shape
carat
color
clarity

photogs: new rebel T1i

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering when Canon would put out something to rival the Nikon D90. In fact, Canon''s is better - the D90 doesn''t shoot HD, just video, I believe.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that looks amazing. Sigh...maybe next year...

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Get it!! These are so great. I have the Nikon D90, LOVE it - I''m pretty sure it does HD video. I just haven''t used it because I don''t have an HD TV, haha.
39.gif
But all my videos I''ve taken have HD capability.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 12:13:10 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Get it!! These are so great. I have the Nikon D90, LOVE it - I''m pretty sure it does HD video. I just haven''t used it because I don''t have an HD TV, haha.
39.gif
But all my videos I''ve taken have HD capability.
We have the Nikon D90 as well Luvthemstrawberries and ours is HD Video.

Cool camera, get one!!!
31.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a timely thread. . .

Luvthemstrawberries and Skippy - do you feel the D90 is a good walking around camera? Do either of you ladies have any links to maybe some pics you've taken before the D90, and now after the D90?

I have a Canon SD400 right now and I shoot mostly on manual mode. I'm afraid I'm outgrowing the SD400 and I'm thinking of going D80 or D90, but I'm wanting to get honest opinions on whether you guys find them useful, how you got used to shooting in manual modes, did you even use manual modes on your point and shoots?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated! :)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
jcrow wants one as well
9.gif

i just spent a good part of my morning reading all about it.

this link is pretty helpful.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
D90 is 720p at 30fps. T1i will do that and 1080p at 20fps

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one thing I am mad about is no AF Microadjustment.
They should have included it.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 1:39:51 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Luvthemstrawberries and Skippy - do you feel the D90 is a good walking around camera? Do either of you ladies have any links to maybe some pics you''ve taken before the D90, and now after the D90?

I have a Canon SD400 right now and I shoot mostly on manual mode. I''m afraid I''m outgrowing the SD400 and I''m thinking of going D80 or D90, but I''m wanting to get honest opinions on whether you guys find them useful, how you got used to shooting in manual modes, did you even use manual modes on your point and shoots?

LTP - I don''t have any with me at the moment, but when I get home this evening I can try to show you some. We recently went snowboarding in Canada and I have some fabulous photos we took with the D90, and some I took just with my small point and shoot I kept in my coat. I think they''d show some good comparisons, so I''ll try to get that for you.

I do feel it''s a good walking around camera, especially with the strap. I wore it around a lot just carrying it around my neck. It''s not too heavy for that, and feels great in hand. I wouldn''t go so far as to hike or do a lot of moving around with it out around my neck, which is why we got the bag below - the Tamrac Velocity 8x, I think (there are other sizes too). It slings around your body and is really easy to pull the camera out of, but it''s very comfortable to carry around. But otherwise, when standing and taking pictures for an extended period of time, it was a very comfortable camera to carry and hold around my neck. The bag was also great on the plane - very streamlined, and carried well while walking - plus it was easy to pull around when I wanted some shots in the airport.

I hear you about outgrowing the other one. FI and I both had small point and shoots before this one. He had an older film Canon SLR, which he loved but hardly ever used. But we both really wanted an excellent digital camera. We did a LOT of research, and ended up choosing Nikon and choosing the D90 over the other D''s because of its features. The video is great quality, and is great to have all in one camera when you want it. (If I was looking for excellent video, I''d just get a video camera.) And the D90 has a live view LCD screen too, as the others before it didn''t. Some of them had playback features, but no live view modes for taking the pictures. We used the heck out of the camera in Canada - we filled up 2 4GB memory cards and 1 8GB card, plus both of our point and shoots. I think we took over 1600 photos total. The D90 we also used to take some NEF RAW images of scenery and such, which we can now play with on our computer and are getting some great photos out of. Only better thing in my book about the D40/60/80 are that they''re constantly on sale. D90''s not (that I''ve seen yet), but we got an extra lens on sale and free photo printer with it.

We still have the point and shoots and use them for less important things around the house, or times like snowboarding when I wanted something in my pocket on the mountain. But the D90 is what we''ll use for most of our photos from now on - family functions, trips, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:17:37 AM
Date: 3/25/2009 1:39:51 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Luvthemstrawberries and Skippy - do you feel the D90 is a good walking around camera? Do either of you ladies have any links to maybe some pics you''ve taken before the D90, and now after the D90?

I have a Canon SD400 right now and I shoot mostly on manual mode. I''m afraid I''m outgrowing the SD400 and I''m thinking of going D80 or D90, but I''m wanting to get honest opinions on whether you guys find them useful, how you got used to shooting in manual modes, did you even use manual modes on your point and shoots?

LTP

We did a LOT of research, and ended up choosing Nikon and choosing the D90 over the other D''s because of its features. The video is great quality, and is great to have all in one camera when you want it. (If I was looking for excellent video, I''d just get a video camera.) And the D90 has a live view LCD screen too, as the others before it didn''t. Some of them had playback features, but no live view modes for taking the pictures. EDIT: Actually, the D300 does this too, but for someone that is not THAT serious about taking pictures and just wants a good camera with video for everyday use, the D90 is ideal.

Quoted to bold the area I wanted to mention
1.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:26:28 AM
Author: MonkeyPie

Date: 3/26/2009 11:17:37 AM

LTP

We did a LOT of research, and ended up choosing Nikon and choosing the D90 over the other D''s because of its features. The video is great quality, and is great to have all in one camera when you want it. (If I was looking for excellent video, I''d just get a video camera.) And the D90 has a live view LCD screen too, as the others before it didn''t. Some of them had playback features, but no live view modes for taking the pictures. EDIT: Actually, the D300 does this too, but for someone that is not THAT serious about taking pictures and just wants a good camera with video for everyday use, the D90 is ideal.

Quoted to bold the area I wanted to mention
1.gif
MonkeyPie you are exactly right. Haha I feel sheepish for forgetting about all the other D-s Nikon makes. FI and I didn''t look into those, because as you pointed out, they''re for much more serious photography. We didn''t want to overdo ourselves.
5.gif
We really only considered the D-40 to 90 line. As you said, the D90 was ideal for what we wanted.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
LTP - I didn't address your other question. We used the manual modes a lot. I didn't have much experience with SLR's, so FI taught me some, and we both educated ourselves a lot. The D90 has the standard modes (Action, etc.) and the Automatic and Manual mode. I learned a lot about adjusting in manual, and I used that some. I still used the Automatic mode a lot, and I'd change the Picture Scene modes (I can't remember the term for it off the top of my head, but it's in the menu, not the mode dial on top) - we used the Landscape and Vivid modes a lot - it basically just does the adjusting for you, as far as I know.

I'll use the manual more as we get a tripod and are getting more serious with our photos. I can't wait to play with things and take some shots like the one in MonkeyPie's avatar!!
9.gif

I'm certainly not an expert on cameras, and please, someone correct anything I've said that is mistaken. But I just love the choice we made with the D90. I did want to point out that one of the reasons I remembered we chose Nikon too was that I liked the feel of their cameras in my hand a lot more than Canon's. But that is TOTALLY personal preference. Even Nikon's cameras vary in feel - the D90 was a tad heavier than the D80 I thought, but the features won me over. There are SO many functions with it I still have to learn, and I already think it's worlds better than my "dinky" (in comparison) point and shoot! I also really liked the fun functions, like the fisheye. I probably sound geeky, and these probably exist on all cameras, but my little one before had none of this stuff.

This is the website for the D90 - we used this time and time again, especially the specs, and frequented many forums and websites about it while doing our research. It's also got some awesome examples of photos and video comparisons.
http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d90/en/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results