shape
carat
color
clarity

Photography 101

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it would be useful to have everyone's tips in one place. I'll start:
1. Do not use a cameraphone.
2.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
2. Try taking shots with and without flash to see what looks best
1.gif

3. Use a tripod when possible or support your camera/arm against something to reduce blur
2.gif

4. Photographer should be fully clothed just in case a reflection shows up on something shiny
6.gif

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2007 9:51:35 PM
Author: Love in Bloom
2. Try taking shots with and without flash to see what looks best
1.gif

3. Use a tripod when possible or support your camera/arm against something to reduce blur
2.gif

4. Photographer should be fully clothed just in case a reflection shows up on something shiny
6.gif

#4 - LOL!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamonds will reflect clothing color so if you are wearing orange or yellow don''t freak if your diamond comes out looking yellower than it is IRL.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the number one tip is only two words: MACRO MODE!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clean your stuff, and remove any fluff or lint or fuzz from the prongs! (blushes and admits to not having done this before)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 1:06:40 AM
Author: neatfreak
I think the number one tip is only two words: MACRO MODE!
Macro mode
Turn off the flash
Steady hand
Have the light behind you.
Go outside and find fun props....
Love the flower shots, or those on rocks, nature is always a great backdrop
Have fun.
And if I can do it, well.....
Then anyone can.
3.gif
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!

My camera does not have a separate macro mode. Darn. As for taking photos outside in NY, um...

How does Ellen capture those arrows in her avatar?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 6:55:37 AM
Author: Harriet
My camera does not have a separate macro mode.
Maybe it''s time to get a new camera with a macro mode??
11.gif

widget

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
27.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, you haven''t had that camera that long, I''d take it back and exchange it for one that has macro. I''m sure they''d let you do an exchange.

I have been jotting down tips for pic taking, I was going to do a thread on it, but I''ll just add to this now when I get it done.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I forgot to answer this. The best way is to have a light source, or a greater light source (more concentrated) BEHIND the diamond. I''ll post a pic for you that has 1 window letting in light, off to the side and behind the diamond. It doesn''t have to be really bright, this was in the basement. Windowsills are great for arrow shots. The pic in my av was taken holding my hand up in front of a window, the blinds were down and shut, but the sun was really shining on it.

Basement shot.

Arrow010.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 10:45:54 AM
Author: Ellen
Harriet, you haven''t had that camera that long, I''d take it back and exchange it for one that has macro. I''m sure they''d let you do an exchange.

I have been jotting down tips for pic taking, I was going to do a thread on it, but I''ll just add to this now when I get it done.
Hi Ellen,
It''s actually been lying around for a few years. Oops.
Can''t wait for your tips.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 10:52:47 AM

I forgot to answer this. The best way is to have a light source, or a greater light source (more concentrated) BEHIND the diamond. I''ll post a pic for you that has 1 window letting in light, off to the side and behind the diamond. It doesn''t have to be really bright, this was in the basement. Windowsills are great for arrow shots. The pic in my av was taken holding my hand up in front of a window, the blinds were down and shut, but the sun was really shining on it.

Basement shot.
Thanks, I''ll give it a, um, shot.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Good tips so far.

Another tip - Get a large memory card so you can take a ton of pictures! If you take 100 shots, a few of them are bound to be really good. Getting good diamond photographs takes lots of patience.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
there''s a thread around her of gals using a scanner to get incredible shots of their rings...

so when all else fails: Use a scanner
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet our digital (now missing key pieces... love moving) was quite old and the macro was hard to find... but it was there. Are you certain (and forgive me if you are) that you don''t have a macro function?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 2:42:17 PM
Hi Ellen,
Oh. I don''t know why I thought you had just bought it.

So go buy one!!
11.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
If you have a 10 or 12x zoom you can back off 4 or more feet from your subject and get very good pics. I find when I use macro mode a lot of light is blocked by the camera. By being farther away I think you get less extinction.

Doug

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 4:08:44 PM
Author: Gypsy
Harriet our digital (now missing key pieces... love moving) was quite old and the macro was hard to find... but it was there. Are you certain (and forgive me if you are) that you don''t have a macro function?
There may be one built-in, but there''s no separate macro function.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 4:50:28 PM

Hi Ellen,

So go buy one!!
11.gif
Because I''ve been inflicting my cameraphone on you all.
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 5:01:14 PM
Author: colormyworld
If you have a 10 or 12x zoom you can back off 4 or more feet from your subject and get very good pics. I find when I use macro mode a lot of light is blocked by the camera. By being farther away I think you get less extinction.

Doug
I''ll try that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 7:19:30 PM

Hi Ellen,

So go buy one!!
11.gif
9.gif
I really wish I oculd disagree with the terminology... but the last time you posted pics of the smaller Rhod''s with your studs I FELT like you were inflicting. LOL.
2.gif

ger100

Shiny_Rock
This is a great subject. I have not had much success photographing gems/jewelry on my desk in front of my comp...wonder why.
9.gif

However, having read through the postings, it reminds of how I photograph antique glass! (haven''t done it in a while).

Outdoors or indirect daylight from the back is the best lighting for glass. When I photograph some glass with a metal trim or stand I "fill in" with a flash (obviously from the front), since the front metal doesn''t transmit the light on its own.

As far as macros. They work fine if I hold up the glass directly in front of the window (no tripod needed), then go back and use the built-in internal enlarger. I MUST try this technique on gemstones!

My camera is a Sony Cybershot, 3.3 megapixels, about 4-5 years old. It did take me 2 hours to read through the manual before I used it when I got it.
37.gif
Oh, and I have a very old Adobe Photoshop Deluxe Business edition for fixing colors, enhancing contrast, making the pix smaller for net transmitting, etc.

Thanks for the topic.
Ger

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2007 7:22:43 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 5/29/2007 7:19:30 PM

Hi Ellen,

So go buy one!!
11.gif
9.gif
I really wish I oculd disagree with the terminology... but the last time you posted pics of the smaller Rhod''s with your studs I FELT like you were inflicting. LOL.
2.gif
I know, I know.
9.gif
I was too lazy to retrieve the camera. It was hiding somewhere. Hopefully, so are my pear studs.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ger,
It''s really difficult to photograph stones, isn''t it? Even LM uses a professional photographer!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results