shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking the best performing small MRB

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
This will be to set in a pendant used for everyday wear. I am looking for something .30-.40 in size and obviously want as much light return as possible. I am comfortable with a G or above color and probably V2 clarity. Am I better off to pay the premium for a .30 ACA from Whiteflash? Is there an equivalent at BGD to look at as well? How do their prices compare? It looks like I could get a .40 at James Allan for the same pricing, but I'm not sure if it's a lot harder to find a good stone there. Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Last edited:

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I have my original, ungraded engagement stone now set in a pendant. It is .50 ct. While lovely, it does not sparkle like my super ideal studs and 5 stone band. You can’t go wrong with an ACA from Whiteflash or a BGD stone or an HPD. All three will be top performers. I would hands down go the super ideal route

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
If I wanted an amazing stone with amazing upgrade policy: WF

If I just wanted an amazing stone for now: WF or BG

If size and cost are more important, I would have the people here help me pick the best option from Blue Nile or JA.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
I have my original, ungraded engagement stone now set in a pendant. It is .50 ct. While lovely, it does not sparkle like my super ideal studs and 5 stone band. You can’t go wrong with an ACA from Whiteflash or a BGD stone or an HPD. All three will be top performers. I would hands down go the super ideal route

Sorry, what is a HPD? High performing diamond?

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
If I wanted an amazing stone with amazing upgrade policy: WF

If I just wanted an amazing stone for now: WF or BG

If size and cost are more important, I would have the people here help me pick the best option from Blue Nile or JA.

I think that the best performing diamond is what I want most, but I'm also wondering if there is much visual difference between a .30 and .40 in a pendant.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
HPD-High Performance Diamonds. A trusted vendor of super ideal stones. Here is a pic of sizes for you to view. From left to right, .50, .40, .30.
image.jpg

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
As an example, would this be similar to a Whiteflash ACA:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful!

Brian Gavin used to work for WF. Feedback on this site says BGD stones are gorgeous but the WF upgrade policy is more generous so that's often a deciding factor. If this will be a forever stone, that won't be an issue so you can select from any of the preferred super ideal vendors (HPD, BGD, WF).

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, I believe it would. Here’s another option from Whiteflash.

Wire price is $671.00, so a bit more. If your intent is to upgrade, they have a more flexible policy. Something to consider.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Im sorry, that link isn’t what I was trying to get to you. Here’s a screen shot of the stone I found.

96636600-9309-444B-AE54-B6C9B9F5DFAB.jpg

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I believe Brian was the cutter behind ACA stones originally before he left Whiteflash to start BGD. I own several BGD stones and they are gorgeous and absolutely comparable to Whiteflash ACA stones. If you don’t need the Whiteflash upgrade policy than I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from BGD.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Holy chunky monkey arrows!

This baby is rocking 74 LGF's with sexy 54 table & 15.7% crown height to boot. :love::love:

I love fat arrows & small tables. Normally in super ideal land, LGF's are going to land in the 76-78 range. Smaller LGF = fatter arrows & increased performance in the low light/dim lighting.

200.gif

FWIW, I bought my wife's stone from BGD and had a really great experience.

As others said, the upgrade policy is something to think about. We started at H-VS2. With BGD upgrades, you have to spend $1 more AND upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: color, clarity or carat. This can be a pain in the rear when you start at higher color & clarity as each upgrade may push your dollars up more & more.

WF & HPD trade polices are more generous. Spend $1 more and trade however your heart pleases. No other conditions.

Also, while I prefer VS2+ clarity myself, I think on a smaller stone you could easily get by with a nice eye clean SI1. Thing is, usually it's pennies for increased clarity at this size so it may not make any sense to fret over it.

1620323670225.png

1620323729099.png

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
Holy chunky monkey arrows!

This baby is rocking 74 LGF's with sexy 54 table & 15.7% crown height to boot. :love::love:

I love fat arrows & small tables. Normally in super ideal land, LGF's are going to land in the 76-78 range. Smaller LGF = fatter arrows & increased performance in the low light/dim lighting.

200.gif

FWIW, I bought my wife's stone from BGD and had a really great experience.

OMG, I love the stats on that stone! Chunky monkey indeed. 54 table, 74 LGF and 15.7% crown!. It looks amazing in the videos.

I have 4 stones from BGD (two 0.3 ct and two ~1.0 ct, all used for earrings), and they are all amazing. Total sparkle bottoms. Absolutely on par with WF ACA.

Someone please buy that before I convince myself to buy something I absolutely don't need. :)

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

Amazing stats on this diamond, love it!!! If only I could get the same stats in a 3ct. super ideal.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I want to point out though that if BGD will take into consideration the amount of your upgrade. Meaning if you start at an F VS1 0.30 and later on want to go to a 0.50 size stone they might not be sticklers on it having to be a D or E colored stone or a VVS clarity. At least that was what I was told when I was asking about upgrading some earrings I have. They do take into account the whole upgrade amount as well. I think they just don't want people upgrading and spending like $100 more.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I love the stats on that stone! Chunky monkey indeed. 54 table, 74 LGF and 15.7% crown!. It looks amazing in the videos.

I have 4 stones from BGD (two 0.3 ct and two ~1.0 ct, all used for earrings), and they are all amazing. Total sparkle bottoms. Absolutely on par with WF ACA.

Someone please buy that before I convince myself to buy something I absolutely don't need. :)

You have no idea how close I was to just buying. I have no need for it but am sure the wife would love a pendant. Or maybe I can incorporate into a man’s band. For $600 I’m still tempted, lol.

I want to point out though that if BGD will take into consideration the amount of your upgrade. Meaning if you start at an F VS1 0.30 and later on want to go to a 0.50 size stone they might not be sticklers on it having to be a D or E colored stone or a VVS clarity. At least that was what I was told when I was asking about upgrading some earrings I have. They do take into account the whole upgrade amount as well. I think they just don't want people upgrading and spending like $100 more.

Thanks for sharing that. In many ways this doesn’t surprise me. Working with Lesley when I bought my wife’s stone, it seems like they do what makes sense even if it’s not black & white.

However, I do wish they would change their WRITTEN policy to reflect that. I think it costs them sales and also may deter existing customers to upgrade as quickly as they would like.

Wonder if Brian would try to custom cut to specific proportions in sizes that are common?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonder if Brian would try to custom cut to specific proportions in sizes that are common?
Believe me I try!. No cutter can promise you a specific proportions b/c the rough may not allow them to do so.

IOW, the rough itself dictate its own proportions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results