shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos of yourselves in your home

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I know this has been asked before but I am having trouble finding threads with the search function.

Where is it acceptable to hang a larger than 8x10 picture of you and DH in your home? Only in the bedroom? Nowhere?

DH and I are decorating our new apartment and I really want to take this opportunity to hang one of our wedding photos. I''m thinking living room or bedroom, but I don''t want it to look funny. I really wanted to get one of those canvas wrap prints. Any suggestions on how this could be tastefully done?

Any suggestions on what type of picture to pick?
Probably not this one, huh?
9.gif
27.gif
9.gif
12.gif

jokepicmia.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I think it looks fine when a couple has a framed picture of themselves among other framed pictures of their loved ones, either as one of a bunch on a wall, or on shelves.

I do think it''s a bit strange when couples have a large photo of themselves framed and hung on the wall alone. When we were shopping for houses we saw a couple homes that had several framed wedding photos of the couple all over the walls, it looked very strange.

And I definitely think you''re right that the photo you attached would be a bit embarrassing for some guests to see! It''s a gorgeous shot, though--maybe it would be perfect in a 5 X 7 frame on your nightstand?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 1:59:59 AM
Author: Haven
Hmmm, I think it looks fine when a couple has a framed picture of themselves among other framed pictures of their loved ones, either as one of a bunch on a wall, or on shelves.

I do think it''s a bit strange when couples have a large photo of themselves framed and hung on the wall alone. When we were shopping for houses we saw a couple homes that had several framed wedding photos of the couple all over the walls, it looked very strange.

And I definitely think you''re right that the photo you attached would be a bit embarrassing for some guests to see! It''s a gorgeous shot, though--maybe it would be perfect in a 5 X 7 frame on your nightstand?

Ditto all this...I''d only hang a large photo of me and my husband in our bedroom. When I was a kid, a friend of mine''s mother got remarried, and she hung a HUGE wedding portrait of herself in their dining room. I mean, it''s probably 2 feet by 3 feet with an ornate gold frame. It''s a beautiful photo, but I thought it was strange even as a kid! So yeah, I''m not a fan!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Haven and Thing2of2- - Yes, above picture was my favorite shot from our wedding day but... as it is a little too personal it probably will never be framed. It is in our album though! Haha. I guess my main issue is that I would like a picture of our wedding day somewhere in my house but we don''t have any pictures with anyone else, since we eloped.

How do you guys feel about a more artsy picture that is shot from far away that you can''t tell it is us? Or of us saying or vows? I don''t mean one of both of us smiling at the camera (I have very few of those anyway).

Let me see if I can post an example....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think any kind of picture (as long as it isn''t too sexy) is really lovely as long as it isn''t displayed as a huge central piece.

And mia, this is totally off topic, but your avatar pug slays me every time! (I''ve probably told you this before, but I can''t help myself.) The slight head tilt, the toes pointed outward, OHMIGOSH. Way too cute for words.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 1:43:27 PM
Author: mia1181
Thanks Haven and Thing2of2- - Yes, above picture was my favorite shot from our wedding day but... as it is a little too personal it probably will never be framed. It is in our album though! Haha. I guess my main issue is that I would like a picture of our wedding day somewhere in my house but we don't have any pictures with anyone else, since we eloped.

How do you guys feel about a more artsy picture that is shot from far away that you can't tell it is us? Or of us saying or vows? I don't mean one of both of us smiling at the camera (I have very few of those anyway).

Let me see if I can post an example....

I think an artsy one shot from far away would be perfect to have blown up. (I've been thinking about doing that with one of the photos from our engagement shoot, actually. It's super far away and no one would ever know it was us unless we told them.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a 5x7 framed (close up) photo here and there of you two on your wedding day, but a big blown up one just seems a little narcissistic to me. Maybe it shouldn't but it does!

ETA just wanted to say that I seriously LOVE the first photo you posted, though! I think that would be great blown up and put in your bedroom!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
We ended up blowing up a 11x16 photo of our bridal party (placed in the living room) and a candid shot of me and my husband (placed in the bedroom)... They are framed in a thick dark wood modern frame. The pics are blk and white and are on photographic paper, not canvas (which I find cheesy).

