shape
carat
color
clarity

photographers

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many hours of photography did you have? Did you wish you had more? Less?
Hair/makeup too? Just getting into dress?

Of course the photographers either say that more is better or that it is entirely up to what we'd prefer...

So what experiences did you all have? Did you like what you did or wish you'd done something different?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
We had about 8 hours of photography with two photographers. One went with the guys when they were getting ready and one with the ladies. I had my hair and makeup done before photos, but the getting in the dress and touching up stuff was photographed. I think we had a ton of time with them, so I liked the 8 hours and wouldn't have changed it.

My one regret is that we didn't have a videographer. I would LOVE to watch a video of our day..that is one thing I would have changed.

audball

Ideal_Rock
We will be having about 4 hours of coverage for our day. BUT it's just the two of us for our elopement, so we should have more than enough to capture the whole day.

Depending on the size of your guest list and the amount of family portraits and other special shots you want, I think for a real wedding that 4 hours is really the minimum up to 8 or 10 if it's a really late wedding and you want to capture it all.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
I am having 10 hrs of photography with 2 shooters.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone said a videographer would be a waste of money. Sigh. I wish I would have gotten a videographer!!!! I do have a video of our wedding, taken by a family member, and we have watched it many times. It would have been nice to have a professional video as well.

I wish I would have paid for a second photographer. That was an option and I didn't do it and I think it would have increased my satisfaction with my photos ten-fold. As it stands, I am not very happy with our photos. I chose a very popular photographer in the area and for the life of me, I can't see what went wrong. I'm thinking maybe her second shooter is the one who gets all of the epic shots!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
We had "all day" coverage with our photography package. Our primary shooter arrived at 10 AM and shot both the hair and makeup process for me, as well as all the details pre-dressing. Second shooter arrived at 11 AM to start shooting the boys. Both stayed through our 9 PM grand exit from the reception.

For us it was the perfect amount of coverage.

(FYI, we had a 2:30 PM ceremony and 5:30 PM reception, no first look, so only separate formals were done before the ceremony.)

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
We booked 2 photographers and 2 videographers for 10 hours :) My wedding is at 12 noon and my reception starts at 6pm. We really wanted to invest in this because it's what we'll be enjoying for years to come :) The total package comes to approximately $6.5k with 4 albums and 1 picture canvas as well, since they also own a printing company. We even got a free engagement shoot and video :)

Do you think we got a good deal?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ladidalola|1373601381|3481586 said:
We booked 2 photographers and 2 videographers for 10 hours :) My wedding is at 12 noon and my reception starts at 6pm. We really wanted to invest in this because it's what we'll be enjoying for years to come :) The total package comes to approximately $6.5k with 4 albums and 1 picture canvas as well, since they also own a printing company. We even got a free engagement shoot and video :)

Do you think we got a good deal?

Sounds like a great deal! (at least from what I've seen in this area)

To get 2 photographers for 10 hours around here (best price I've found without going to the little towns over the mountains) runs about $4,000-5,000. Add a single videographer for that time at another $4,000 +/-
Each album added to a package seems to run about $400 and a canvas starts around $200 (going WAY up depending on size wanted).

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Great deal! Paying $5,500 for my photography and a whopping $7,500 for video :errrr:
These do NOT include engagement shoot or albums. :nono:

audball

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe how expensive photography and videography is. Painful. We never could have afforded a good photographer if we hadn't decided to elope. All day coverage would have been completely out of budget for us.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1374070068|3484660 said:
I can't believe how expensive photography and videography is. Painful. We never could have afforded a good photographer if we hadn't decided to elope. All day coverage would have been completely out of budget for us.

I almost dropped my jaw at the $6,500 price quote. I mean, they are getting a ton of good stuff, but I would never have been able to justify that, personally. Our entire wedding was around $7k and I really wish we would have stayed under that. Its one day afterall.

I do think if you can justify the spending, the money is so worth it for a great photographer!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!

My wedding planning has commenced... and I had NO idea wedding photography and a videographer would be SO expensive!!! Combined they are the cost of our venue. ;( ;(

For photography (2 people with 7 hours of pictures) and a videographer (1 person with 7 hours of filming) we are looking at 7k. OMG. :(sad But I know if I don't invest in this I will regret it. A family friend who is an amateur photographer volunteered to take pics but I'm just not comfortable with it.

Here is the photographer I want: http://www.shannonstellmacherphotography.com/

Her photos are absolutely stunning! I haven't booked her yet because I haven't gathered the money to reserver her services for the day (I just paid the deposit on the venue last week )... but I am crossing my fingers she will still be available when I have the funds ready in a few weeks! Gosh the cost is already adding up. :-o

Question for all - do you think it's worth it to have 2 videographer's or will I be fine with 1? The cost for an additional one and 25 more hours worth of editing will increase the price by about 1.5k... I'm not sure if it's worth it. What do you think?

