shape
carat
color
clarity

Philly Restaurant Recommendations... and must see places?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Hi PS''ers!
35.gif

Anyone out there from Philly???
Going there in 2 weeks and would LOVE some recommendations on some great restaurants and things that are a "must see".

Can I really find some great stuff on Antique Row?

Thanks for your help!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Have not lived there for a couple years but this is what I know...

The art museum with the Rocky steps is a must see tourist attraction, it is at the end of Fairmount Park which is beautiful with a bunch of row houses (philly has some big Crew races)
Also the liberty bell is there
Soicity hill - lots of old row houses and cobblestone streets
There is great shopping on Chestnut and Walnut st (with a Tiffany''s)
South Street is fun, kind of the hip liberal place

As for restaurants my favorite was Continental, I think it was on 2nd and Market (?) but there are so many good ones

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 9:12:15 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Have not lived there for a couple years but this is what I know...

The art museum with the Rocky steps is a must see tourist attraction, it is at the end of Fairmount Park which is beautiful with a bunch of row houses (philly has some big Crew races)
Also the liberty bell is there
Soicity hill - lots of old row houses and cobblestone streets
There is great shopping on Chestnut and Walnut st (with a Tiffany''s)
South Street is fun, kind of the hip liberal place

As for restaurants my favorite was Continental, I think it was on 2nd and Market (?) but there are so many good ones
Thanks LtlFirecracker -- I appreciate your reply. Any suggestions on places to buy antique jewlery? Thanks again!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, really couldn''t afford jewelry when I lived there :(

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
lovewhitediamonds, what kind of food are you looking for? I can definitely recommend some restaurants, but it would help to know cuisine, price range, where you''re staying, etc. In the meantime, a couple of my absolute favorites are Divan, a Turkish place at 22nd and Carpenter (kind of a crummy area, but getting better and fine if you go by cab -- just make sure to ask them to call you a cab toward the end of your meal, if you go); Mixto, a Latin American restaurant at 11th and Pine; Monk''s at 16th between Spruce and Lombard if you like Belgian-style beers and pub food; La Viola a couple doors down for yummy Italian (cash only, and BYOB).

I''ve never actually shopped on Antique Row, you may be able to find some good deals but it seems to have faded away a bit. Like LtlFirecracker, I can''t really afford jewelry, but hopefully Madame Bijoux or Kaleigh or some other Philly-area PSers will chime in for you!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where are you staying?

Any Stephen Starr restaurant is great (Budakan, El Vez, Continental)...I also highly recommend Barclay Prime if you eat steak. It is awesome and the ambience is great. Alma and Asia de Cuba are not bad either. I think that there are awesome places to go. There is a great tapas place called Tinto in the city, and Rouge and Bleu on Rittenhouse Square are great too. La Croix is nice for a more formal dinner, and Marathon Grill is great for a quick salad if you are running around the city.

Our Art museum and the Rodin museum are wonderful and Manayunk is a fun scene to stroll up and down.

I know there are some antique dealers on the Main Line who have some jewelry, but I am not up on people in town. Freeman's is an auction house at 1808 Chestnut in the city and they often have jewelry auctions.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 12:17:40 AM
Author: diamondfan
Where are you staying?

Any Stephen Starr restaurant is great (Budakan, El Vez, Continental)...I also highly recommend Barclay Prime if you eat steak. It is awesome and the ambience is great. Alma and Asia de Cuba are not bad either. I think that there are awesome places to go. There is a great tapas place called Tinto in the city, and Rouge and Bleu on Rittenhouse Square are great too. La Croix is nice for a more formal dinner, and Marathon Grill is great for a quick salad.
Those are the ones I would recommend too. There is also Captail Grill. And another Stephen Star is POD, it''s on Penn''s campus, I love it.

As for what to see:
Liberty Bell
Art Museum
Philadelphia Zoo
Franklin Institute

I''d do rouge for lunch, it''s a great spot, especially in the summer. Great shopping near by too.

Have fun!!