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
K, we have a ton of photos around the house, so I'm sure we look like complete narcissists, but here we go -

1) 8x10 wedding photo over the mantle - it used to be a posed, formal photo and I recently changed it out to one of the candids of walking down the aisle, changed the colors so it was more antique, and it's hung in a cluster with two smaller pieces that we bought on our honeymoon. I like it a LOT better now that it's softer and not posed.

2) 8x10 as you walk into our bedroom, kissing photo in sepia. It's completely visible from our hallway unless the door is closed, so anyone who seeks out the bathroom in our house will probably see a glance of it.

3) 8x10 b&w engagement photo of our faces, with everyone's signatures - it was our "guestbook." Next time we're near our hometowns, I might go snap a photo of just the place where we were married and switch this out with a still life b&w. It's funny, wanting to switch out the photos has less to do with being embarrassed of having so many photos of us, but more I'm sick of seeing the same photo!

There's also a few 5x7s around, but mostly confined to the bedroom.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I have a picture of us on our night stand, tv stand, and a collage of 3 pictures in the hallway . I think its completely normal and from what I gather when I have been a guest in someones home, others think its normal too

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a big fan of photos on the wall. I usually have a small display in a family only type of room, but mainly of my son.

Funny story. My ex-husband''s aunt and uncle bought a new house. They gave us the tour, including the master bedroom. Massive BOUDOIR PHOTO on the wall of his 50 YEAR OLD AUNT!!!! WAY too personal, IMO.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
This is a great thread! I am about to choose our wedding photos to print out as well. Most of my favorites are pretty artistic and less of a formal wedding photo. I plan on printing and matting a nice 8x10 or 11x13 for the living room but after reading this thread I think I''ll just put it in our bedroom. Looking at our wedding photos makes me really happy so I think it will be nice to see it every morning when I wake up.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A formal portrait is so . . . well . . . formal. But a candid, unstuffy, in-the-moment photo of the two of you on your wedding day should be perfect for any room. (I''d probably not pick the rolling-in-the-sand shot, though.
2.gif
)

tlh

Ideal_Rock
we have lots of photos up. But mainly because we are so far away from family. It is nice to have photos to remind us of fun times with our relatives and old friends. We actually have ours in the living room since that is where we spend the most time.. but there are actually photos that are FUNNY in the guest bathroom. One is of me getting attacked by a spider monkey, and of my hubs chilling with an orangatang (sp). They are funny! The funniest part is that it is our cat''s room also (where she gets fed and does her business) and the photos are right by her food dish. They are quite commical, and everyone is always like... WHOA are those REAL! haha! It is funny to look at after you''re done pooping or whatever...
28.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 2:24:30 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
I am not a big fan of photos on the wall. I usually have a small display in a family only type of room, but mainly of my son.

Funny story. My ex-husband''s aunt and uncle bought a new house. They gave us the tour, including the master bedroom. Massive BOUDOIR PHOTO on the wall of his 50 YEAR OLD AUNT!!!! WAY too personal, IMO.
LOL! I was watching a current affairs news story last night about a couple (40 - 50''s maybe) who were trying to adopt a little girl from Bali and they were having problems with Immigration officials and Visas and what not, it was all very sad and heart breaking, but, in the background on the wall behind the couple was this huge boudoir photo of the woman in leopard print. eeew!!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
mia1181 definitely blow up that photo and hang it in your house. I love it.
I don''t think there''s anything distasteful about it.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 12:30:22 PM
Author: noelwr
mia1181 definitely blow up that photo and hang it in your house. I love it.

I don''t think there''s anything distasteful about it.

Ditto! I think that that would look lovely in a master bathroom.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
mia - did you end up doing it?

you inspired me so I had one of our photos blown up onto canvas and we''re going to hang it in our living room above the couch. I hope it turns out well because I actually want to do the same with another and hang it up in our bedroom.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Personally? It''s my house, I hang whatever the heck I want. No, I wouldn''t put nekkie photos in the living room or anything, but I see nothing wrong with your "rolling in the sand" pic - I''d put it in my living room proudly.

