencel material feels so nice! I can’t explain it but it is soft and luxurious feeling. I liked it so much I even bought a comforter although I haven’t tried that out yet.

I also have the purple pillows and I don’t like them at all. I purchased two with my new mattress and I hated the way they felt. They are in the closet now collecting dust.

I'm not finding the pillow guy on Google?

Missy any idea what brand you liked ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I get all my pillows at Bed Bath and Beyond. Let me see if there’s any identifying info on my current pillows. BRB.
One of my pillows has the tiny label “Real Simple” on it.
HTH.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not finding the pillow guy on Google?

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
We have Coop Home Goods (from Amazon). They are memory foam fill, but it is different from regular memory foam. They provide extra fill so you can add or remove to your liking. I tried a variety of pillows, which my kids and guests now get to enjoy. Then, my friend and her husband recommended the Coop Home Goods. She said they stopped her husbands snoring. We've had them for over two years and I have no complaints. My neck pain after sleeping is very rare now. They did not stop my husbands snoring, but greatly reduced it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have used the specialty neck pillows for the last 30+ years. The latest iteration is a brand name memory foam one that is not heavy at all. I had 2 shoulder injuries at once and I had to learn to sleep on my back. That really helped my neck issues in conjunction with the cervical pillow.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your DH likes down, but you are allergic, I recommend Kapok pillows. It's a natural fill that is soft like down but doesn't bottom out quite like down. It doesn't have the pokes like some down pillows which is a bonus. You can add or take out the kapok filling to achieve precisely the right support and cushion for your needs/preferences - it is infinitely customizable. You can order more fill by itself if you need to which costs less than a new pillow. There are many that come with organic cotton cases. It is environmentally- and health-safe.

As much as I love a soft pillow, I was having such problems with neck and back pain that I personally landed on buckwheat pillows. Nothing about it seems like it would be remotely comfortable, but it is! It supports my neck so perfectly, molding to my curves and not shifting or moving. I sleep through the night (no tossing and turning, no flipping my pillow, no re-bunching my pillow, etc.) and wake up without neck pain or soreness (or sore ears! another thing pillows sometimes do to me!). Just like kapok, you can adjust the fill to meet your needs. Sometimes I find I need a little more support so I put more in; other times I find I want a little more cradling so I take some out. It can change with my changing needs/comfort levels.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I just ordered new pillows yesterday. I replace mine every 18 months or so. I always replace the same pillows from llbean. I go for the medium. I find them so comfortable and they wear really well. I could go longer than 18 months but then the "ick" factor gets me of having old pillows so I replace. Here is a copy and paste link:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Do you have an ikea nearby? I was pillow shopping for my son’s dorm when I ran across a huge selection from ikea, and for each style, there was a choice of low or high, and also price points range from $12-65 USD depending on the filling material. The good thing was the exterior of the pillows look the same, so if you like a consistent look (which I do because I have white sheets and pillowcases where patterns show through), I would check ikea.

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
I love love love latex pillows. They're so soft and bouncy but cradle your head and neck nicely when you lay down. I get the high profile plush ones while my DH gets low profile firm. Also they're hypoallergenic! =)2

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
So many good ideas- thank you all!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results