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I think FI had sticker shock when it came to wedding. He thought 2K would be enough, but we're looking at 2800-3100 for 8 hours of coverage with ONE photographer, digital files, and I think some prints. We looked at prices for 2 photographers, and they started at $6400 :-o We threw out the idea of a videographer a long time ago, there is no way we'd be able to afford that, and my hope is that with everyone and their smart phones, they can get some short videos and send them to us.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
We'll be spending in the realm of 6k i think, for 2 photographers and 10hours coverage. No albums or video. But really Im not sure how it will pan out as we cant even manage to pick a date/venue!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
maple2012|1374371291|3487031 said:
Hi Everyone!

My wedding planning has commenced... and I had NO idea wedding photography and a videographer would be SO expensive!!! Combined they are the cost of our venue. ;( ;(

For photography (2 people with 7 hours of pictures) and a videographer (1 person with 7 hours of filming) we are looking at 7k. OMG. :(sad But I know if I don't invest in this I will regret it. A family friend who is an amateur photographer volunteered to take pics but I'm just not comfortable with it.

Her photos are absolutely stunning! I haven't booked her yet because I haven't gathered the money to reserver her services for the day (I just paid the deposit on the venue last week )... but I am crossing my fingers she will still be available when I have the funds ready in a few weeks! Gosh the cost is already adding up. :-o

Question for all - do you think it's worth it to have 2 videographer's or will I be fine with 1? The cost for an additional one and 25 more hours worth of editing will increase the price by about 1.5k... I'm not sure if it's worth it. What do you think?

Maple, i just checked out the photographer you would like - amazing!! beautiful pictures, great choice :love: no idea about video though, im inclined to say stick with one and use the $$ on your honeymoon...but then 2 videographers would be able to vary the shot angles i suppose to make the film more....um, dimensional?! yeah im not sure =)

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
@ Blackpaw: thank you! I'm super excited about booking! Lets hope I can get that deposit saved up. :errrr:

TO EVERYONE: Is it common to NOT get prints with your photographer's package? And have to order those separately or get the files and to take care of that part yourself?

audball

Ideal_Rock
maple2012|1375754750|3497352 said:
TO EVERYONE: Is it common to NOT get prints with your photographer's package? And have to order those separately or get the files and to take care of that part yourself?
I think this is pretty common. Of all the photography quotes I got, none of them included any prints.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ Blackpaw: thank you! I'm super excited about booking! Lets hope I can get that deposit saved up. :errrr:

One of the photographers we looked at did no prints. Most of the others do minimal prints and then the rest are up to us to get done on our own. I actually prefer this so that I have time to look for just the right ones and can have them printed at the quality I prefer.

The one requirement we have is that we get ALL files (taken with a high-res camera) and releases.

Most we've looked at do have the option of adding on prints if we want but they contract to the same places we could deal with directly.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
TooPatient|1375755670|3497362 said:

One of the photographers we looked at did no prints. Most of the others do minimal prints and then the rest are up to us to get done on our own. I actually prefer this so that I have time to look for just the right ones and can have them printed at the quality I prefer.

The one requirement we have is that we get ALL files (taken with a high-res camera) and releases.

Most we've looked at do have the option of adding on prints if we want but they contract to the same places we could deal with directly.

OOooo! That is good to know. I wasn't sure if I was being cheated. One photographer I'm looking at includes no prints but states that I get all the digital files so I can print. I was assuming they were high resolution digital but I should clarify?

A different photographer includes a 50 page album and an engagement session and day after wedding session (trash the dress if we want or something else) - but these extras cost 2k on top of the 2k for wedding day photography.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be cheaper and better if I just got ordered my own prints since I dont want or need an engagement session or trash the dress.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maple2012|1375841451|3497964 said:
TooPatient|1375755670|3497362 said:

OOooo! That is good to know. I wasn't sure if I was being cheated. One photographer I'm looking at includes no prints but states that I get all the digital files so I can print. I was assuming they were high resolution digital but I should clarify?

A second photographer includes a 50 page album and an engagement session and day after wedding session (trash the dress if we want or something else) - but these extras cost 2k.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be cheaper and better if I just got ordered my own prints since I dont want or need an engagement session or trash the dress.

Definitely clarify high resolution. I don't think I've talked to any who don't use this but it never hurts to be sure.

A lot of them are good at doing a custom package so if you really like someone you could ask about leaving off some of the extras to save $$.

Find somewhere good to get prints. There are lots of places out there and some do not so good quality. I personally like this option because I can get high quality prints for where I really want them and then get good enough for really cheap. (plus the ability to e-mail to everyone!)

The one benefit to an engagement session is that you get to know your photographer. I'm close enough now that we probably won't get to do this, but I've heard other people really love this time. It lets you and your FI get comfortable with the photographer so that you aren't trying to learn to work together on the day of your wedding.

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
maple2012|1374371291|3487031 said:
Hi Everyone!

Wow :) her pictures are stunning! definitely go with this photographer... her portfolio is amazing. I should stop looking at other photographers since I booked mine already! So many different photography/videography styles but they're all great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results