shape
carat
color
clarity

photographer contract

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

I've been searching and meeting with photographers and feel that I've found the one that I love the most. When looking through her contract there were a few things I would like to change. Namely is the timing of payment. I would like to hold some payment until the wedding day and delivery of products (albums etc). Her contract currently calls for a retainer now, another payment 90 days and final payment 15 days prior to the weddimg. I would like pay a retainer, some amount 90 days prior, some amount on the wedding day and the small remainder when albums are delivered.

Was your contract similar to hers (now, 90, 15 days) or similar and did you negotiate to change some of the terms? I'm hoping to get a few responses to know what is normal for the industry. Did you negotiate terms of many of your contracts with other vendors?

Just getting used to this process. Thanks for your responses.

So_In_Love

Rough_Rock
The way our photographer has this set up is that we give him $1, 000 as a deposit when we sign the contract, and half of the remaining payment 14 days before the wedding, and the other half when we pick up the albums. He said that he doesnt like to receive all the money before the wedding because this way he is motivated to finish the albums quickly :D (the contract states they would be ready no longer than 8 weeks after the wedding).

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
Thanks So_In_Love, that sounds like a perfect agreement for payment.

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
We have the now, 90, 15 contract but I'm satisfied with it. She's extremely reputable so it never really crossed my mind. But talk to the photographer if you aren't comfortable. The worst thing they can say is no :))

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
We paid 50% at booking, and 50% 30 days before the wedding. I didn't question it at the time, but after some lingering issues about delivery of items, I do wish we had negotiated to hold a percentage until delivery.

From the photographer's point of view, by holding off on part of the payment they risk a client not paying them simply because they "don't like" the photographs. So I do see where they are coming from by requiring everything up front.

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
I realize that the worst thing that they can say is no. That being said, both my parents are lawyers and are paying for my wedding, so being knowledgable about contracts and contract law they won't pay everything prior to the wedding. So if the photographer says no, then I have to find someone else :( .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results