shape
carat
color
clarity

Picky ruby color help!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, thanks in advance!

I joined a bit over a year ago while picking out an engagement ring. (Anyone curious about what I picked, I made a thread. I wouldn't leave you hanging like that! )

Anyway, here's the story: my mom's sister has a supposed 2ct ruby solitaire that she bought years ago from someone she knew for a squat $2,000. I have never seen this ring, but my mom has and has lusted after it ever since.

Now, I have my doubt that this is a untreated ruby. It may be lab, filled, heated, or maybe even a rubillite or high quality garnet? I've never even seen a picture of it. I don't even know if it was eye clean or cloudy. Hell, she doesn't even remember the shape! All she remembers is the size and color.

Here's where my doubt comes from: according to my mom, it is the perfect shade of red. She likes the darker reds, ones with no pink tone, hue, nothing pinkish. Doesn't sound like any attainable $2,000 two ct rubies I can think of!

The problem comes from I'd like to get my mom a similar gem. I definitely cannot afford an untreated ruby, nor a heated one.

With that I'm looking for a filled/healed or lab ruby, I'd even be willing to get her a garnet if it's the right color. (My mom says she doesn't like them, but she hasn't seen high quality ones.) But I am having a hard time finding one at a reasonable price. I've seen the Chatham ones at Africagems and while beautiful, they seem pretty pricey.

What is a fair price for what I'm looking for, and do you have any leads you can give me?

Preferred shapes in order are: cushion, round, emerald. And here's what I think my mom is talking about shade-wise: the ruby and garnet. Again thank you!

Attachments

• 20200725_205429.jpg
    20200725_205429.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If at all possible I would call your aunt and ask for a picture of the ring if she still has it. She will ask you why, you tell her your mom has often talked about how much she admires it and that you are going to attempt to get her a similar gem. The aunt, having grown tired of the same ole' ring after all this time and wanting something new suggest she'll let you buy it from her for what she paid. Ta-da! It may not work out that way but that's what I'm thinking - lol. At the very least you would have a better idea of what to look for. Good luck!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Funny thing... she ended up giving it to my mom a few years ago, but then they had a falling out and took it back to give to her step-daughter. :confused2:

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, it was really a rotten thing to do. My mom is a total tomboy and doesn't like much jewelry, but loved that ring. And now, she wouldn't even take it back since it's tainted with bad memories. So, now, I want to give her a new one to love!

She has bought so many fake and cheap rubies looking for the darker color, but they are all the popular pink tinted ones. *Sigh*

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny thing... she ended up giving it to my mom a few years ago, but then they had a falling out and took it back to give to her step-daughter. :confused2:

Oh that's so sad
Familiars are so silly some times

I hope her step daughter loves it and is worthy of such a gift

good luck with your red

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, it was really a rotten thing to do. My mom is a total tomboy and doesn't like much jewelry, but loved that ring. And now, she wouldn't even take it back since it's tainted with bad memories. So, now, I want to give her a new one to love!

She has bought so many fake and cheap rubies looking for the darker color, but they are all the popular pink tinted ones. *Sigh*

This is the perfect project for you =)2

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I think so too, she's done so much for so many of our family, including, she deserves the same in kind.

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Oh, whoops, I was mistaken. She gave/is going to give it to her granddaughter-in-law.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I think so too, she's done so much for so many of our family, including, she deserves the same in kind.

Im not really a ruby kind of girl
Hopefully your mom's ring will changed my mind =)2
Im hoping to see someone post some garnet options because rubys are so exspensive

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

You are so sweet and I wish you success in your search. Garnets can look dark in some lighting so you can consider rubellite too?
I’ve a lot of reservations about filled rubies so I won’t recommend them. Perhaps red spinel too

Here is my rubellite ring with a loose ruby in a ring holder. I actually preferred my rubellite over the ruby in this case, but of course there are many stunning rubies irl and I won’t say no to them. But hey, a 5 ct rubellite is so much more affordable than a 5 ct ruby... so just putting it out here as an example for consideration.

Anyway litnon has this very affordable ruby

And this red spinel

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Icy_jade: your jewels are gorgeous! I would consider Rubillite too, if it was dark enough. I don't know that she'd care if it blacks out in low light, she just likes that darker red lol.

VividRed: Ooh, thanks! I think that is a viable option for Christmas!

I'm glad her ideal setting is a plain yellow solitaire! That means that I can focus on getting the right stone.

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Hi Niffler! I actually did find your post, and yours is just gorgeous!

Unfortunately, Raj said he did not have rough right now to cut, and he only has 5mm. But I have him favorited on Etsy.

I just want to add a quick thank you again to everyone for their help and well wishes! You guys are the best!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@Obscura Ian Robinson of PrecisionCutGems on Etsy may have some material. @paragon1234 has had a good experience with him. ;)2

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Well, good news! :D

I found a lab ruby that is pre-loved with a small bit of facet wear for a song. I really wanted to get her a cushion but a round is good too. Hopefully it is the right shade.

I'm going to be picking up a garnet too, just to see which she likes better since it's so much less than I was intending to spend. il_794xN.2379085176_jxjg.jpg il_794xN.2379078384_hvtj.jpg

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Will do! The garnet I think I'm going to wait until after I see what I think about the lab.

And to sneakily see what my mom thinks of the color by pretending it is an expensive one, "just to see what shade she likes" only to find months later on her birthday it is her new ring. :Up_to_something:

Well, if I can wait til her birthday to give it to her, that is. Lol

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
For anyone that is interested, I posted a picture of the lab in the fashion jewelry forum (so I don't break the rules!)

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at this EXACT ruby a couple of days ago (recognized the seller’s hand and tablecloth!) I’ve bought from her several times in the past and they’ve always been far prettier in person than in the photos. I’m sure you’ll love it when it arrives. :kiss2:

ETA: apparently I’m late to the party and it’s already there!

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
@sydneyatl hope I didn't statch it from under you! I've bought from her too, and had the same experience, they are so much prettier! And she is just awesome!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
No not at all!! But you did inspire me to get the heart lab ruby I’d been eyeing for awhile in her store. I’ll post a pic later tonight in the fabulous fashion forum :)

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
I saw that one too! It has a really good color!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results