shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet Help & Tips

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
On the diamond board, we digressed w/ some pet information. We discussed the responibility owning a pet involves.

Maybe we can each post some advice that owner''s may not be aware of.

For example:

- Onions & Chocolate are very toxic to dogs.

- It is necessary to change cats diets as they age. Renal failure is the leading disease in cats. The amount of fat & protien need to be adjusted as the cats age.

Anyone else? Or anyone with a behavioral problem and/or solution?

shelbyscout

Rough_Rock
For dog owners, two words:

Crate Training.

Shelby
read.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
When training does not work too well
I have something that is great....

Go to Pet Smart and buy "Nature's Miracle"
The stuff is really top rate.

Pour it on your carpet
The stains will go away

It's gotten my little Yorkie
Out of the "dog house" on many a day.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I use BP's pet odor eliminator. It will neutralize cat urine.

A good way to clean dog's teeth is guaze & baking soda. Also, all dogs do not have to be under anethesia to have their teeth cleaned by a vet.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/13/2003 7:13:18 PM shelbyscout wrote:

For dog owners, two words:

Crate Training.

Shelby
read.gif

----------------

My pups love their little "dens".

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Pets can be a major soap box for me.
My grandmother for instance.
She has a 6-10 mo.? peek-a-poo
14.gif

She signed up for a 6 wk dog obediance school, in which she only went one day, and decided it wasn't for her dog because she couldn't get her to calm down once they were there. $60 bucks down the tube.
I've come to the conclusion that once my grandparents get a dog, there (dogs) brains turn to mush. And I blame them.
If I've heard "Oh, she's just a puppy, or she's excited" one more time, IM gonna pee on the rug
2.gif

I've found with ALL of the animals I've owned, that they're alot like kids.
You have to rule with a heavy hand at times, but love them to death. They'll respect you.
I had a horse that knew I meant business with a certain tone, and especially when I'd get hold of an ear. (Not being mean) He'd stand there like a whooped pup. But was always happy to see me.
All of our dogs have been trained not to jump up on people, and bark for no reason other than to alert us of something out of the ordinary. They even know the meaning of "kennel up", and I never have to worry about them going far when were outside.
So for those that have "problems" with their dogs, they should really see if they have the time to work with them before they buy one.
Just like kids. It's a privelage, not a right.
If you like your dog the way it is, fine. But don't impose there bad behavior on someone else, and expect them to like it.
Done.
Was I too harsh
9.gif

AND... this was not meant towards any posters here.
Just an addage to the thread
wavey.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Our dog gets only dog food and dog biscuits, no table scraps or left over junk
food. This dog is more healthier then then the rest we use to have. My son is in
college undergoing veterinarian studies and has educated us on what's good for
them and what is not.

andrea

Shiny_Rock
I definitely agree. It's so easy to make garbage guts out of them. Cats too.
My dad has a black lab that weighs almost 100#, and refuses to eat his dog chow unless it's got canned food mixed with it. As well as table scraps he feeds him.
Canned dog, or cat food isn't the best for them either.
They need the hard food to keep the plaque build-up to a minimum. Plus, the soft food gives them nasty breath.
We don't eat dog/cat chow, so why should we feed them people chow
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/14/2003 11
6.gif
0:54 PM andrea wrote:

Pets can be a major soap box for me.
My grandmother for instance.
She has a 6-10 mo.? peek-a-poo
14.gif

She signed up for a 6 wk dog obediance school, in which she only went one day, and decided it wasn't for her dog because she couldn't get her to calm down once they were there. $60 bucks down the tube.
I've come to the conclusion that once my grandparents get a dog, there (dogs) brains turn to mush. And I blame them.
If I've heard "Oh, she's just a puppy, or she's excited" one more time, IM gonna pee on the rug
2.gif

----------------

LOLOLOL
1.gif

My dad always said, "Dogs are only as smart as the owner."

Cats:
No chocolate. Not even a taste of chocolate ice cream. It's not the caffiene. It's another chemical called theobromine. It causes their hearts to race setting up a heart attack or atrial fibrillation.

Also, when your neighbor's dog dies and gives you left over food for the cat, don't feed your cat dog food. He/She can go blind if they eat only dog food for an extended period of time. Cats have to have taurine for their vision. Taurine comes from meat sources only unless added as a nutrient in cat foods. Dog food does not have taurine added.
2.gif

What a great sharing experience, F&I. Glad you started this thread!
9.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great thread. I totally agree with Andrea. I have a cat and she is my child. I have had her for 11 years this coming June and she is actually 11 people years old this week. Don't get a pet if you don't have the time to invest. Also, don't get a pet "for the children" unless the parents are willing to assume the responsibility of yet another living creature that needs your care and affection. Would you give a kid to a child to take care of? I don't think so and pets are very much like children in that they cannot take care of themselves without help but, they never grow up, they just age and need more care. Very few children have the capacity to be responsible for another living being so the pet is neglected and given up to anti-cruelty.

I'm getting long winded about this subject. I've seen this happen way too many times and it's so upsetting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results