shape
carat
color
clarity

Pilates/ Yoga or other DVD that you use and don''t get bored?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I am wondering if any of you use any of the DVD for at home program? I heard total yoga with Tracey Rich is good, my problem is I don''t stick to it and find them boring.Any recommendations? I am looking for something basic that I would actually stick to.Thanks

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Are you specifically looking for Yoga or any home exercise DVDs?

I''ve found that I do best when I have a pretty large selection of DVDs to work from. I get less bored with them that way. And, it lets me tailor my workout to how I feel that day.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Nicky: basicaly I need something that will keep me going, my treadmill has become a nice piece to have without much use , so I need something to keep going thanks

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I never got bored with Winsor Pilates. Of course, all pilates has to be done basically in the same order (if not the same exact motions) every time, so if you got bored with one, you're probably bored with 'em all.
4.gif

Anyway I like Mari Winsor because she explains things well, and because there's no ****-esque music in the background, a la "The Firm" tapes.
9.gif

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Ok, if you''re not specifically looking for Pilates, I can offer some suggestions! :D

Even after a couple of years using them, I still REALLY like Leslie Sansone''s Walk Away the Pounds series. She''s got a ton of them out now, with each one having a distinctly different feel to it. I''ve been using the Walk and Jog DVD quite a bit recently. In-home walking sounds weird, but she makes it fun. And the workouts are all over the map in terms of difficulty and duration...everything from a brisk 20 minutes out to 5 miles.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I would not start yoga at home, get a good class for about 2 years and then you can take it on your own. If it's not intense enough there is not point and if it is - then you need guidance not to injure yourself.

just my 2 cents, you spend more on a yoga teacher but it worth it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 3:00:26 PM
Author: Pricescope
I would not start yoga at home, get a good class for about 2 years and then you can take it on your own. If it''s not intense enough there is not point and if it is - then you need guidance not to injure yourself.

just my 2 cents, you spend more on a yoga teacher but it worth it.

I agree w/Irina. It was really hard for me to do yoga at first because I am of the going going going mentality (never slow down). It is so good for you! I love it and instructors really do help since sometimes you don''t even know you have bad form. Ask around or see if you can try a class out for free somewhere.
2.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
A former room mate and I used to do Pilates with Denise something or other (She is blonde and wears a white unitard), and we never got bored of it. Of course that could be because we giggled at lots of the little lines she uses. Every now and then we still use Denise quotes in conversation.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to all of you.Lots of good ideas here.just wonderig about the one walk away the pounds . IS it specifically for walking on treadmill? I have a treadmill already? So maybe I could use it.BTW I am not a total beginner and did take some classes of yoga including bikram yoga.I have some basic understanding and I am going to take classes again starting next week (in July )
I want to be able to do it at home as well and having the treadmill would like to just make it more interesting so I would stick to it.Keep the suggestions coming please and thanks

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet if you ask your instructor she will have good suggestions based on how advanced you are at yoga. I like all the Rodney Lee Yoga dvd''s; do a search by Rodney Lee on Amazon.com and they should pop up. Also, your local library usually has a selection of dvd''s that you can check out. Hope that helps
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Do you have a subscription to Netflix? My husband and I had a subscription to it for over a year before I checked to see if any of the exercise videos I was interested in were available there and nearly all of them are! I''ve found that I can "rent" nearly EVERY yoga and aerobic video that looks interesting and keep it for as long as I like and then when I get bored, I sent it back. This has worked out so nicely.

I got rid of all the old DVDs that I didn''t like and have instead streamlined my collection to a small stack of DVDs that I love and I alternate them with various ones I rent from netflix to keep up the variety.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite video of all time is Kathy Smith''s body basics, but it is on video, would have to find it second-hand. It is really basic but keeps you toned. I often break it up so do the warm up/arms/aerobics in one chunk, and then the stomach/butt/cool down together (usually skip the leg part).
Downside I wish it was on DVD so I could skip to the different sections, oh well.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks again: re netflix subscription ? No I don''t have it , Im in Canada and sometimes they are not available here.I basicaly want to do something on my own, that was the idea of treadmill, but I lack motivation to go there and walk.I feel if I do more things then maybe I will stick with it cause I hope this to be interesting and enjoyable.Thanks and yes I will ask the instructor when I join.It does not have to be yoga , just something to keep me there so I can do the work and not get bored.Thanks

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scarleta, on the treadmill topic, do you have an iPod or MP3 player? Sometimes I think the music is what it takes to keep a treadmill or elliptical workout interesting. Also, you might try alternating short treadmill workouts, say 10-15 minutes at a higher incline, with longer (20-30 min.) ones at a lower incline, or vice versa. You definitely have to mix things up with a treadmill because I know as well as anyone how boring they can become. It''s like walking outside even, you have to vary your route so it doesn''t become boring as well.

I don''t know if you have cable or if it''s called cable in Canada, but we have a program called exerciseTV from our provider and it has a ton of great workouts for free. You might check your menu on the t.v. and see if anything like that is offered on yours. I wouldn''t have ever known about mine had it not been for another helpful PS''r who posted about it here!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks a lot will check it out re cable.WE have TV in the room, so if there is anyting to keep me there and not bored surely it sounds like a great idea..Thanks

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I love looking at the top selling fitness/yoga DVDs at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd/14105421/ref=pd_ts_c_th_head/002-7231271-7882465?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_r=0QFR50TVZ3ZZ09715SJE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=236692701&pf_rd_i=578324

As you can see, yoga videos really top the list! Just yesterday I purchased #2, Kundalini yoga for beginners & beyond, it had great reviews. A lot of people said they loved it, plus any other video by Ann Brett & Ravi Singh. Usually when you've got 205 fantastic reviews, that's a good sign
1.gif

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 4:51:41 PM
Author: scarleta
Thanks to all of you.Lots of good ideas here.just wonderig about the one walk away the pounds . IS it specifically for walking on treadmill? I have a treadmill already? So maybe I could use it.BTW I am not a total beginner and did take some classes of yoga including bikram yoga.I have some basic understanding and I am going to take classes again starting next week (in July )
I want to be able to do it at home as well and having the treadmill would like to just make it more interesting so I would stick to it.Keep the suggestions coming please and thanks
The Walk Away the Pounds series isn''t meant for treadmill use. It''s a floor program...has lots of low kicks, side-steps and patterned footwork. It''s easy, though...nothing like dancing.

sparklefan

Rough_Rock
Scarleta, check out www.collagevideo.com and www.videofitness.com. Collage has video clips and review. Video Fitness has video reviews and a fairly active reader forum. Both will give you insight into great fitness videos.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I am a huge fan of the Billy Blanks Tae Bo tapes. I get them on Amazon for pretty cheap and there is a large variety. They are fast-paced and I just keep switching around so I don''t get bored.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results