shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet Parents Best Pet insurance for CKCS

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
:wavey:
My tri color Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy has been home for a week now and he is a delight! :love:
Cavaliers are notorious for developing many health conditions, this has led me in the search for pet insurance for this little guy.
Most of the pet owners I personally know think I'm bananas for caring so much. They can't understand that he is not just a pet- he's my furbaby, and they don't believe in insurance for their dogs. As a concerned petparent I want to make sure JC is covered. I've done some research into different plans Healthy Paws and Petplan are highly recommended. Can any pet parent advise?
TIA!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a tricolor male, Sebastian, he's now two years old. We only carry catastrophic insurance and we have Embrace. I did custom terms and my coverage is about $250 per year so far. We have thankfully not had to use it as of yet. This is a picture of him with our son Benjamin a few weeks ago :appl:

miller_baby_portraits-15.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have Petplan for our Golden Retriever. We've been really satisfied with it and they reimburse lightening fast. We have used it.....a lot. :))

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover said:
I have a tricolor male, Sebastian, he's now two years old. We only carry catastrophic insurance and we have Embrace. I did custom terms and my coverage is about $250 per year so far. We have thankfully not had to use it as of yet. This is a picture of him with our son Benjamin a few weeks ago :appl:

Congratulations Asscherhalo_lover!! Both of your boys are beautiful. & Thank you for replying I'm looking into embrace as well now.

We went to the vet today and he suggested Trupanion.

I tried uploading an image but for some reason they are upside down.

img_10838.jpg

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
JDDN|1455938014|3993170 said:
We have Petplan for our Golden Retriever. We've been really satisfied with it and they reimburse lightening fast. We have used it.....a lot. :))

Thanks for the JDDN! I read that they increase their prices every year is this right?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
We have VPI (I believe they are changing their name - they are a nationwide brand). We carry major Medical on both of our labs and pay around 65-70 per month combined for both dogs. We have had sick visits that were covered in full after our $100 deductible. We just had a major scare with my lab Theodore. He had an intestinal obstruction and had to have emergency surgery and care in the ICU at our local animal hospital. Bill was almost 2700 and VPI covered everything but $18!!! We are very pleased with what they have covered this far!

I also looked into trupanion and our vet suggested them as well (VPI was also on the recommended list) but the plans were super expensive. At that rate I would prefer to put the money in an acct and save for that emergency. (I think we were quoted almost 80 per dog!). They do not have limits though and the vet has had dogs get radiation/cancer tx with full payment from trupanion. I think it totaled around 14k. I don't think you can go wrong with any pet insurance, it's just the balance of cost/benefit ratio.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Petplan here (though we are in the UK) - they are amazing. Very easy to claim and reimburse quickly. Expensive but worth it I think.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
So cute!!

Be careful with insurance. I had petplan and then when my cat got cancer 2 years ago, they found all sorts of reasons not to pay and I ended up paying out of pocket. Thank goodness my cat's cancer was caught early and was able to be cured with surgical intervention (the vet got clean margins on the tumor) and she is OK now. I was lucky it was external so I could see it and brought her to the vet for the unusual lump (it was a malignant agressive mast cell tumor according to the pathology report) They called it elective surgery! She would not be alive now if it wasn't for that surgery. She lost part of her ear, and has a scar that makes her look like a bad ass kitty, but she is healthy now. I was so mad that i paid 3 years worth of premiums for 2 cats and they didn't pay out anything. Now that my kitty has a history of cancer, she is uninsurable.

What I did as of then was instead of insurance, I now deposit the amount of money I would have paid for insurance into a separate account, only to be used in case its needed. Its not for routine vet care, just emergencies. Knock on wood I have not needed to touch it and it keeps growing every month.

Insurance companies will promise you the moon and then fight like heck not to pay it.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might want to google "Consumer Reports pet insurance". Insurance often has exclusions and may only cover what they consider to be reasonable costs. I looked at a couple of insurance plans and found that I was likely to come out ahead by forgoing a policy for my cats and opting for an emergency fund instead.

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the advise! I ended up going with Trupanion for this little guy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another insurance?
No thanks.

I'll just put that premium money in the bank.
If I ever need it I'll spend it on vet bills.
If not I'll buy some 30 carat flawless Fancy Vivid Pink diamonds. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results