Oh and you have to have a philly cheese steak while you are here...
18.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, Lisa. Rouge and Bleu are great for people watching on Rittenhouse Square. Pod is amazing, the food is wonderful and it is cool to be there, Stephen Starr has awesome vision and almost all of his restaurants are great.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I forgot about Tinto! And its sister restaurant, Amada, which is in Old City. Both yummy.

Bleu doesn't exist anymore, but there's a new Stephen Starr restaurant where it once was, sort of a French bistro-y feel. It's called Parc, or maybe Parc Rittenhouse (something like that, anyway) and it just opened a week or so ago.

I'm not a huge fan of SS's restaurants -- Buddakhan is good but I've had not-so-good experiences at Jones, Alma de Cuba, and Continental Midtown. El Vez is all right but definitely not my pick for Mexican food in that price range (I prefer Tequila's and I'm dying to try the new-ish BYOB, Lolita, which I've heard is fabulous). My best friend, on the other hand, worships the ground SS walks on. It's funny to hear from more SS fans!

allikatac

Shiny_Rock
I second the continental suggestion!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Overall I think that Stephen Starr's restaurants are great. Continental and Midtown can be very noisy so be prepared but the food is great.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Not from Philly but visit often. MY faves:

Caribou Cafe in Center City (French) or Cuba Libre - 10 South 2nd Street (Cuban/Latin)...both semi-casual, the food fantastic and moderately priced.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
i would stick with anything stephen starr... the continental is my favorite... you have got to try the buzz aldrin.. and you might see someone famous as well.. they have a great clientele! have fun!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
awwww I miss philly, just moved about 45-50 min away a month ago
7.gif
we miss it soo much already.

anyway, my recommendations: I''ll skip talking about the stephen starr places- they''re fun for the scene, but overrated IMO. Still we hit them up from time to time.

Depending on what you want-

Sabrina''s Cafe, our favorite brunch in the city. It''s right next to the Italian Market, which is another of my Philly favs. Definitely a cool scene to check out, moreso on the weekends. It''s at 9th and Christian- on the weekends, look for the crowd outside
1.gif

I''ll second Monk''s if you like Belgian beer (ridiculous beer list!) and fabulous burgers.

Gelato- Capogiro, they have a couple locations now. Pricey, but worth it!!

OH, another good one- Reading Terminal Market http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/ They have alllllllll kinds of goodies- a fab lunch place; I can wander around there for hours. I would absolutely check this place out if you have time.

Mixto, also previously mentioned, is another fav of ours b/c it was just a couple blocks away from our apartment. Very nice brunch. (it''s right on antique row, since you''re interested in that)

I''m not much help re: the antiques, even though I lived a block away from there. It''s a fun neighborhood to walk around and get a nice lunch or dinner though.

Let us know what neighboorhoods you''ll be in, and what kind of places you''re looking for and then we can make some other recs. And enjoy!! Philly is an awesome city.

Octavia- my hubs and I loooove Lolita. So yummy. lovewhitediamonds- Lolita is a BYO upscale "Mexican". The same owners also have a similar restaurant across the street that has "Indian" food, called Bindi. Located on 13th St between Samson and Chestnut.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
haven''t been online all day -- sorry for the late reply...

a BIG THANKS to: LtlFirecracker, Octavia, Diamond Fan, Kaleigh,allikatac, Bia, cbs102, and icekid! Thanks for all your great suggestions!!!

Our hotel is on South Broad Street... and I definitely want to see the sights (Liberty Bell, Rodin, Library steps etc) Really want to see Ben Franklins gravesite too... cool history. We will only be there for an extended weekend -- but hope to get a lot in.
Would it be worth it to drive to Baltimore too??