But then, maybe I have more open-minded friends/family that wouldn''t mind it. If you have a grandma or aunt that would find it scandalous, just keep it in the bedroom if you must.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
We are looking to buy a home, and we toured an apartment in which the couple had two huge wedding photos -- the same photo. One in the living room, one in the bedroom. I guess they must really love that photo.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is totally appropriate and acceptable to frame and display wedding pictures, anywhere in the home! The wedding marks the beginning of your marriage, which should be celebrated and honored. I mean, how much $$ is spent on the photographer? The dress decision is labored over, the hair, makeup, jewelry, etc., so why not display the photos, so all of that effort can be enjoyed every day! Wedding photos are a beautiful reminder of the love and relationship a couple shares. Keep the more intimate shots for the bedroom if that makes you more comfortable, but frame and hang others in your home...pics should not be closed away in a book.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 3:04:58 PM
Author: Ara Ann
pics should not be closed away in a book.
amen to that!
12.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 10:43:53 AM
Author: noelwr
mia - did you end up doing it?

you inspired me so I had one of our photos blown up onto canvas and we''re going to hang it in our living room above the couch. I hope it turns out well because I actually want to do the same with another and hang it up in our bedroom.
Hahaha! Well you move faster than me... that''s for sure!

I am going to! But I just haven''t gotten around to it yet. Sorry I''ve abandoned this thread. I have been so busy with school and work. I think we will do a big blown up one of us but far away. Maybe this one? For the bedroom....

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
oops forgot to upload...

miabedroom.jpg

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
and then the first one maybe or something similar (but obviously smaller) for the master bath , where I''m sure noone will see.

And then I think somewhere in the Living room or dining room I would like to do a cluster of 4x6''s of not just us but family. I like this little sequence of pictures.

miacoll1.jpg

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
or maybe black & white:

miacoll2.jpg

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Mia, these are gorgeous photos! I think you should go and do the sequence and the one before it in any part of your home. You could do the water/beach one and surround that with family photos. As for the sequence shots you can have that on one of your narrower walls. Of if you''d prefer, your bathroom. These pictures are artfully done. Why not display them for all to see. I guess in our family, pictures are very important. There are tons of family pictures, big ones, all over our homes. Granted after a few years and there''s kids involved, most of the family''s wedding pictures go into albums to be replaced by family pics but I say enjoy them! They''re awesome pictures!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Mia, we have a large photo of ourselves up in our family room, it was our guestbook as well (and I know some think that is tacky/silly but we love all the kind sentiments and I read it often and remember how glad I am to have married my husband and be surrounded by such loving family and friends). I haven''t done much decorating but when we move I intend to print mroe wedding photos and add them around the house in some way, along side pictures of our parents on their wedding day (we have those up already in the hall). I love having pictures of our family, including us, up in the house, they make me happy. Anyone who knows us is well aware we aren''t narcassistic and anyone who thinks we are wouldn''t be in our house anyways.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I am still waiting for mine to be delivered... ordered it 2 weeks ago.
29.gif

in the mean time, I printed out 4 close-ups (2 of me, 2 of him) and one of us together on the biggest size paper that fits in my photo printer and hung those 5 up with the rest of our photo collection. and also 3 smaller ones of us and family members. people are going to wonder if the only time we ever had photos taken was at our wedding...

mia - you have so many lovely photos to choose from!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I hate looking at pictures of myself, so we have zero pictures of us around the house. Now that I think of it, I don't really have many personal pictures in my house ... I have maybe one or two of my dogs growing up, one of my parents, and that's about it; none of DH's family. I honestly don't think we'll frame any of our wedding pictures except to give to the parents for their houses.

But I don't have problems with pictures of other people in their own homes. Except I do have friends who have a huuuge canvas portrait of a wedding picture above their fireplace. I mean this thing is like 2'x3' at least. Haha. To each their own, but it is a little odd, IMO. (ETA: I would understand more if it was very artistic, but it's just a simple portrait shot of them)

I also have friends who framed a ton of 4"x6" pictures of friends (with and without the couple) from vacations, parties, and events and hung them up in kind of a collage on one of their walls. It's very cool! But something I doubt I'd do in my own home.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results