Monks, Lolita, LaViola, Lombard, Continental, Sabrina''s-- oh boy! You guys have me so excited for the trip!!! Thanks again for your replies!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I always liked the original Continental better than the one on Midtown. I know they are supposed to be the same, but the original one is quieter if you sit in a room away from the main bar and the menu was a little different. Just my opinion.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
For something different and a lot of fun, check out Victor Cafe (an Italian place on Dickinson St in south Philly). All of the waitstaff are trained opera singers/opera students, and every 15 minutes a bell rings, everyone quiets down, and one of the waitstaff sings an aria! It''s dinner and a concert all rolled into one. Everyone I''ve ever taken there has thought it was fabulous! The lounge on the second floor of the restaurant is also a nice place for a drink before or after dinner.

Matyson, just off Rittenhouse Square is also a good one to try- contemporary American cuisine, BYOB.

As for what to do in the city, I think the Penn Archaeology Museum is fascinating and not to be missed (lots of Egyptian artifacts and tons more). The Barnes Foundation is also worth a visit if you are an art fan, and the Mutter Museum (a museum of medical anomalies) is good for something different.

Have fun in Philadelphia!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 7:26:24 PM
Author: havernell
For something different and a lot of fun, check out Victor Cafe (an Italian place on Dickinson St in south Philly). All of the waitstaff are trained opera singers/opera students, and every 15 minutes a bell rings, everyone quiets down, and one of the waitstaff sings an aria! It''s dinner and a concert all rolled into one. Everyone I''ve ever taken there has thought it was fabulous! The lounge on the second floor of the restaurant is also a nice place for a drink before or after dinner.

Matyson, just off Rittenhouse Square is also a good one to try- contemporary American cuisine, BYOB.

As for what to do in the city, I think the Penn Archaeology Museum is fascinating and not to be missed (lots of Egyptian artifacts and tons more). The Barnes Foundation is also worth a visit if you are an art fan, and the Mutter Museum (a museum of medical anomalies) is good for something different.

Have fun in Philadelphia!
Thanks havernell! Victor Cafe sounds very cool -- is it kid friendly? Oooo... my 5 year old is really into "mummies and Eygpt" right now -- he will LOVE the Penn Archaeology Museum! Thank you so much!
36.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I do not advise you take you 5 year old to the Mutter museum. Trust me on this one. The other one sounds cool.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
There''s also a pirate exhibit on at the Franklin Institute right now -- it''s one of the special exhibits where you have to pay extra, but if your son is into pirates, it could be worth it (haven''t been yet, so I don''t know for sure). The Natural History Museum is right down the street from the Franklin Institute, too... For other fun stuff, check out Philly Fun Guide -- it has lots of info about the goings-on around town.

I live right near where you''ll be staying, and it''s so convenient to everything. The historic stuff is a bit of a walk (~10-15 blocks, so 20-25 minutes at a quick pace and probably 35-40 at a leisurely stroll) but a super quick cab ride. There are buses that run, as well, but I don''t often take them so I''m no good on routes. I definitely wouldn''t suggest driving, though, since parking is a nightmare most everywhere in Center City. Rittenhouse Square is an easy walk. You''d probably want to cab to the museums, or catch the Phlash Bus (bright purple...you can''t miss it!).

If you wander a little north and east of the main historic area (up toward the Betsy Ross House and Elfreth''s Alley), there are lots of trendy boutiques, art galleries, and other neat shops. And a FANTASTIC used book/record store right across the street from Christ Church.

Is your son a picky eater? I ask only because most of the restaurants I know aren''t particularly kid-friendly (not in the sense that you couldn''t bring a child there, but they might not have too much on the menu for little ones). La Viola and Sabrina''s are probably good for that, though.

I hope you have fun!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 8:41:39 PM
Author: Octavia
There''s also a pirate exhibit on at the Franklin Institute right now -- it''s one of the special exhibits where you have to pay extra, but if your son is into pirates, it could be worth it (haven''t been yet, so I don''t know for sure). The Natural History Museum is right down the street from the Franklin Institute, too... For other fun stuff, check out Philly Fun Guide -- it has lots of info about the goings-on around town.

I live right near where you''ll be staying, and it''s so convenient to everything. The historic stuff is a bit of a walk (~10-15 blocks, so 20-25 minutes at a quick pace and probably 35-40 at a leisurely stroll) but a super quick cab ride. There are buses that run, as well, but I don''t often take them so I''m no good on routes. I definitely wouldn''t suggest driving, though, since parking is a nightmare most everywhere in Center City. Rittenhouse Square is an easy walk. You''d probably want to cab to the museums, or catch the Phlash Bus (bright purple...you can''t miss it!).

If you wander a little north and east of the main historic area (up toward the Betsy Ross House and Elfreth''s Alley), there are lots of trendy boutiques, art galleries, and other neat shops. And a FANTASTIC used book/record store right across the street from Christ Church.

Is your son a picky eater? I ask only because most of the restaurants I know aren''t particularly kid-friendly (not in the sense that you couldn''t bring a child there, but they might not have too much on the menu for little ones). La Viola and Sabrina''s are probably good for that, though.

I hope you have fun!
Thanks again Octavia
35.gif
I really appreciate all this wonderful info!!! We have never been to Philly, and are really looking forward to it. The Pirate exhibit sounds great. Also, DH LOVES Burgers and beer -- so we will for sure check out Monk''s. T H A N K Y O U !!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can also go to the Franklin Institute, the Please Touch Museum (newly relocated and I am certain it is yet open so check) and the Museum of Natural History,

You can also do a Duck Boat Tour along the river, and there are trolley tours of old city and historic sites. Philly is a city of firsts so it is interesting. The zoo is okay, and the Constitution Center cool but maybe not for a 5 year old.

mel047

Shiny_Rock
Not from Philly, but been there several times to visit a friend.

Just wanted to second the two restaurants I loved there:
La Croix
Amada

Also, don''t forget either Pat''s or Geno''s for cheesesteaks!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Amata is very good too, have not been there.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 8:17:07 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds

Thanks havernell! Victor Cafe sounds very cool -- is it kid friendly? Oooo... my 5 year old is really into ''mummies and Eygpt'' right now -- he will LOVE the Penn Archaeology Museum! Thank you so much!
36.gif

Ummm, I don''t know if Victor Cafe has a kids menu or not. It''s not the first place I''d pick to take a child, but I have definitely seen children there before, so it''s not the worst either. If you think your son would get a kick out of the singing, I say go for it.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
I TOTALLY agree with the old school continental.. my mom used to eat lunch there when it was still a diner back in the 80''s!

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 10:29:03 PM
Author: diamondfan
You can also go to the Franklin Institute, the Please Touch Museum (newly relocated and I am certain it is yet open so check) and the Museum of Natural History,

You can also do a Duck Boat Tour along the river, and there are trolley tours of old city and historic sites. Philly is a city of firsts so it is interesting. The zoo is okay, and the Constitution Center cool but maybe not for a 5 year old.
Thanks again Diamond Fan, mel047, cbs102, and havernell....we will check out all the places you recommended. I really appreciate all your suggestions. The Continental (old school) sounds wonderful -- and I do think we would enjoy the Victor Cafe and my son would get a kick out of the singing...The Duck Boat Tour along the river is another great idea -- and the trolley tour of historic sites sounds fascinating.

... so no great estate jewelry places that I have to hit while I''m there?
31.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really do not know any that I could refer you to...

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Linde Meyer, which is a store in Liberty Place, has outstanding estate jewelry. She has things that range from Victorian through the 1960's, and all of it is in excellent condition. Another good estate jeweler is A H Hadley at 123 S. Broad St.. Suite 1644, phone 215-545-0397. I believe you need an appointment for A H Hadley.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 3:51:00 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Linde Meyer, which is a store in Libery Place, has outstanding estate jewelry. She has things that range from Victorian through the 1960''s, and all of it is in excellent condition. Another good estate jeweler is A H Hadley at 123 S. Broad St.. Suite 1644, phone 215-545-0397. I believe you need an appointment for A H Hadley.
Thanks DF and Madam Bijoux...

MB... great info, I will check out Linde Meyer and call to make an appt at A H Hadley
thankyou.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results